6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

15 making oil, help/info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:12 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
This came from H&S in 2012. As far as I know they never got it figured out before the EPA crushed them.

Re: H&S Tuning only Allows Tires up to 34"???

We don't limit the tire size, Ford did.

We currently write only the ECM/TCM and a very small part of the ABS module. From what we can tell, there is more that needs to be changed inside the ABS module to get around the size constraints for tire size. I assume once we know more about the ABS computer, we will be able to get around it, but don't know until it is done. One of the fun things about programming, nothing is done, until it is DONE. You can always run into a brick wall out of nowhere that puts your entire theory to a screeching halt.

Tire size values are used in traction control, shift point, fuel consumption, mileage, etc etc. There are limits in many computers on the truck that will not allow you to just change a tire size without multiple negative consequences. We are working on a solution to make sizes adjustable outside of this range, but have not come up with a solution for the public yet.

Yes, we do it on the 6.4L Powerstroke, because we found a "special" way to manipulate the perception of tire size on all the modules of the truck at once... We hope to find something similar on the 6.7L at some point.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:19 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
Interesting. I'm surprised the traction control / ABS system is a factor in tire size...typically they only measure speed relative of one tire to another, not absolute speed.

Clearly Ford has proper programming...because the Raptor is rolling stock on 35" tires.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is no way for the ECM to know the truck's TRUE speed unless there is either GPS feedback or a pitot tube hidden behind the grill to take relative airspeed... All the axle and vehicle speed sensors in the world will not give true vehicle speed if you change tire sizes..

Old 01-12-2016, 07:29 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
I find this extremely hard to believe. Coming from a background of driving off-road for many years, I have always run much larger tires than stock on my off-road vehicles in order to gain ground clearance. Never once has this been an issue. Larger tires are harder to turn because it in effect changes the final drive ratio...therefore most off-roaders will also change to shorter gears in order to compensate. The net effect is less top speed, but nobody driving a Jeep or Land Rover cares. The reason Ford specifies a shorter gear for larger tires is to make sure towing ratings are not affected. However, the 6.7L has so much power I doubt the 3.31 would really care even if you were rolling on 35's. There are lots of people on this forum driving 6.7Ls with 35's or bigger, which are much larger than the very small difference between the overall height of the tires on an 18 vs 20 inch wheel. Maybe the shift points would be changed slightly, but I find that hard to believe a "not plausible speed" code would be set.
All I can tell you is I stood in the Ford bay and watched my truck throw CEL's when setting a size the 3.31 wasn't suppose to have. However, my truck is also "old" compared to the newer generations. I am sure there are programming differences.

Edit: I should have continued reading. Darren is good at providing facts!

Old 01-13-2016, 08:21 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd follow Ford Doctor's advice. Get it to a dealer, different one if you can't convince the one you are dealing with to help you. Have them diagnose and at least give you documentation to the effect that you are bringing the truck in for oil in fuel concerns.

I will also add that temperature of the oil can cause the volume to change on the dipstick... I noticed that last year when I thought my '15 was making oil. (and it wasn't).

Old 01-14-2016, 04:02 PM
emd160
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darren32
Something does not add up. If the engine holds roughly 13 quarts and you have 5 quarts extra should the fuel dilution not be more like 25%?

4% of 13 (or even 18) is less than a quart
[/COLOR] That's what my thoughts have been on it too, and one reason I waited but I can assure you I measured it going in and coming out and it's being diluted by that many quarts. Check the picture out at the bottom this was the last oil change and yes that's a 5 gallon bucket. Why it only comes up at 4% I don't really know. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in. As far as temputre wise the oil is warm but I can't see it being enough to change the volume of the oil that much.

As far as idle time I don't think that high, when I worked heavy highway our foreman sat in there trucks idling all the time. My buddy that's still a mechanical there says they don't see anything close to what my trucks doing. My tire size hasn't been corrected, I read on here that they could, but ford dealer wouldn't adjust it even though I suggested that he could step it up to the 20" and be closer. Said liability issues. It's currently at the ford garage now they called asking a few questions but haven't hinted anything yet. I pick it up tomorrow I'll let you know what I find out

Oh and here what came out of it this past oil change, haven't gotten the report back on it yet

Old 01-14-2016, 11:01 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Sure enough that bucket has at least 17 quarts in it. I don't understand how your truck isn't spewing oil out of something.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You would be amazed as to how much oil the crankcase will hold on these engines. When 6.4L engines have heavy oil dilution it is common for technicians to drain well over 30 quarts from the crankcase. It pisses me off if I am not expecting it because it exceeds the capacity of my oil drain bucket and ends up on my floor.

The engine will begin to run rough when the level approaches that but more importantly it causes a lot of oil to enter the CAC system through the crankcase vent. The 6.7L has not seen many cases of this severe type of contamination, I know that I have not seen it but I am sure it is possible if the pump leaks enough though the seal. I also imagine that the 6.7L PCM calibration, like the 6.4L, has a monitor that can detect high crankcase oil levels.

Old 01-15-2016, 06:22 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,018 Posts
unreal...did you show them the picture of the amount of oil?

Old 01-15-2016, 07:34 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Perhaps they overfilled it when they did the oil change? Previous generation engines took 15 quarts, so I can see how that could happen.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:21 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Tom
Perhaps they overfilled it when they did the oil change? Previous generation engines took 15 quarts, so I can see how that could happen.
My understanding is he changes his own oil.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
You would be amazed as to how much oil the crankcase will hold on these engines. When 6.4L engines have heavy oil dilution it is common for technicians to drain well over 30 quarts from the crankcase. It pisses me off if I am not expecting it because it exceeds the capacity of my oil drain bucket and ends up on my floor.

The engine will begin to run rough when the level approaches that but more importantly it causes a lot of oil to enter the CAC system through the crankcase vent. The 6.7L has not seen many cases of this severe type of contamination, I know that I have not seen it but I am sure it is possible if the pump leaks enough though the seal. I also imagine that the 6.7L PCM calibration, like the 6.4L, has a monitor that can detect high crankcase oil levels.
Thanks for the details. I wouldn't have guessed that level of capacity, not that it's good for the engine.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Yikes that is a a lot of extra oil... Something is off... PLEASE let us know what is causing this. Everyone that has a "rare" issue that gets it resolve helps the community out. I am sure that now even Ford Doctor is now curious as well.

I bet he is right since he sees a lot of trucks day in and day out.

BTW, when I looked at the OPs picture on my tablet it brought me to the OPs photobucket account - nice Mustang and Truck.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Yikes that is a a lot of extra oil... Something is off... PLEASE let us know what is causing this. Everyone that has a "rare" issue that gets it resolve helps the community out. I am sure that now even Ford Doctor is now curious as well.

I bet he is right since he sees a lot of trucks day in and day out.

BTW, when I looked at the OPs picture on my tablet it brought me to the OPs photobucket account - nice Mustang and Truck.

Old 01-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
My understanding is he changes his own oil.
I change my own oil as well - but I know if I relied on half the Ford Dealers service departments to tell me how much oil it takes, they would say 15 qts. And they would sell me that much too...

Good thing I read the manual...

Quick Reply: 15 making oil, help/info!