5.4 sounds like a diesel @ startup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 10:07 PM
gkbid
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99 Expy 5.4 with 100K. Over the past few weeks it's developed a clatter at startup that sounds just like a diesel. The clatter gets louder when put in gear and lasts for about 30 seconds. I've changed the oil and switched from a Fram filter to Motorcraft...no help. It really doesn't sound like a floating lifter.

Does anyone have an ideas? Is it possible for the tranny to make this type of noise? (I bought the vehicle about 6 months ago and don't know when the transmission fluid was last changed).

My gas mileage has dropped from 13 mpg to 10.5 mpg over the same period.

I listed this probelm on the Expy Site over a week ago but had no replies. I'd really appreciate any input.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2003, 05:49 PM
HomerWinzlow
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You might start with checking for a loose spark plug, these engines have a propensity to blow out plugs from many posts I have read.

Old 08-10-2003, 07:41 PM
gkbid
Senior User

HomerWinzlow,

Thanks for the feedback... From what I've read about the 5.4 it's a major pain pulling the coil packs to access the plugs...but I guess I need to start somewhere to try to isolate this problem. Thanks again.

Old 08-11-2003, 01:48 AM
martianf150svt
New User

Fuel pump or filter? I dunno....

-Chris

Old 08-11-2003, 01:45 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Piston slap?? Quite common from what I hear.
Jimmy

Old 08-11-2003, 03:14 PM
Trail Rider II
Senior User

Forged pistons? Amny years ago when I built carbed engines, the forged pistons would slap and knock until tey warmed up. How is the oil pressure, could be rod beings knocking until they get lubed.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:17 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

My 5.4 had the piston slap issue, never got so bad as for me to say it sounds like a diesel - instead it was a light double knock that occurred when the engine was cold. Vehicle had about 27K on it so I took it to the dealer and received new engine. New 5.4 is great, quiet, gets good MPG and doesn't use oil.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:22 PM
gkbid
Senior User

I appreciate all the feedback... although hearing three votes for "Piston Slap" can't be good. Will this condition do serious damage to the engine? Does anyone know if an oil addative will help? Auto Zone is always pushing Lucas Oil - has a display on the counter to demonstrate lubrication is retained after engine is turned off and oil has drained back into the pan. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff, or is it time to go used Ford shopping?

Thanks Again...

Old 08-11-2003, 09:26 PM
gkbid
Senior User

Trail Rider II

Oil pressure reads fine...

Old 08-11-2003, 10:15 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

At a minimum piston slap cannot be a good thing, probably rounds off the ring edges making it harder to seal. I don't know what the long term effects of piston slap could be, I suppose piston skirt failure is not out of the question.

I don't think a mechanic in a can solution will work here.
Get a stethascope and listen to the motor, find the noise and then the action plan will become clear.

Old 08-12-2003, 01:50 AM
wmcnally
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gkbid,

Congratulations 100K of loyal service from your Expy! If you bought a Chebby or Chrysler in '99 you'd be walkin' now!

The "clatter" may be piston slap or some valvetrain noise. But, if it only lasts only 30 seconds, I wouldn't worry about it TOO much. You didn't mention the type/weight oil you're using. I assume you don't have any CEL warnings. I hope you weren't using "flim flam" FRAM filters for the 1st 99,000 miles. If so you were "dry" starting your engine for almost 4 years! (and possibly clogging up your oil passages with paper and cardboard)

What would I do now, If I were you?

1) New wires (Motocraft) and plugs (Motocraft or Autolite double plats)

2) new O2 sensors ( the 2 closest to the engine)

3) New coil packs. Replace ALL 8. Expensive but, hey, you got 100,000 miles of service from them!

4) Air filter, PCV and check EGR system.( flow etc.)

5) Change oil to FULL synthetic ( MOBIL 1 or better) 5W-30 or if your "burning" some 10W-30
with Motocraft filter with silicone anti-drainback valve.

Try that and let us know how it goes. I think you'll be happy!

Bill

Last edited by wmcnally; 08-12-2003 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:07 PM
gkbid
Senior User

wmcnally,

Thanks very much for the advice. I've only owned the Expy for less than a year so I don't know what type of filter it grew up on...can only hope for the best. I've been using Castrol GTX 10W30 and it hardly uses a drop between changes.

Several weeks ago it did throw a couple of codes: insufficient exhaust emissions and excessive exhaust emissions (AutoZone read them - not sure - I think they were 403 & 405). I ordered a replacement EGR online but had a bit of bad luck when I went to replace it. Upon attempted removal the lower mounting bolt for the EGR (a combination bolt that tapers to a narrow stud) siezed and twisted off. Now only about 1/4" of threads show and not much room to get at it. In the mean time I'm running around with just the top bolt holding the EGR in place. Not surprisingly, it still shows the CEL. While working on the EGR I also discovered the elbow on the line from the PVC to the rear of the intake had deteriorated. I've replaced that as well.

Hope to get a chance to work on it again this weekend. Am putting 2 kids in college this month so the old checkbook is smokin'...unfortunately all those new coil packs may have to wait a little bit!

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.
Gary

Old 08-16-2003, 11:44 AM
camarozz
New User

I had a similar problem, ended up being the sparkplug problem. Backed itself out. Also had a exhaust leak, rattled untill it warmed up about 30 sec or so.

I thought it was lifters untill I realized what I was saying.

Good Luck
Steve

Old 08-17-2003, 12:58 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Timing chain tensioners maybe?
Jimmy

Old 08-17-2003, 09:01 PM
gkbid
Senior User

Last Friday I stopped by the Ford delaership to "pick their brains".
I described the condition to the service manager and he also thought the timing chain tensioners could be the problem? Said they'd have to schedule having the Expy ovenight to hear it on a cold start the following morning. $100 minimum to evaluate...told him I'd get back to him.

Yesterday I pulled the throttlebody to drill out the broken EGR bolt and retap it. I replaced the EGR (the diaphram wouldn't pull off and hold on the old one) cleaned all the carbon tracks in the trottle body, installed a new PCV valve, a K&N air filter, ran an oil flush, and refilled with Mobil 1 Synthetic and Motorcraft oil filter.
The CEL cleared. The noise at started didn't change.

Today the CEL came back. Stopped by Advance Auto and it read 401 Insufficient Gas Recovery (same as before I replaced the EGR)
Does anyone have any idea on this one?

Thanks...

Quick Reply: 5.4 sounds like a diesel @ startup?