Ton and a half or Two ton?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 09:27 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Ton and a half or Two ton?

The whole thing I mean..... The trailer is a '47 half ton bed from my woodie when it was a pickup bolted to a trailer that Frank Roleau built for his welder from the back half of EJ Young's 39 tonner pickup. Width increased in '42 so the 39 trailer's tires rub a bit on the '42s wheel houses, but I just had to do it. Pretty wet these days at Jailbar Ranch. Glad to be able to work indoors with a wood stove. I did, however get one of my twin 8BAs's running on Sunday.

Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2016, 09:43 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I dunno.....but I love your engine test stand setup.

The truck and trailer look great together!

Old 01-12-2016, 10:01 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
The whole thing I mean..... The trailer is a '47 half ton bed from my woodie when it was a pickup bolted to a trailer that Frank Roleau built for his welder from the back half of EJ Young's 39 tonner pickup. Width increased in '42 so the 39 trailer's tires rub a bit on the '42s wheel houses, but I just had to do it. Pretty wet these days at Jailbar Ranch. Glad to be able to work indoors with a wood stove. I did, however get one of my twin 8BAs's running on Sunday.
In the first pic, a 2 Ton combo. In the second pic, 1+1+1+1/2= a 3 1/2 Ton combo.
Is this the engine that will be transplanted into Uncle George?

Old 01-12-2016, 10:16 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacomacream
In the first pic, a 2 Ton combo. In the second pic, 1+1+1+1/2= a 3 1/2 Ton combo.
Is this the engine that will be transplanted into Uncle George?
First I'm gonna rinse Georges' block with acetone and fill the pan rail area with sikaflex. Actually napas 'great stuff' sealant is good for 450 degrees so I may pump some of that in there. Even thought roll on bed liner would flow into those cracks. If it DOES start to boil and pressure increases, it will just press tighter against the block. If it leaks after that I'll bust out some alumaseal and sprinkle that in the radiator. That always works. I have 2 8bas. The one that's running came from my big trade in Twisp last fall. It came from a car, but I'm getting it converted one piece at a time and the one next to it came from a '48 truck on CL . It was quite complete but stuck. I gambled and bought it cheap. I have been soaking it in atf and acetone and the flywheel moved about a 1/4" today with a crowbar. I found a new 8ba head gasket in my stash so I might spring for another nd pull the heads for a look-see. Still unsure what goes in what but the one in the pic has 25 psi at idle and 50 at rev. Can't run long cuz no water yet. That's next.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:20 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
TC I noticed we have the same avatar . Like two girls at the prom with the same prom dress. Well, not exactly, but I'm gonna change mine so we can tell each other apart.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:30 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
TC I noticed we have the same avatar . Like two girls at the prom with the same prom dress. Well, not exactly, but I'm gonna change mine so we can tell each other apart.
You just changed the avatar. I like the green one which is quite a bit different than mine.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:52 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by tacomacream
You just changed the avatar. I like the green one which is quite a bit different than mine.
I know I did, but I can change it again..... In that tin shed, the one on the right is the 1/2 ton I got in Cashmere and the one on the right is the tonner from Twisp with the rusty '48 f3 bed. I add about two grille bars a week. When I win the powerball tomorrow I will ramp it up a bit. Second time ever I bought a ticket. Not my usual deal, but hey....

Old 01-13-2016, 06:01 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ok, so you have hubcaps on the trailer, and on the spare but the truck's running around without one for the picture? Great photos btw and love the run up stand.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:12 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
Ok, so you have hubcaps on the trailer, and on the spare but the truck's running around without one for the picture? Great photos btw and love the run up stand.
I like looking at the hub of the full floating rear axle.......

Old 01-13-2016, 10:14 AM
Nighttrain67
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to patent that fuel setup on that!

Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
'Funnelstick Fuel Injection'. I can just see the sticker on the side of the hood of my hot rod.....

Old 01-17-2016, 12:48 PM
mrcman58
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
whats the deal on the 1 gallon tank on the truck is it what i am thinking??

what you need now is a mercury 1 ton truck for your tonner collection. didnt you have a clearing where you park some of your trucks? you could call it 1 ton flats. LOL

Old 01-17-2016, 01:43 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome pic's Gary. Now get back to work
on the Woodie Panel. Ya have got to have it
done when I drive my 87 Corn Binder Army
Bus down this summer to make a trade with
you.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Jafo56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
You are definetly the ultimate guy for backyard tinkering!!!! I love I don't have half the knowledge you do but I'm learning! Great photos keep them coming

Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Thanks guys. Yah, it's like working in a 3 ring freakin' circus around here. Woodie in the unheated shop, 2 flatheads outside blocked up in tires in the dirt, and a bunch of 17" tonner rims in various stages of tire removal (sawzall), rust removal (chinese needle scaler) and used tire installation up in the cabinet shop by the wood stove (paint dries). The rest of the time I work on cabinets and furniture to pay the mortgage and everything else in my life. I do however spend quite a bit of time with my wife, which is always very enjoyable.

Quick Reply: Ton and a half or Two ton?