Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   (Front end noise) Turned Big Fix (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1417243-front-end-noise-turned-big-fix.html)

nateairman 01-24-2016 11:59 AM

(Front end noise) Turned Big Fix

There is a bearing noise coming from the front end. The passenger bearing was replaced by a mechanic and the noise was still there. Not as bad. Now I have the driver hub off and the bearings look fine. No piting or obvious wear. Is there a needle bearing supporting the axles stub in the spindle that could be making noise?

As a note the noise was the same with the hubs unlocked.

If the front shackles are worn and the shackle is touching the frame could this give the pereseption of bearing noise?

Talyn 01-24-2016 05:38 PM

bearing noise is generally a grumble gravel sound.

What exactly are you hearing???
I dont know of anything else that can make hideous sounds like that besides bearings.

Best way to check for bearing issues is to drive on the road for a bit then feel the hubs. If they are really effing hot, your bearings are bad or too tight.

Make sure to check the rear hubs too.
I had to replace a whole axle not knowing my rear hub was leaking.

nateairman 01-24-2016 09:09 PM

A really bad sound. Almost like crushing grinding noise. I put the hub on the spindle on the bench and true spinning it. The hub would make it about one revolution and the sound wasn't that bad....

The old bearings do not have noticeable damage I was expecting to find some damage. Considering the noise.

With new bearings it is much quieter. I am trying to get the needle bearing out of the spindle. How? Special tool?

While the axel is this far apart I am going to do u joints and the seal in terms differential. Will I need to pull the axels to do the pinion bearing and seal?

Talyn 01-26-2016 06:02 AM

needle bearings wont make any sound unless you have the hubs locked in.

Check the front radiator support mounts, might just be trashed and rattling.

nateairman 01-27-2016 05:14 PM

Talyn

Thank you for posting in my thread.

I want to put the axle back together but am having a heck of a time getting the needle bearing out. I am concerned that I may have damaged it otherwise I would leave it in. What specific tool would you use? I am considering welding an offset on a steel rod to pound out the old bearing. I did rent a puller from a local shop. But it was a pos and did not work. Still had to pay for the rental.

nateairman 01-27-2016 07:22 PM

That needle bearing is really in there. In the end I gave up on being nice and used a sledge hammer and a bar that was bent right at the tip. The end of the bar had to be reshaped half a dozen times or so. Now to put the new one in. I noticed the bearing has a roundish edge and a flatter edge. It seems the rounded edge goes in first.

I have all the parts to for the inner axel seal but it is raining a lot so I will leave the diff together for now. If the weather is good in the morning I may take a swing at it.

Talyn 01-27-2016 07:53 PM

the inner axle seal is important.
Thats generally what destroys the bearings.

Water comes in from there and gets in the hub.

nateairman 01-28-2016 09:00 AM

I need to educate myself. The only other axle I worked on that was similar was on my 72 Chevy truck.

The rain has stopped I will give it a few hours this am before going to work. What is the diff cover resealed with?

farmert 01-28-2016 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by nateairman (Post 15990092)
I need to educate myself. The only other axle I worked on that was similar was on my 72 Chevy truck.

What is the diff cover resealed with?

RTV --- ten car.

nateairman 01-28-2016 12:24 PM

It is back together. I did not pull the axless and do u joints or the seal in the differential. The truck needed to move.

The passenger side bearings were done by a local shop. So I did not touch it.

I need some ideas on isolating the noise.

So far I have coasted down the street with the engine off. And stuck my head out the window. The noise is loud in the cab and not noticeable out the driver window. Maybe have a passenger do the same...?

nateairman 01-30-2016 05:07 PM

This morning I rebuilt the rear drive shaft. The center bearing was past due for a service.

My replacement u joints were from Napa and looked pretty weak compared to what I took out.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...9338e2603d.jpg

Old vs New

nateairman 01-31-2016 09:17 PM

I drove the truck on the hi way today. It is only tire noise now. However there is still a bit of noise at low speeds and seems worse when I turn left... passenger side wheel bearing?

The drive shaft carrier bearing was a big part of the noise and am going to fix my rear end rotation as it seems the pinion is nose high and the blocks have air space in the back.....

It never ends

nateairman 01-31-2016 11:32 PM

If anyone is following along..

I need to replace the front shackle bushings and the frame mount for the rear portion of the front springs. The truck has a lift on it and do not want to order an RSK and springs etc. I would be replacing the rear mount for an RSK anyway.

So I thought I would replace the mount and front shackle bushings for now.

The Dorman parts are out of this world expensive here so I am looking ATS or?

I am thinking of getting rubber encased bushings be cause I think they maybe softer and the ride would be a little better IDK. Looking for some experience here and a parts source in Canada that isn't hi way robbery!

Talyn 02-01-2016 03:30 PM

There is just so many things that can make noise its tough to isolate.

You got an f250 or f350?

If its a 250, you might need new inner bushings on the TTB, they will make hellacious noises.

250's are more fun cause of all the crazie noises that they can make.

nateairman 02-01-2016 04:54 PM

It's a 350 so I should be a little better off.

I am going to try to find a bushing kit for the front springs and shackles.