6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

New injector problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 04:41 PM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I received a call from a ford customer service rep yesterday he said That I will be satisfied and happy when I get my truck back and I went by the dealer and my parts came in, things are looking better hopefully ford follows through. I was worried about metal getting into my engine and potentially causing damage to the engine. The mechanic showed me the metal shavings that was in the fuel and I had a very lengthy conversation he's a great guy and is very knowable he eased my concerns. Hopefully I get my truck back soon so I can stop the bleeding and stop losing money, I need my truck to make money and pay my bills

Old 02-18-2016, 06:28 AM
Thom12
Senior User
did the tech offer any idea as to where the metal came from if it wasn't the HPFP?

Old 02-18-2016, 07:57 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DerekF350disel
I received a call from a ford customer service rep yesterday he said That I will be satisfied and happy when I get my truck back and I went by the dealer and my parts came in, things are looking better hopefully ford follows through. I was worried about metal getting into my engine and potentially causing damage to the engine. The mechanic showed me the metal shavings that was in the fuel and I had a very lengthy conversation he's a great guy and is very knowable he eased my concerns. Hopefully I get my truck back soon so I can stop the bleeding and stop losing money, I need my truck to make money and pay my bills
Great news, DerekF350disel; I'm glad to hear that things are headed in the right direction. Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help.

Crystal

Old 02-18-2016, 10:27 AM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
Crystal thank you for your help, can you make miracles happen and get my truck back to me by this weekend I'm sure that's out of your hands but worth a shot. They've had 8 days taking it apart and its in a 1000 pieces so I don't want them to rush putting it back together and have to come back because it was rushed, I took some pictures scary seeing my truck in that many pieces being new. Thank you again for your help Crystal.

Thom12, no that's why I want it replaced

Old 02-18-2016, 10:51 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Crystal thank you for your help, can you make miracles happen and get my truck back to me by this weekend I'm sure that's out of your hands but worth a shot. They've had 8 days taking it apart and its in a 1000 pieces so I don't want them to rush putting it back together and have to come back because it was rushed, I took some pictures scary seeing my truck in that many pieces being new. Thank you again for your help Crystal...
You're very welcome, DerekF350disel! If I could get you back behind the wheel of your truck any sooner, I absolutely would. I'd recommend reaching out to your service manager to get an ETA on when the repairs should be completed.

Crystal

Old 02-19-2016, 04:46 PM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
I just left the dealer again and talked to the ford customer service representative that Crystal had call me. The customer service rep said he can't have them replace my fuel pump the dealer tells the ford warranty dep what they find and fords warranty dep tells them what to replace and what not to and the customer can't talk to the warranty dep

Old 02-19-2016, 05:12 PM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
So ford doesn't know where the metal shavings came from and tested the fuel, drained the tank and took pictures of the parts and sent the to ford engineering. A lot of work to try to have the issue be out of warranty so I would have to pay for it. All test came back negative and they only want to replace the injectors and fuel line but NOT replace the pump the only part of the fuel system that has any moving parts sounds like ford is just kicking the can down the road. Sounds like ford is taking the cheap way out. If I had bad fuel and I had to pay for it I bet ford would make me replace the hole system exspcially the pump in order for me the keep my truck under warranty.
New truck, ford doesn't know where the metal shavings came from, ford taking a guess and hope replacing part of the fuel system will work and had my truck since February 10th
Ford customer service rep said he will be willing to pay for half the pump and Me or the dealer will have to pay for the other half. So now I have to wait until Monday to see if the GM from the dealer will pay the other half

Old 02-19-2016, 05:15 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,428 Likes on 1,021 Posts
push for an extended warranty to pay for engine/fuel system repairs in the future.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
That's not the point. They will have my truck for over 2 weeks while I'm losing money not having my truck and what if 6 months from now I'm up in the mountains camping with the wife and my pump lets go now I'm stranded with no way to go home and no cell service. Then I have to some how get it towed to the dealer and have them go through this hole process again so they can try to blame it on me because of bad fuel.
I get stranded
I have to find a way to get home
I have to get it towed to the dealer
I have to be with out my truck for another half a month
I lose more money than it would've cost to just replace the pump again not having my truck

They only have to replace a pump that may have been inevitable to fail anyway

Doesn't sound right on a new truck at almost 70K for them to save about 800 does that sound right to anyone?

Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
That's not the point. They will have my truck for over 2 weeks while I'm losing money not having my truck and what if 6 months from now I'm up in the mountains camping with the wife and my pump lets go now I'm stranded with no way to go home and no cell service. Then I have to some how get it towed to the dealer and have them go through this hole process again so they can try to blame it on me because of bad fuel.
I get stranded
I have to find a way to get home
I have to get it towed to the dealer
I have to be with out my truck for another half a month
I lose more money than it would've cost to just replace the pump again not having my truck

They only have to replace a pump that may have been inevitable to fail anyway

Doesn't sound right on a new truck at almost 70K for them to save about 800 does that sound right to anyone?
Well, it probably won't make you feel any better, but the current Duramax GM diesel trucks basically have the same fuel system (pump, injectors, etc) as our Fords and would be subject to the same exact problems.

Ford, and most manufacturers, typically won't go too far out of their way for you. In this case, they are hoping replacing the cheaper parts of the system will allow your truck to make it past 5 years or 100k miles before it fails again. I believe with near certainty if the fuel pump is the source for metal shavings, you won't get too many more miles before this problem arises again...and at that point, the dealer would need to replace everything again, including the pump. Unfortunately when you buy a vehicle, you have to play a game with warranty repairs.

For 2015, the fuel pump pistons were given a special coating which reduced friction and lubrication requirements...this coating should theoretically make the pump less susceptible to failures from poor quality fuel or contaminants. That is why I think it is unlikely your pump is the source of the shavings. I'm not sure where the shavings came from, though, and why they'd even bother to replace the high pressure lines (these can be cleaned)...but I'm not an expert.

Best of luck. I'd be happier if they replaced the whole fuel system if it were my vehicle. Maybe the dealer will help you out.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:42 PM
DerekF350disel
Freshman User
I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealer. He talked to ford and they are going to pay $900 and the dealer is going to pay the rest I think it's a $1400 part and 1 hour labor for the HPFP

Old 02-22-2016, 01:50 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
I just got off the phone with the service manager at the dealer. He talked to ford and they are going to pay $900 and the dealer is going to pay the rest I think it's a $1400 part and 1 hour labor for the HPFP
That's terrific, and for me would go a long ways towards keeping me happy as a Ford customer.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:58 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Glad it's working out.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:13 AM
Thom12
Senior User
Awesome! Glad it is working out.

Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is good news. Sorry for you being without your truck for a while, but it sounds like they did the right thing eventually, which will help you long term. If you don't already, I suggest using the Ford PM22A additive to help with lubricity/cetane in the diesel. Best of luck.

Quick Reply: New injector problems