needing help with 4.0l

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM
vtranger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
needing help with 4.0l

let me bring you up to speed with me situation. i was having some overheating issues, so i replaced the temp probe, then the thermostat. after still having the same problem i replaced the water pump, went smoothly and got everything back together. me being dumb i forgot to put the drained coolant. long story short i blew the head gasket. after many hours and lots of curse words later i finally got the gasket changed and the engine put back together. everything ran good, until i noticed the fan was stuck on defroster, and wouldnt change. not a huge deal, i did notice my temp gauge bouncing around, so i attempted to bleed the system a few times. this last time i bled the system my heater went out and the temp gauge no longer bounces, it hits red and goes further. so my cooling system is not working, as well as my fan being stuck on defroster, from what i can gather there is no circulation of the coolant at all. from what the symptoms i think its either a bad stat, a bad pump, or no coolant. but all that was dealt with before with new parts. did i miss anything? im kinda on my wits end with this, considering my truck has only been driving less than 6 months this year.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:33 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
When the head gaskets blow on these engines, it's usually because the heads got warped from overheating. Did you have the heads resurfaced before replacing the gaskets? If not, they'll just continue to leak.

The air always going to the defroster means there is no vacuum actuating the doors that redirect the air flow to other vents. Look for a disconnected or broken vacuum line.

You can check the thermostat by putting it in a pot of water and heating it on your stove. You should see it open at some point, and you can use a cooking thermometer to measure that temperature.

When my engine was low on coolant, I first saw no activity on the temp gauge, and air coming out of the heater was stone cold. Then I watched the temp gauge rise very quickly, going into the red zone, and then finally settling down into the normal range, and the air coming out heated up. Some of your symptoms seem to point to this.

None of these checks will mean much if your heads are still leaking from being warped.

Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 PM
vtranger
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
When the head gaskets blow on these engines, it's usually because the heads got warped from overheating. Did you have the heads resurfaced before replacing the gaskets? If not, they'll just continue to leak.

The air always going to the defroster means there is no vacuum actuating the doors that redirect the air flow to other vents. Look for a disconnected or broken vacuum line.

You can check the thermostat by putting it in a pot of water and heating it on your stove. You should see it open at some point, and you can use a cooking thermometer to measure that temperature.

When my engine was low on coolant, I first saw no activity on the temp gauge, and air coming out of the heater was stone cold. Then I watched the temp gauge rise very quickly, going into the red zone, and then finally settling down into the normal range, and the air coming out heated up. Some of your symptoms seem to point to this.

None of these checks will mean much if your heads are still leaking from being warped.
the head is from cylinder head international, they state its resurfaced and pressure tested, so i would rule that out for now, ill have to remember that trick for testing the stat. when i looked at my truck i found coolant in my oil and no coolant as far as i can see in my radiator, my father seams to think the leak might be in the lower intake gasket, though im not going to rule out a head gasket leak either. i replaced the brushes on my alternator and when i pulled it off the mount i found a crush small black tube, would this be the vacuum line?

Old 01-14-2016, 12:20 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Well, you didn't mention coolant in the oil before. Indeed, the most likely source is in the lower intake manifold gaskets. You might want to be certain by pressure testing the cooling system. You can get one of those pumps that installs in place of the radiator cap and pump it up. I made my own with a T-fitting plumbed into a heater hose (made for flushing the cooling system) and adapted a cap with a presta air valve from a bicycle inner tube. I pump it up with a bike pump, and I can test the radiator cap release pressure at the same time.

A leak in the head gasket usually results in combustion gasses in the coolant that you can smell and see. It also pushes the coolant into the overflow tank.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:11 AM
vtranger
Freshman User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
Well, you didn't mention coolant in the oil before. Indeed, the most likely source is in the lower intake manifold gaskets. You might want to be certain by pressure testing the cooling system. You can get one of those pumps that installs in place of the radiator cap and pump it up. I made my own with a T-fitting plumbed into a heater hose (made for flushing the cooling system) and adapted a cap with a presta air valve from a bicycle inner tube. I pump it up with a bike pump, and I can test the radiator cap release pressure at the same time.

A leak in the head gasket usually results in combustion gasses in the coolant that you can smell and see. It also pushes the coolant into the overflow tank.
i didnt find the coolant in the oil until after i posted, i remember doing a test with a rubber glove to see if the head gasket was blown. ill see if i can borrow a tester from my friend a mechanic or failing that ill make my own. so now its drain and flush the oil system and see if the lower intake gasket is busted.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 PM
vtranger
Freshman User
big update, drained my oil and no coolant what-so-ever, flushed both the cooling system and the oil system. everything seams to be ok, ill be checking my fluids religiously for a while to make sure everything stays where it should.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:43 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

That seems to be a major part of maintenance; keeping fluids in where they belong and out of where they don't. Hope you're all set now.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:15 AM
vtranger
Freshman User
thanks, im glad for now things are ok, it seams to have been a lapse in judgment on my part for this problem. well at least i did learn that it takes a bit for the coolant to settle in the radiator properly.