1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bed roll repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 03:11 PM
moose79
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed roll repair

Pretty much my whole bed upper roll is slightly crushed. Is there a way to fix this? Make a plug with long point on end and just heat and beat?

Old 01-13-2016, 05:26 PM
1952henry
Fleet Mechanic
Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts
Hope to see some good ideas myself. Saw once where a fella cut off the damaged roll and used a solid rod in its place. I had thought about a rod with rounded point driven into the roll after heating damaged area. Could be used as a dolly once in. Wouldn't want to get it stuck, though.

Old 01-13-2016, 05:56 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
I'm curious as well. Like you I've been contemplating a rod with a rounded tip. I think the inside diameter is 7/8"

Bobby

Old 01-13-2016, 06:54 PM
moose79
Senior User
I assume a stud gun and slide hammer but my god. It would take years

Old 01-13-2016, 07:09 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't laugh, but could a ball bearing type of sphere work. My thinking is that possibly it could be forced thru the bed roll with some type of bar stock, the bar being marked with measurement's so you would know the exact location of the ball for heating and bumping at all times. At least if it got stuck it could be abandoned with no ill effects, or pounded out from the opposite end OK! I can hear you guys laughing from here, that's ok I love you all anyway.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:33 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 260 Likes on 214 Posts
I bought a parts truck from a guy once who described using the plug on a rod technique on the roll of his finished project truck. He at first tried using a piece of hollow pipe which almost got stuck when he heated the area needing to be straightened. A solid plug with rod threaded into it was the method he said worked best. Stu

Old 01-13-2016, 08:15 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Don't laugh, but could a ball bearing type of sphere work. My thinking is that possibly it could be forced thru the bed roll with some type of bar stock, the bar being marked with measurement's so you would know the exact location of the ball for heating and bumping at all times. At least if it got stuck it could be abandoned with no ill effects, or pounded out from the opposite end OK! I can hear you guys laughing from here, that's ok I love you all anyway.
A great idea, Jimmy! A lot less friction than a long tight-fitting tube. I think a combination of stud-gun pulling and hammer-and-dolly'ing with the sphere in place could do it. Not sure you can drill a ball-bearing but a sphere turned out of steel would do it.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:38 PM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 845 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
I won't laugh A musical instrument restorer (Specializing in brass horns) I know uses ball bearings to take the dents out of the tubes.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:40 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
A great idea, Jimmy! A lot less friction than a long tight-fitting tube. I think a combination of stud-gun pulling and hammer-and-dolly'ing with the sphere in place could do it. Not sure you can drill a ball-bearing but a sphere turned out of steel would do it.
My thought was to leave the ball bearing un-attached to the rod and pushing it from either end, that way you wouldn't be stuck with using a 8ft.legnth. you could start short and use longer shafts as you proceed. I agree ball bearings are made from some pretty hard stuff. Question, would graphite be affected by heat, if not it could be used to lessen friction even further.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Good idea on the ball bearing. My original thought was to build a short slug with a rounded nose, then drill and tap the end so that it could be attached to some sort of rod.

You can actually buy 7/8" ***** fairly cheap (I could be wrong on the ID of the bed roll, its been awhile since I looked into it).
7/8 inch Diameter Chrome Steel Bearing ***** G25 (Set of 10): Precision *****: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific 7/8 inch Diameter Chrome Steel Bearing ***** G25 (Set of 10): Precision *****: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Bobby

Old 01-13-2016, 09:13 PM
moose79
Senior User
Wow. A useful post by me. Yay me. Think I'll get in it. A ball bearing and a piece or 2 of slightly smaller round tube. A bit of heat and a hammer might just work.

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Give it a go, take some pics, have a frosty beverage and tell us all about it

Maybe it will give me some motivation to start some body work on mine

Old 01-13-2016, 10:04 PM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
I think the ball idea is a really good one. To make it super fun, load it as a cannon ball and shoot it across!!!! Huh, wadda ya think?

Muzzle awareness here though. Point it in a safe direction.

Or...............................Just do it like you were thinking. I think it will work.

Old 01-13-2016, 10:07 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Yes a ball welded to a solid smaller rod measure lenth and you know where its at as you move it thru. This sounds like a 2 man job but i think it will work great.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:32 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Good idea on the ball bearing. My original thought was to build a short slug with a rounded nose, then drill and tap the end so that it could be attached to some sort of rod.

You can actually buy 7/8" ***** fairly cheap (I could be wrong on the ID of the bed roll, its been awhile since I looked into it).
7/8 inch Diameter Chrome Steel Bearing ***** G25 (Set of 10): Precision *****: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Bobby
That sounds good too, it would give more surface area to work at a time.

Quick Reply: Bed roll repair