Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

Feb 2016

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:11 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
I love diesel. I have a favorite customer with a 96 F350. Im good at diesel. He wants the rear main and a build now.

Thats the only downfall, but with the body work I smell bad but not real bad, and the welding on saturday I reek of metal and welding fumes.

I was a master mechanic too. Everything blue collar is hard. But I love hard work. But the diesel job, everything is towed into the shop for me (the mechanic) to work on. I would not be the mobile guy. I was a mobile guy for 4 years self operated, and will not do it again without a tow truck and on board air and 30+ an hour haha.

But I think I will turn it down guys. Id cap at 1100 a week, and the commute would kill me unless I had a prius right now. And I refuse to move close to it, id rather move further north in the woods and mtns.

The shop im at now, has a new shop under construction. As the head mechanic, Id get mechanical pay + body pay. And id cap at 3700 a week for 40 hours a week (worked, not turned book)

Not to mention the restorations and side work is picking up hard, and im looking to have a shop within 3 months. Right now im doubling my weekly checks in 2 days. build this shop, I could quadruple my checks.
Belive it or not surveys have shown that pay is not the #1 thing that people look for in a job. I think it is # 3. Job satisfaction and security are 1 and 2. So ds like your happy and making good pay too.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:21 PM
Big_Texxan
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hturner12
Belive it or not surveys have shown that pay is not the #1 thing that people look for in a job. I think it is # 3. Job satisfaction and security are 1 and 2. So ds like your happy and making good pay too.
Thats another thing I considered. I love my job. I hate the management. Security is there, especially with massive jobs. I also look at it as me able to make a living later on in life. I dont want to be a workaholic like I am now, and I want to use the experience Ive learned now later in life. Carbs, and old cars I love. Body work has always been something Ive needed to learn the quicker aspect of.

Heavy diesel and duty ****, no way. What will I use that for. I refuse to own a business that does that when I dont have the knowledge, and I can have a business like that on my salary id make there learning it. Body business, Ive already got lines on shops and stuff to start, and have a huge clientele, this week picking up a 1940s Mack tow truck, and the 66 stang, and a couple others who have reserved my work. My passion is old ****, cars, boats, trucks. Its always a challenge. i can bore and stroke, and make insane power on a newer car, thats easy ****. My dodge makes 400 to the wheels, and pulls 18-22 city, and 22-28 hgwy. Im weird. Ive always been know to do the harder route, its fun, challenging, and somehow I can always do it in the same amount of time

Old 02-28-2016, 03:13 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Hello to everyone in Georgia...enjoy your Sunday.

Old 02-29-2016, 03:28 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
These are in front of the junkyard right down from the house

Oldies

Old 02-29-2016, 07:19 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
New rotors and brake pads on the front and I the changed oil. I had to scrub the front and the backside of the rims because of the tons and tons of brake dust. I took a drill with a wire wheel to the calibers to get them back to shiny aluminum again. I got the replacement fuel door installed but could not get the remote open to work, so for now I disconnected it. I also polished the chrome exhaust tips.

The Ivory interior was really filthy, It takes about an hour of scrubbing to get each door panel clean, But it looks a million times better already. I just need to do a good wash and wax and polish with my new machine and it should look amazing.

Took it out for a test drive and it drives great. I still get a check engine code pop up for catalytic converter.

First day working in cedartown!!! The 18 minute commute time was great. Got home early enough to replace the tie rod ends on my daughters mustang before the sun went down. Great to be able to do some things after work that I wont have to try and knock out on the weekend.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:31 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ChiefM
New rotors and brake pads on the front and I the changed oil. I had to scrub the front and the backside of the rims because of the tons and tons of brake dust. I took a drill with a wire wheel to the calibers to get them back to shiny aluminum again. I got the replacement fuel door installed but could not get the remote open to work, so for now I disconnected it. I also polished the chrome exhaust tips.

The Ivory interior was really filthy, It takes about an hour of scrubbing to get each door panel clean, But it looks a million times better already. I just need to do a good wash and wax and polish with my new machine and it should look amazing.

Took it out for a test drive and it drives great. I still get a check engine code pop up for catalytic converter.

First day working in cedartown!!! The 18 minute commute time was great. Got home early enough to replace the tie rod ends on my daughters mustang before the sun went down. Great to be able to do some things after work that I wont have to try and knock out on the weekend.
I bet sitting down to dinner as a family was great too.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:45 AM
axelgawn
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Texxan
Thats another thing I considered. I love my job. I hate the management. Security is there, especially with massive jobs. I also look at it as me able to make a living later on in life. I dont want to be a workaholic like I am now, and I want to use the experience Ive learned now later in life. Carbs, and old cars I love. Body work has always been something Ive needed to learn the quicker aspect of.

Heavy diesel and duty ****, no way. What will I use that for. I refuse to own a business that does that when I dont have the knowledge, and I can have a business like that on my salary id make there learning it. Body business, Ive already got lines on shops and stuff to start, and have a huge clientele, this week picking up a 1940s Mack tow truck, and the 66 stang, and a couple others who have reserved my work. My passion is old ****, cars, boats, trucks. Its always a challenge. i can bore and stroke, and make insane power on a newer car, thats easy ****. My dodge makes 400 to the wheels, and pulls 18-22 city, and 22-28 hgwy. Im weird. Ive always been know to do the harder route, its fun, challenging, and somehow I can always do it in the same amount of time

If only I was closer to you. I would sure love to learn how to do what you do for enthusiast purposes. Did you get started learning under someone else? I want to get better at wrenching I just want someone wiser to check my work so I don't die when I drive the thing.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:57 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Originally Posted by axelgawn
If only I was closer to you. I would sure love to learn how to do what you do for enthusiast purposes. Did you get started learning under someone else? I want to get better at wrenching I just want someone wiser to check my work so I don't die when I drive the thing.
You could take the automotive program at CGTC.