I used steel line.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:04 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
I used steel line.
Thanks Bill

Xmas rush is putting a damper on shipping. The regulator is arriving the 19th or later. I am going to find some orings for those lines so I can get it moving again.

What kind of bender did you use? I just had an attempt with 5/16" brake line and made a mess of it...

Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Staying up too late painting a new front tank and trying my hand at bending some lines. Now I poked CL and came across this
1992 f350 dually 4x4 pickup box

We do have the truck camper and I do miss my flat bed dually. It drove so nice, a little stiff but very nice.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:10 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master

This is where I am at.

I would like to eliminate some of the brass. I am considering taking the nipple off the pump and welding it to the fORB fitting. That leaves for connections for the filter bases. Not sure what I can use there yet...

Then the easy part of fabing the mount and installing it!

Old 12-09-2016, 06:49 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nateairman
Thanks Bill

Xmas rush is putting a damper on shipping. The regulator is arriving the 19th or later. I am going to find some orings for those lines so I can get it moving again.

What kind of bender did you use? I just had an attempt with 5/16" brake line and made a mess of it...
I have one like this.....

Old 12-09-2016, 11:07 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
In the past I have been able to make some thing up real quick or just bend by hand. The 5/16 didn't like that.

Line benders are all sold out. But the dorman tube was not so I just picked one up.

The 5/16 line you used for the fuel to the heads.. Would brake line work?

Old 12-09-2016, 11:19 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
That's what I use....5/16" brake line.

Old 12-10-2016, 12:20 PM
knottyrope
Lead Driver
Received 884 Likes on 672 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
That's what I use....5/16" brake line.
That's what I used for EBP tube. Using a spring around the bend helps to not kink the line. Hard part is getting the spring found.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:03 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
I have a whole bunch of brass! I will lay it all out and take some photos. I think I will braze a tab on so I can mount the T in one of the fuel pump holes.

I found a 92 f350 dually 4x guy wants 1000. It is a 460 5speed. If it shifts well I think I will do a hybrid like Bill has done. I am hoping the box and fenders are in ok shape and I will swap it over with front hubs etc. I may put my old parts on the truck and resell it to get some money back out...

I'll post photos soon of my idea for the fuel.

Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
nateairman
Cargo Master
What is the direction of flow on this pump? R to L?

Similar to this but much tighter. Or different fittings
Option A. Depends on getting o rings for stock lines at back of heads.
Option B.
Option C.
Option D. Personally my favorite but I don't have time to machine the piece at this moment.
Lots of options here. I like options because problems come up all the time and it is good to have options.

That is a stock SD pump for now because I could get it easily. The lines are pushed over the lock ring. It seals but I don't think it is a great long term solution. I do have some copper that could be persuaded over the ends to keep a pressure ridge from happening on the fuel line.

I will cut some 1/8" plate to make the bracket assembly basically as I have it sitting on the bench.

Let's hear it! There are good bits in my plan I think.

I think the wiring will be easy. Trigger a relay off the fuel heater wire through a oil pressure switch through an inertia switch and pump. Of course with fuseing.

I have wanted to do this for years!

Old 12-11-2016, 01:37 AM
Bob_T
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
There was some discussion awhile back about oil pressure switches failing when used in efuel circuits so I didn't use an oil pressure switch, just an inertia switch and a dashboard toggle switch instead of an oil pressure switch. The dashboard switch lets me turn off the fuel pump for key on engine off tests but other than for testing I leave it switched on all the time.

Probably doesn't matter much but when starting you get full fuel pressure immediately without having to wait for the engine to crank over enough to trigger an oil pressure switch.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:53 AM
nateairman
Cargo Master
Bill

The parts truck is a 92 f350 460 4x4 5speed. Will the internals drop into my 1997?

Old 12-11-2016, 09:23 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nateairman
Bill

The parts truck is a 92 f350 460 4x4 5speed. Will the internals drop into my 1997?
If your '97 has it's original transmission, then it is an S5-47. The '92 will be an S5-42. There are a few differences in the S5-47 and S5-42 cases. The biggest difference is in the rear extension housing, which the gas transmission would retain it's own anyway. The S5-47 has a bolt in front bearing retainer, and the S5-42 has a press in style. That is the main difference between the two main cases. I'm not gonna say it won't work putting 42 internals in a 47 case, because I don't know. I've never tried it, so I can't say 100% for sure on that. I don't think it would matter, but like I said, I don't know that for sure. If your truck has the S5-47, and if you have 4.10 gears, unless you plan on towing extremely heavy on a regular basis, I would just keep the 47 and 4.10s. I can't remember what gears you have in your truck. Look at the tag on your trans and see which one you have. If it is original to the truck, it should be a 47, but often times you will find a 42 in a '96 or '97 because someone swapped the trans and didn't know there was a difference, or couldn't find a 47.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:18 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 520 Likes on 253 Posts
First thing, I'm no expert on the ZFs, but from what I've read the difference between the S42, and the S47, is in the rear case. (shift rail length?) A faulty DMF in my 97 broke the front case on the S47, so a 95 parts truck was purchased to fix that problem. I found a front S42 case, and was told it would work to replace the front case on the S47, which I did, replacing the bearings in the process. If feels good while turning the input shaft, and shifting it threw the gears, but it has yet to be tested in a truck, as the S42 is sill working great. If I were going to build a gas/diesel hybred tranny, I would use the front diesel case mated to the rear gasser case with the gasser internals.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:32 AM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by farmert
First thing, I'm no expert on the ZFs, but from what I've read the difference between the S42, and the S47, is in the rear case. (shift rail length?) A faulty DMF in my 97 broke the front case on the S47, so a 95 parts truck was purchased to fix that problem. I found a front S42 case, and was told it would work to replace the front case on the S47, which I did, replacing the bearings in the process. If feels good while turning the input shaft, and shifting it threw the gears, but it has yet to be tested in a truck, as the S42 is sill working great. If I were going to build a gas/diesel hybred tranny, I would use the front diesel case mated to the rear gasser case with the gasser internals.
Yeah, the shift rails in the S5-47 go deeper into the rear extension housing than the S5-42. I figured the main cases would interchange, but I didn't wanna tell someone for sure since I hadn't done it to see for myself, or find any info on it stating that it would work. Thanks for posting Tom. Now I know that someone has done it, and it will work!

Quick Reply: (Front end noise) Turned Big Fix