1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

LET IT ROT !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 08:20 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Come on Bob. If the guy has to clean up his property then he must not want a whole lot for them. Getting that COE would be a great way into the world of manure spreaders!

Seriously, I hope they are bought and saved not scrapped.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Quesera
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about an FTE group buy, Bob? We'll setup a GoFundMe and sell shares In the truck restorations. Then we can figure out a time share arrangement where we each get to drive them for a while?

My grandfather's Bel-Aire is in a garage with no plan in sight, I finally got my late Dad's 51' F1 and am making a plan. My nephew has vague plans to deal with Dad's 68 Firebird. Life always gets in the way. Kids, money, home repair, work. I'm confident about the truck. Less so about the other vehicles. Hopefully they won't rot and someone will make the effort, enjoy the journey, and appreciate the history.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
I think Stubb Farmer's comments are very well thought out. And very close to the mark. I watched my dad hold on to the remains of an old buggy for 60 years. He was going to fix up, but never did. The idea that he would put it back together someday meant a lot to him.
I have not farmed for 12 years now, but I still have all the trucks, tractors and equipment. Some of it dating back to the 40's. There are a lot of memories there. Most of it I do not want to part with. I plan to restore most of it some day. I will have to live to 110 to do it but I still hold on to that plan.

B

Old 02-04-2016, 10:16 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldb
I watched my dad hold on to the remains of an old buggy for 60 years. He was going to fix up, but never did. The idea that he would put it back together someday meant a lot to him.

B
So where is the buggy today? Did his dream become yours? I look at stuff that I have that means something to me and wonder if any of my heirs would ever consider it to be of some value. I guess I know the answer since even my wife doesn't for most of it...

Old 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I myself catch a lot of crap from people and also friends about how i have my trucks and dont do anything with them, Well i do plan to somewhere along the line, even if its not all of them. maybe i will sell a couple to finance redoing another. since i retired i seem to have less time than i use to, i also use to get the ol why do you collect trucks? why not cars "there worth more" well i like trucks! i never owned a car till i got married, in the near future i will build a shop here and get the better trucks inside out of the weather, so stubb farmer hit it right on the head.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
I heard that was the same story on this . Too Late !!

Attached Images    
Old 02-04-2016, 11:14 AM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
firstrider you think that door latch was a factory add on LOL, that one needs to stay right where it is, great photo.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Heard it is available . Bring chain saw , bucket truck , slings , chains & etc..
Would make a cool rod pickup or restore w/ mega $$.
Scarp metal is at a all time low . 02 cents / lb.

Old 02-04-2016, 11:51 AM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
First rider why is it too late. Most the east coast northern trucks look as bad as that one. I grant you that you may have some hours in freeing it up but that makes the price lower and more of a challenge. One of my Coes was 5 feet down in a creek bed.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:16 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
I heard that was the same story on this . Too Late !!
It's NEVER too late. You need to look at all the potential it has.

Attached Images     
Old 02-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
So where is the buggy today? Did his dream become yours? I look at stuff that I have that means something to me and wonder if any of my heirs would ever consider it to be of some value. I guess I know the answer since even my wife doesn't for most of it...
I still have what is left of it. Someday who knows, but not growing up using horses and mules horse drawn stuff doesn't do much for me.
I did buy a civil war forge at an auction that he wanted. He never put that to use, but I do plan on using it when I retire.
My daughters don't share my passion for old equipment, but I have a nephew that does. At some point I will ask him what he wants and sell the rest. But not for a while yet.

B

Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I can't abide by the "let it rot" mentality. This old iron represents a piece of history. Human history, American history and even family history. They'll never make cars, trucks or tractors like these ever again. When they're gone, they're gone forever. I do believe that personal property is personal property and any individual should have the right to do with their property as they see fit. But intentionally letting it sit outside and go back to the earth that it came from when others are willing to save it demonstrates a complete lack of respect for what it is, what it represents, future generations that might enjoy it and likely even for the loved one that might have owned it. It's selfish and short-sighted. It's just wrong.

The sentimental attachment I can certainly understand. I lost my dad two years ago and I inherited most of his relics and half-finished projects. I sold some of the stuff that I didn't grow up around or have memories of, but many I just couldn't bring myself to let go. It would have been like selling a part of my soul. I may never get around to doing anything with some of them in this lifetime. BUT! I respect them. I respect them for what they are, what they could be, and also what they were in the eyes of the greatest man I ever knew. I respect them enough that I dropped 40 G's on a new pole barn last year to house them. They're safe, secure, and dry. If I croak without ever touching some of them, they'll be perfectly preserved for the next member of the family or the high bidder at the auction. I did my part.

But what if I couldn't have afforded to build a barn? What if I would have had to leave them outside in the dirt to keep them? That's simple. I wouldn't have. I'd have sold them all no matter how much it hurt rather than see them deteriorate to ruin - because I respect them.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
It's NEVER too late. You need to look at all the potential it has.
Those 3 left a little after taste in my mouth !

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
I can't abide by the "let it rot" mentality. This old iron represents a piece of history. Human history, American history and even family history. They'll never make cars, trucks or tractors like these ever again. When they're gone, they're gone forever. I do believe that personal property is personal property and any individual should have the right to do with their property as they see fit. But intentionally letting it sit outside and go back to the earth that it came from when others are willing to save it demonstrates a complete lack of respect for what it is, what it represents, future generations that might enjoy it and likely even for the loved one that might have owned it. It's selfish and short-sighted. It's just wrong.

The sentimental attachment I can certainly understand. I lost my dad two years ago and I inherited most of his relics and half-finished projects. I sold some of the stuff that I didn't grow up around or have memories of, but many I just couldn't bring myself to let go. It would have been like selling a part of my soul. I may never get around to doing anything with some of them in this lifetime. BUT! I respect them. I respect them for what they are, what they could be, and also what they were in the eyes of the greatest man I ever knew. I respect them enough that I dropped 40 G's on a new pole barn last year to house them. They're safe, secure, and dry. If I croak without ever touching some of them, they'll be perfectly preserved for the next member of the family or the high bidder at the auction. I did my part.

But what if I couldn't have afforded to build a barn? What if I would have had to leave them outside in the dirt to keep them? That's simple. I wouldn't have. I'd have sold them all no matter how much it hurt rather than see them deteriorate to ruin - because I respect them.

Agreed, it is much better to store under cover than out of doors although I have seen a barn fire take out a lifetime of collecting in one night.
If everything was under cover how would the guys scouring the planet with Google Earth for old cars and trucks ever find anything?

B

Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
A guy on the Ford barn just found this 40 sedan out in the boonies. It could be saved, but it would be expensive

And... this was parked next to it! They are still out there, boys! no reason to fret over the rotted away hulks.

Quick Reply: LET IT ROT !!