1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1972 f100 4x4 very slow in 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 09:00 AM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont know FOR SURE, i have never had a 4x4 before. The shifter for the T-case says wheel in the middle, and then it says two on top, and four on the bottom, im assuming 2 means two wheel drive, 4 means 4 wheel drive. Im at work now, so i havnt been able to look at it too much, excited to get home. Ill post pics tonight

Old 02-09-2016, 09:24 AM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Post up pics when you get a chance. Also try finding the metal I.D tag on the t case and see what it says. That will be another way to figure out what case you have exactly.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
Old 02-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
everyone tell me how good it is! please. haha. Seriously though, i do have a few questions. I would like the truck to have a bit more get up and go, ive looked at some aftermarket stuff and im thinking maybe doing new intake/carb, and headers, should give it a little more pep. Maybe a mild Cam.

The steering is VERY loose. Driving it home the steering wheel had a lot of play and the truck swayed a bit. it has power steering. This is one of the reasons i drove it home so slow. Is this fairly normal? Im going to get under the truck and tighten what i can over the weekend, check for worn parts. ect.

The Turn signal seems very uhm, worn? it works, but i feel like it does not work well. My old bump didnt even have turn signals, so i guess this is a little better haha. Is there a aftermarket or replacement market for the turn signal guts?

Id like to be able to take this on the freeway comfortably @ 65mph so i can go camping up north. I just dont feel like its there yet. Any help would be really appreciated, i am going to go through these forums and find all the answers i can.

Im super excited about this truck!

Old 02-11-2016, 04:05 PM
D & D
Senior User
That looks pretty straight to me.

Steering - All of your bushings are probably worn, dried and cracked. I have about 1.5" of steering wheel play due to old bushings and the wide 33" tires doesn't help it any.

Turn Signal Switch - available at many places. Make sure you look at the harness plug very closely to know which one will work.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
Originally Posted by D & D
That looks pretty straight to me.

Steering - All of your bushings are probably worn, dried and cracked. I have about 1.5" of steering wheel play due to old bushings and the wide 33" tires doesn't help it any.

Turn Signal Switch - available at many places. Make sure you look at the harness plug very closely to know which one will work.
The truck is Very straight, just has some patina (which i quite like) no major dents or dings.

I figured as much, didn't think about the tires though, Ill probably order urethane bushings for everything, hopefully that solves all of that issue.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by crazed87bronco
You most likely have 4.10 or 4.56 gears in your diffs did you check them gears yet? You should be able to go more then 40MPH but your engine should be screaming around 65-70mph.

Probably one of the best things Wrecklesswisdom can do is decode the information off the certification tag on the back edge of the drivers door to see what ratio code is listed (assuming the door and/or the gears haven't been changed since the truck was built from the factory). He can also decode the rest of the tag information on his truck.

If the tag is original to the truck and if nothing has been changed, then he'll know if the front axle/rear axle ratio is low geared (higher numerically) or if it's high geared (lower numerically) or, somewhere in between.

Decoding Your 1972 Ford Truck VIN - FORDification.com

Old 02-13-2016, 01:40 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Congrats on the Bump!
Yep. Look under that rig for anything obvious. Worn out bushings, leaks, cracked brake hoses, rag joint oil or brake fluid soaked and bad, etc. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth as far as it feels loose while you're under there looking at everything that's supposed to move. Just not loose. A couple examples would be tie rod end moving like a Hula dancer's hips. Or the spindles shifting from the axle housing ends doing Yoga.
As far as taking it on trips go, Give him fresh fluids and a COMPLETE tune up. It's 40 some years old and Lawd knows when stuff has been changed. I always like to start with as clean a slate as wallet permits. I mean right down to the vacuum hoses. AND I strongly suggest you let your eyeballs dance around HioSilver's Compilation sticky on the top or our page and an attachment to his sig if/when he chimes in. He did an awesome job. You will not believe the resources and info there. He kept adding to it so start at the last page and work backwards. You'll find his LIST and see what I mean.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 AM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
I really appreciate all the info, i got under the truck over the weekend and honestly most of the rubber looks pretty good. i haven't had time to have anyone move the wheel while i check it out, but thats a great tip and i will be doing that soon. I really appreciate all the advice, im really excited to get it out onto something that isn't paved. I changed the oil and made sure it had fresh coolant. Im gunna bleed the brakes sometime this week (they are spongy), and change the plug/wires Friday. Then i think we are gunna go out to the lake and get it a little dirty. start slow.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:00 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Spongy brakes? Check out the rubber brake hoses fore and aft. If they are swelling when you apply the brakes that can cause a spongy pedal. Replace them if necessary then bleed the system.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:32 PM
chip61
New User

The Turn signal seems very uhm, worn? it works, but i feel like it does not work well. My old bump didnt even have turn signals, so i guess this is a little better haha. Is there a aftermarket or replacement market for the turn signal guts?

Im super excited about this truck![/QUOTE]

Looks like a nice soid truck! Are you looking for the turn signal switch itself?? If I can find it, I have a brand new one in the box that I never got around to installing. Let me know if you're interested and I will look for it.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:33 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
check out turnswitch.com Its just one of many places to look.

Old 02-16-2016, 08:59 AM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
Originally Posted by chip61

Looks like a nice soid truck! Are you looking for the turn signal switch itself?? If I can find it, I have a brand new one in the box that I never got around to installing. Let me know if you're interested and I will look for it.
I ordered the part i think i need off of Rockauto for like 6$. Here's to hoping its the right part!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
sand1
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Was that truck in Gila bend?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Wrecklesswisdom
Senior User
Originally Posted by sand1
Was that truck in Gila bend?

It was, brought I home about a week ago.

Quick Reply: 1972 f100 4x4 very slow in 1st?