Advice on a pre owned 2012 SVT Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 12:30 PM
Csilcox
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on a pre owned 2012 SVT Raptor

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out for some guidance on what to look for when purchasing a used 2012 Raptor. I found this truck with 30k miles. It's the Crew Cab with the 6.2 and 6 speed automatic transmission. It also says it has a 4.10 gear ratio. Is this the only option for engine that year? What should I be aware of when looking it over or test driving it? I'm in the collision management industry but I have not had much experience or knowledge of these trucks. I am more looking for advice on known issues with power train and drive train problems or signs of problems. They are expensive vehicles and I would hate to buy a problem truck. Thank you in advance as any of your comments would be appreciated.

Last edited by Csilcox; 02-21-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Title
Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 455 Likes on 332 Posts
Yes, that's the only engine offered for that year.
Most of the parts are the same as the same year of F150, aside from suspension and fenders.

I haven't heard any reliability concerns with the 6.2L engine, but I would assume anyone who bought the raptor planned to use the engine pretty hard, so I guess you should look for signs of abuse. I would for sure look to at least visually inspect all the suspension components to make sure nothing is cracked.

Hopefully someone with more raptor-specific knowledge can come along soon-ish and help you out more.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:00 PM
phydough
Senior User
Along with looking for regular used car buying stuff. Look at the skid plates for excessive use/abuse. Look at the transmission crossmember and mounts, are they bent towards the rear? Look for leaking shocks. Are the rear shock shaft guards there? Check the bed to cab gap, it should be equal from top to bottom.

The good news is, most Raptors were used by soccer moms and guys who just want to look cool. Yeah, some have been abused, but there is a difference between abuse and using it to its fullest extent. An abused Raptor will be obvious.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM
CuNmUdF250
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That thing is pretty much new still,I wouldn't worry about it ......like any used purchase just look for signs of abuse or obvious leaks in engine bay or under truck but that engine is solid I'd be all over it if price was right but 30k mile used Raps are out of my price range, all the ones I could by have 100k on em......good luck

Old 02-23-2016, 07:02 PM
Csilcox
New User
Thank You!

Thank you all for your feedback. I was thinking there may be some known issues with the truck that people were experiencing but it's good to know there isn't much listed.my f150 has a shift programming issue that continues to give me problems that require a return trip th the dealer for adjustment. Is the transmission in the raptor the same trans? I didn't find any TSB's listed and there are no recalls specific to the Raptor just F150 in general. The bed to cab gap is something I will defiantly look at along with the under carriage and the suspension. This truck is very clean and straight and appears to have been well cared for. Hopefully it's as solid as it appears in the photos. Thank you all once again.
Originally Posted by phydough
Along with looking for regular used car buying stuff. Look at the skid plates for excessive use/abuse. Look at the transmission crossmember and mounts, are they bent towards the rear? Look for leaking shocks. Are the rear shock shaft guards there? Check the bed to cab gap, it should be equal from top to bottom.

The good news is, most Raptors were used by soccer moms and guys who just want to look cool. Yeah, some have been abused, but there is a difference between abuse and using it to its fullest extent. An abused Raptor will be obvious.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:39 AM
phydough
Senior User
Same transmission. I think the biggest Raptor specific problem is the third brake light gasket allowing water into the light and interior. The light gets wet inside and throws some TCS and hill descent codes. Warranty item, no guff from my dealer when it happened to me several years ago.

Get it, drive it and enjoy it!

Old 06-15-2017, 10:52 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
All good info... I'm in a similar boat as the OP... Looking to purchase in the next month or so. I had some transmission issues on my 2010 FX4- nothing major but I'm hopping they've worked out the bugs on any Raptor I end up getting.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:58 AM
shoracer
New User
Test the 4wd when test driving. When I purchased mine the first two I test drove had issues with the 4wd system. Sounded like a box of rock rolling down a hill.

Second salesperson just looked at me and said guess you don't want to buy it. Lol, yeah no.