6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

15 making oil, help/info!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 01:06 PM
emd160
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
15 making oil, help/info!

So I have an '15 that Ive had for about a year and half now. From the first oil change till now the truck has constantly made oil in between oil changes. It usually 3-4 quarts extra everytime, this time it was almost 5.(yes I measure it out these aint guesses) Ive sent oil samples to blackstone from day one and it shows fuel in the oil.I don't idle the truck a lot and when it gets close to oil change time my transmission always starts shifting a little funny and ive come to belive it has to be from the excess oil because as soon as I change oil the transmission goes back to acting normal. I called service up and talked to them about it the second oil change I did and he said while I could bring it in and they look at it his best suggestion was change the oil sooner, which it totally unacceptable to me. So now that I have a few more oil changes on it and its still a problem I'm taking it in. Just looking to see how many other people have had this problem and what they found out or what the solution was before I head in and have them look at it.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:25 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by emd160
So I have an '15 that Ive had for about a year and half now. From the first oil change till now the truck has constantly made oil in between oil changes. It usually 3-4 quarts extra everytime, this time it was almost 5.(yes I measure it out these aint guesses) Ive sent oil samples to blackstone from day one and it shows fuel in the oil.I don't idle the truck a lot and when it gets close to oil change time my transmission always starts shifting a little funny and ive come to belive it has to be from the excess oil because as soon as I change oil the transmission goes back to acting normal. I called service up and talked to them about it the second oil change I did and he said while I could bring it in and they look at it his best suggestion was change the oil sooner, which it totally unacceptable to me. So now that I have a few more oil changes on it and its still a problem I'm taking it in...
I'm happy to hear that you're getting this into the hands of your dealer, emd160. What's the truck's current mileage?

Crystal

Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 PM
emd160
Senior User
It has 32,800 on it right now

Old 01-07-2016, 05:49 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It has 32,800 on it right now
JMHO, you should have had it to the dealer long time ago.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:56 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
What is the percentage of fuel in the blackstone report?

Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
How long are you going between oil changes? What are your driving conditions like? Does the truck idle much?

Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
I feel for you. You have a tough road ahead of you in order to figure this out.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM
cappa
Senior User
Delete it and sleep easy

Old 01-08-2016, 01:55 PM
roadrunner01
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with above, this should have been addressed the second you noticed the oil gaining on the dipstick. If your dealer has no better advice than changing the oil sooner you have two options;
1) Get Ford involved
2) Find another dealer

Your situation is not normal, I have 30,000 mi. on my '15 and I change by the IOLM which is between 7,500 mi. - 10,000 mi. Per UOA never any fuel present and samples have been nothing short of stellar. Oil stays at the full mark between oil changes and I run 10w-30.

Please keep us posted to your situation.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by kper05
What is the percentage of fuel in the blackstone report?
x2, it has to be huge!

Old 01-08-2016, 05:10 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
what is the interval. How many idle hours on the motor.

What is your average miles per gallon?

Off hand...excessive regens or leaking injectors can ruin fuel ecomony.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:19 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Making oil is very bad. It could lead to engine overhaul if not addressed.

Old 01-09-2016, 12:36 AM
Jus2shy
Elder User
Originally Posted by cappa
Delete it and sleep easy
Deleting doesn't resolve all oil-making issues. Best have the dealer look and ensure it isn't a stuck injector or something of that nature.

Last edited by Jus2shy; 01-09-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: forgot quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:58 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I have an '15 that Ive had for about a year and half now. From the first oil change till now the truck has constantly made oil in between oil changes. It usually 3-4 quarts extra everytime, this time it was almost 5.(yes I measure it out these aint guesses) Ive sent oil samples to blackstone from day one and it shows fuel in the oil.I don't idle the truck a lot and when it gets close to oil change time my transmission always starts shifting a little funny and ive come to belive it has to be from the excess oil because as soon as I change oil the transmission goes back to acting normal. I called service up and talked to them about it the second oil change I did and he said while I could bring it in and they look at it his best suggestion was change the oil sooner, which it totally unacceptable to me. So now that I have a few more oil changes on it and its still a problem I'm taking it in. Just looking to see how many other people have had this problem and what they found out or what the solution was before I head in and have them look at it.
Oil dilution concerns are not common on the 6.7L at all - even with high idle hours however some is considered normal. Extended maintenance intervals can account for elevated engine oil levels so the recommendation was not totally out of line. If you are good with respect to maintenance then we can eliminate that. If the engine has no performance concerns related to base engine and fuel trims or aftertreatment system problems related to DPF regeneration, the high pressure fuel pump is suspect. Although the entire fuel injection system on this engine is external, the high pressure fuel pump is mounted on the back of the front engine cover and is gear driven. A leak in the shaft seal could be causing your fuel dilution issues.

As a technician I might first insist on changing the engine oil and setting the oil level where I want it. This would be done for the purpose of setting a baseline for diagnosis and then have you drive the vehicle and return for evaluation. If the oil level has risen significantly I might approach this with dye in the fuel and attempt to diagnose the pump seal as I would leaks in a 6.4L system. Regardless of those results, if over fueling on any or multiple cylinders or regenerations can be ruled out then I would replace the high pressure pump and re-evaluate.

That is what I would do for you and I doubt Ford would have any issue with that diagnostic and repair approach from my experience. The dealership and the technician you have looking at your truck may not think similarly but I know a lot of tech's do. You might need to contact Ford Customer Service or see a different dealer.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:44 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck had 3,000 miles on it and the dip stick showed, on level ground / cold, that it was 1/2 quart low. I pulled my trailer on a 2k trip and just changed the oil at the 5,500 mile mark - but before I did, the dipstick showed that it was full. Basically it had dilluted the oil by 1/2 quart over 2,500 miles.
I am keeping an eye on it for now.
The fuel economy is running around 14MPG combined and 15.5 unloaded highway miles and I don't drive over 70 MPH ever and accerate at a low to moderate pace.

--edit--
Oil I used is Rotella T6 - 5w-40 synthetic. Motorcraft filter.

Quick Reply: 15 making oil, help/info!