Sponsored by:

Inexpensive replacement key solution.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:35 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Inexpensive replacement key solution.

Reading the What Have You Done to your Ex Today thread I figured I would share my replacement key solution.

I was down to 1 key for the excursion and knowing the hassle of loosing that key I ordered 2 keys and 2 fobs from a popular vendor on eBay.

Total cost $20.00 for the 2 keys with fobs.

So far so good. Now most of you know that it takes 2 keys to program a new key with the Ford Pats system. In the past if you only had 1 key you needed to take it to the dealer or some locksmiths. Cost $100-300

Turns out Lowes has the programmer that works with PATS keys ( $80 per key if you buy their key ) I was having a new house key cut and told the guys I already had 2 ford keys and asked how much they would charge to cut the keys and program them. The guy said he would be happy to do it at no cost. Turns out they sell the keys not the service of cutting or programming them,

Total cost to cut and program $0.00

Ran into one minor clitch in the programming.... The lowes programmer apparently does not confirm the key was successfully programmed at the end of the cycle. However on testing the key in the ignition it worked perfect and the guy made the second one... No confirm but it also worked.

All said and done, 2 new keys with key fobs, cut and programmed for $20
Can't believe I spent the last 2 years living scared with only 1 key.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 AM
JuanHuevos
I'm still around...mostly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a pretty sweet deal, can't beat free! Did the Lowe's guy take his laptop out to your truck and program them or did he just close the existing key you have?

Old 01-21-2016, 07:01 AM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Good tips. Of course, the easier way is when you already have 2 keys...buy a third...program it yourself....and put it away. I do this with every Ford when they're new so I'm hopefully never caught without 2 keys to program a third.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Your new keys are probably "clones" which will work fine, but you won't be able to reprogram or add any new IDs to the list. I think the computer requires 2 different key IDs to be able to add more IDs.
Our Ex came with 2 keys and no fobs. I was able to purchase 2 PATS key blanks and 4 fobs from an eBay vendor for great prices. I took the blank keys to Home Depot and they cut them for no charge. They also only charge for blanks, but they don't carry PATS blanks. All 4 fobs were easy to program as they don't require any entered beforehand. When I programmed the fobs the first time one had a dead battery. When I tried to add just the one it wouldn't accept it. I had to enter all 4 fobs at the same time for it to work.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:51 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by JuanHuevos
That's a pretty sweet deal, can't beat free! Did the Lowe's guy take his laptop out to your truck and program them or did he just close the existing key you have?
The lowes programmer is not a laptop and they stay at the desk in the store.

Given the sequence they use my guess is they clone the working key.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:52 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was able to use "forscan" on my Mountaineer to program a new pats key to the truck when i only had one. I do not like clone keys as they have internal batteries that will eventually die and leave you stranded. If the key is being programmed and not the truck, you have clone keys. I have a new Stratec (Ford authorized) key for my Excursion and will try the forscan method although I already have two working keys. If you try forscan you will need to get an enhanced license from them to unlock PATS programming and some cheap one readers can't keep up with this process so there is risk. It is free for windows right now as it is in beta.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:57 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Matt M, PA
Good tips. Of course, the easier way is when you already have 2 keys...buy a third...program it yourself....and put it away. I do this with every Ford when they're new so I'm hopefully never caught without 2 keys to program a third.
Definetly the smarter way to do it so you don't find yourself with just 1 key, but I don't see how it is easier. You still need to buy a new key and you still need to get it cut. The only difference is you programmed your key and somebody else programmed mine.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
the keys I purchased off eBay do not have batteries, they are identical to the OEM key sans the ford logo. The keys lowes sells do have batteries however. Perhaps that is why the programmer was not able to confirm ?

Old 01-21-2016, 11:31 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They dont have an internal non replaceable battery? The Ford OEM keys are not programmable. They have a set RFID that they bounce back when asked by the vehicle PATS system. You have to train the vehicle to that key. To be able to be programmed and cloned, the aftermarket keys usually have a battery inside that will wear down. What model keys were they able to program?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Top, factory Ford key
Middle, reproduction ford key from eBay.
Bottom, lowes key

Attached Images  
Old 01-21-2016, 12:13 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 875 Likes on 727 Posts
Did you actually test the replacement keys to see if they would start the engine?

Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Both keys start the vehicle.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 PM
Matt M, PA
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Definetly the smarter way to do it so you don't find yourself with just 1 key, but I don't see how it is easier. You still need to buy a new key and you still need to get it cut. The only difference is you programmed your key and somebody else programmed mine.
Any two of my keys can be used to "program" the vehicle to recognize a new key in the event that I loose one.

When I took delivery of these vehicles, the dealer sold me a generic PATS key cut for the vehicle. Then I programmed the key to work with the vehicle while sitting in the driver's seat.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:26 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!! I just spent $50 for a key and programming today at a locksmith because Best Buy said I had to have 2 keys to have the remote start installed. I wish I had known this earlier What was even more annoying is the guy was sitting in the truck with the computer thing and I asked him if it could pull the door unlock code and he said "Yeah, for $45". I said forget it and left it at that.

Quick Reply: Inexpensive replacement key solution.