Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer Killer Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:30 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
i hate the way they ruin a good bumper by cutting their ugly logo in it.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:39 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 954 Likes on 689 Posts
If you pay extra Skip, they'll leave it uncut.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Atc210
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup, it's a hammerhead bumper. I took the logo off right after I bought it. To many peeps around town wanting one. I am not a fan of seeing clones of my truck around town.

But for you guys....=0)

I paid $1300 for it on Black Friday. They have video on the web site that shows how they are built. Lead time is 4 weeks.

Edit: Tubing up top 1 1/2 DOM. Not flimsy at all.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 01-29-2016, 12:30 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
For some reason, that looks familiar... I think the only part of that cartoon that is missing, is the nauseated stomach that just looked at the empty wallet/bank statement.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:23 PM
IMASAP
Fleet Mechanic
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by dzldenny
I have had a few brush guards/deer slayers/cow catchers whatever you call them on several trucks. I can tell you that anything as stylish as those aluminum jobs will not hold up to a whitetail. Even the steel ones do not hold up. Only the Farmer built Bumper By Rammit style will hold up. The ones available on the general market will take out the whole front end if you tag a critter. From experience. I had a chrome plated steel on a 1990 F350. Tagged a doe about 120lbs with the driver side corner. She folded the headlight guard back into the hood, light and fender. It twisted enough to bust out the grill also. The twisting mangled the bumper too. The grill busted bad enough to take out the pass headlight. Than pushed over and bent the pass fender. The whole front end! I hit her in the head with that light guard at about 45mph. She spun her back end into the side and took out both driver side door skins. The doors had nothing to do with the guard but that's how little I tagged her. Enough that she spun back into the truck. My 90 Bronco lost the whole front when one folded back after rear ending a Pontiac. Left her a baseball dent in her trunk lid. If it is going to protect the truck, it will have to be HUGE and gaudy. For what it will look like and cost... I'll run without and fix the truck IF I hit something again.

If you look at the Dodge in the pics... the driver signal is busted out. That big ol bar right in front couldn't protect it. Whatever he hit, it pushed back far enough to take out the light.

Fortunately, I only intend to hit a Styrofoam deer ....... you know, like they use for archery practice.

Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
What do you think of this one? I like the tubular steel incorporated and the metal tabs to stabilize the sides of the guard...always wondered why nobody did that. Seems like it would make it stiffer. A really hefty strut would make even more sense but there must be a reason why most don't.Think I would paint it Mineral Grey to match the X and minus the extra lights

Old 01-29-2016, 09:13 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 685 Likes on 398 Posts
Here is a pic of my Stainless Ruenell and to be honest I like pretty much all of the above. I would like to suggest that where it bolts onto frame,this piece on end (frame horn)

I welded a piece of 1/2" flat steel (bolted also) which made it solid as hell

Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 330 Likes on 251 Posts
@watcher

The "tab" adds some stability, I would rate it as enough to keep the wing from vibrating but lacks enough triangulation to significantly add to its impact protection against critters.

Just my opinion from looking at it online of course but I can tell you that tube bumpers are used extensively in desert racing to communicate your desire to pass and I have crushed my share of them. That one looks like a critter strike on the tube section would fold it back into the body with relative ease. The rest of the bumper looks plenty stout.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:39 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by hanklin
Here is a pic of my Stainless Ruenell and to be honest I like pretty much all of the above. I would like to suggest that where it bolts onto frame,this piece on end

I welded a piece of 1/2" flat steel (bolted also) which made it solid as hell

That's a really nice bumper!

Old 01-30-2016, 11:37 AM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Watcher58
What do you think of this one? I like the tubular steel incorporated and the metal tabs to stabilize the sides of the guard...always wondered why nobody did that. Seems like it would make it stiffer. A really hefty strut would make even more sense but there must be a reason why most don't.Think I would paint it Mineral Grey to match the X and minus the extra lights

Guess this one's off the table..$538 shipping

Old 01-30-2016, 01:37 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess this one's off the table..$538 shipping
Does this surprise you ??? You have to buy ANY 300 LB 7' wide bumper locally due to the cost of shipping just one

Old 01-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
Does this surprise you ??? You have to buy ANY 300 LB 7' wide bumper locally due to the cost of shipping just one
Actually several places give free shipping--ie bumper super store, carid, etc. Funny thing was that they said it was 538 to ship this one but only 200 to ship anything from the Hammerhead line. Guess they have drop shipping

Old 01-30-2016, 03:45 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually several places give free shipping--ie bumper super store, carid, etc. Funny thing was that they said it was 538 to ship this one but only 200 to ship anything from the Hammerhead line. Guess they have drop shipping
OK 538 is a little steep BUT is irrelevant, it's the total cost that matters in the n. There is no such thing as "Free Shipping" it can be very discounted but still rolled into the price. Carid is one of the worst I've looked at. I considered the bumper store when I was looking BUT settled on half a bumper to keep the cost down. I'll end up finishing it up in a year or so when I can find the time

Old 01-30-2016, 07:48 PM
Watcher58
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by harley4jcs
OK 538 is a little steep BUT is irrelevant, it's the total cost that matters in the n. There is no such thing as "Free Shipping" it can be very discounted but still rolled into the price. Carid is one of the worst I've looked at. I considered the bumper store when I was looking BUT settled on half a bumper to keep the cost down. I'll end up finishing it up in a year or so when I can find the time
Whole price definitely seems to have it built in except a lot less at bumper superstore. Wish I knew how to weld. It's on my bucket list--how pitiful is that?

Quick Reply: Deer Killer Bumper