6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Disaster Thread for 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 09:53 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your EOT likely spiked and went down due to low coolant. That low and boiling over it's not doing it's job in the oil cooler.
You did the right thing by babying it and not just driving it until it overheated and started to defuel.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM
silverbullet6oh
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skchoi2
What are some places to buy stuff? Online? O'reillys?
Yesterday I just had a long conversation with Ed @ FICMrepair.com, anything related to these 6oh's of ours, he can get parts for you for less money than most. Just wanted to throw that out there, might be worth a call to him once you get things figured out on a parts list.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:21 AM
skchoi2
Junior User
Originally Posted by navistarnut
Your EOT likely spiked and went down due to low coolant. That low and boiling over it's not doing it's job in the oil cooler.
You did the right thing by babying it and not just driving it until it overheated and started to defuel.
Honestly it wouldnt go "hard" anyways..! It just got really loud, boost spiked, and no power. Maybe EBP related issue

Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 AM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
and to add--if Run 6.0 Run tells you something--listen

Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM
timmytoes
Senior User

I know you have more pressing issues to worry about right now but if you put a couple gallons of wrong coolant in there, you might want to get that out pretty soon before you need a new oil cooler. I let a friend use my truck to move a table once and he thought it needed to be serviced, so he put some prestone in it and didn't tell me. Soon thereafter i was replacing the oil cooler and it was spewing like crazy. Maybe my oil cooler was on its way out and this finished it or not but I still believe this engine doesn't like fluids that weren't designed for it and it will let you know in some fashion.

Beautiful truck btw!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
this is like a bad horror flick...

I'm beginning to rout for the truck

a solid wire in place of a fuse... truck melts the holder.
wrong coolant... truck blows it out...TWICE!!!
You step on the gas peddle... it refuses to spool up.
Dump in 3 gallons of coolant, it blows all the coolant from the block on you!

Your truck hates you... and its trying to tell you something.... change my thermostat and fix the fuel pump!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:07 AM
skchoi2
Junior User
Originally Posted by run6.0run
If it was me,, I'd be ditching the fuel pump and go OEM. I stand in a small group that doesn't like them tho.

Pull the 3/4" hose that is the return from the heater core (the long hose under the degas bottle and runs along the firewall), and crank the engine to verify coolant flow. It'd help to plug the port on the coolant y pipe to keep from sucking air. This can be done with two people (one to crank, preferably at the remote start wire) and use your finger to plug the port (it's gonna be messy).

Is it possible the coolant level was too high,, and the cap wasn't screwed on all the way from the beginning of the trip??

Coolant flow might not be the issue tho. I just re read and the highest temp you saw was 210???
I think cap was on right..it clicks right? Ahh I hope I didnt screw something up! So what should I be checking for when I do your test?? Make sure the coolant shoots out? How long should I do that? I have to fix the darn FASS first...if the filters are clogged it could possibly pop the fuse right? so many things happened at once so I cant figure out what popped it! I think maybe the coolant puke shorted the wiring for the FASS as well?? Im going to buy an inline fuse kit for it today but I dont want to ignore why it popped in the first place. I guess I will buy the two FASS filters anyways, it gurgles a lot when I start it, and its a weird inconsistent sound

Old 01-20-2016, 11:12 AM
skchoi2
Junior User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
this is like a bad horror flick...

I'm beginning to rout for the truck

a solid wire in place of a fuse... truck melts the holder.
wrong coolant... truck blows it out...TWICE!!!
You step on the gas peddle... it refuses to spool up.
Dump in 3 gallons of coolant, it blows all the coolant from the block on you!

Your truck hates you... and its trying to tell you something.... change my thermostat and fix the fuel pump!
Eh...

I had to get the fuel pump running..! I think the puking shorted it..but oh well, Im going to get new filters for it.

I dont know how serious you are being but just to be clear, the boost spools up extremely fast...with no power.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Always carry a spare fuel filter.

Your trip to VA, was it really cold that day, say 25* or so?

Make sure you cycle the key after the filter change to allow the pump to purge the air, low fuel pressure will kill injectors.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM
skchoi2
Junior User
Always carry a spare fuel filter.

Your trip to VA, was it really cold that day, say 25* or so?

Make sure you cycle the key after the filter change to allow the pump to purge the air, low fuel pressure will kill injectors.
Very very cold. High in the teens! I do let it run a bit before I start it. It is loud...and it definitely has a clear sound as it is done "charging"

Old 01-20-2016, 12:06 PM
skchoi2
Junior User
To start I plan on:
Fuel filter change
New fuse and holder for fuel pump
EBP sensor (tube too..? I guess I should replace wiring as well? Anyone know where I can buy it all?)
New T-stat for coolant
New coolant

I hope my truck won't hate me anymore!

Old 01-20-2016, 12:20 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
anytime the weather gets to 17*, fuel will gel if your running #2 diesel... you need to add some anti-gel to the fuel or run #1 diesel.

#1 diesel is good to -40*

I wouldn't go without adding something to prevent this if I thought the temps were going to hit anything below 25*. You fuel pump issues may have been from gelled fuel, why it wouldn't pump anything.

Hope it didn't hurt injectors. Do you have the blue spring upgrade or is the FASS pump supplying all the fuel pressure requirements? Your upper fuel filter removed?

Overheating is another issue.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM
skchoi2
Junior User
anytime the weather gets to 17*, fuel will gel if your running #2 diesel... you need to add some anti-gel to the fuel or run #1 diesel.

#1 diesel is good to -40*

I wouldn't go without adding something to prevent this if I thought the temps were going to hit anything below 25*. You fuel pump issues may have been from gelled fuel, why it wouldn't pump anything.

Hope it didn't hurt injectors. Do you have the blue spring upgrade or is the FASS pump supplying all the fuel pressure requirements? Your upper fuel filter removed?

Overheating is another issue.
Wow..never knew that..! I guess it's too late. I threw the code for cylinder 1 and 5...i was hoping the EBP was just shakin things up. Felt like misfire at idle

Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Low contribution codes for cylinders 1 & 5...

Old 01-20-2016, 02:09 PM
BigRedTed
Junior User
You might want to make sure you still have even crank to make sure there's not an underlying issue. But also wouldnt your rebuilt engine have a warranty if it did go? I mean you only have ~10k on it

Quick Reply: Disaster Thread for 6.0