6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Change engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Change engine?

Can a 6.4 engine be replaced with any other Ford engine?
6.7 , 6.0 or 7.3?

I'm looking at 12g to repair my fuel system which could go again
2 months after its repaired.

There has to be another option?

There is no class action suit against Ford in Canada for the fuel system problem.
Ford of Canada tells me it hardly ever happens.

I can name 50 times without looking very hard.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
It can be made to happen. There is a group on PSA that have put 7.3s in 08-10 trucks. If I were swapping engines, I would go the Cummins route as it has been done a lot and parts are out for the swap. Not sure you can make it happen for cheaper than a fuel system swap though.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 977 Likes on 752 Posts
wasn't the f-450 avail with V-10. find a donor (roll over write off) and transfer everything.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:18 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Old 01-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
wasn't the f-450 avail with V-10. find a donor (roll over write off) and transfer everything.

Good idea Ill look into it.

I talked to a shop in Washington they said be prepared to spend $30,000 for a Cummins swap.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To do it right you will spend $30k... And you are still stuck with pretty much the same fuel system.

That said, if you really want to spend an arm and a leg pull your 6.4 and build it... Anything you swap into it that is worth the time will have the exact same fuel issues. Drop $15,000 and build your 6.4... Delipped pistons, stg 2 cam, studs, and a full rebuild will give you the best driving and one of the most reliable motors on the road.

Just don't go running a 300+hp tune and wonder why you wasted $15k.

Seriously, the fuel system itself isn't the problem. Its the fuel and the owners of the trucks. Gm and Ram have the exact same problems... The answer is over maintenance and an aftermarket fuel filtration system.

But I have said this over and over, people just don't want to hear the truth.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:37 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by Vinford
Good idea Ill look into it.

I talked to a shop in Washington they said be prepared to spend $30,000 for a Cummins swap.
You could put a 12 valve in it for WAY less than that. Assuming you want to get away from common rail fuel systems.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:16 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Putting a 12v in place of a 6.4 is a huge step back. And to do it right will cost more than building a 6.4. Trust me, I have watched more than a few 12v swaps top $25k and still not come out quite right. For that kind of money you can fully build a 6.4 and the transmission behind it and never worry about it again (Unless ofc you neglect the fuel system).

If you want to do it do a 6.7 cummins swap just because it would actually be kinda cool. But no matter what you do it will be retardedly expensive.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:24 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by CrazySob
To do it right you will spend $30k... And you are still stuck with pretty much the same fuel system.

That said, if you really want to spend an arm and a leg pull your 6.4 and build it... Anything you swap into it that is worth the time will have the exact same fuel issues. Drop $15,000 and build your 6.4... Delipped pistons, stg 2 cam, studs, and a full rebuild will give you the best driving and one of the most reliable motors on the road.

Just don't go running a 300+hp tune and wonder why you wasted $15k.

Seriously, the fuel system itself isn't the problem. Its the fuel and the owners of the trucks. Gm and Ram have the exact same problems... The answer is over maintenance and an aftermarket fuel filtration system.

But I have said this over and over, people just don't want to hear the truth.

So I rebuild the 6.4 and make it as good as you say, one bad tank of fuel and there goes my $15,000 engine rebuild?
That's where I'm having doubts about fixing it , what happens down the road?
I cant spend $12,000 a year keeping it running, I did everything possible for this not to happen.
I did regular maintaince, changed filters , drained primary , used conditioner , never used fuel out of my tidy tank , bought fuel at the highest volume place in town.
I even didn't drive this truck steady trying to make it last.

Its a great big FORD WHITE ELEPHANT!

Old 01-05-2016, 11:14 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
So I rebuild the 6.4 and make it as good as you say, one bad tank of fuel and there goes my $15,000 engine rebuild?
That's where I'm having doubts about fixing it , what happens down the road?
I cant spend $12,000 a year keeping it running, I did everything possible for this not to happen.
I did regular maintaince, changed filters , drained primary , used conditioner , never used fuel out of my tidy tank , bought fuel at the highest volume place in town.
I even didn't drive this truck steady trying to make it last.

Its a great big FORD WHITE ELEPHANT!
I like the V10 idea. If a diesel swap is in the cards most opt for a 12v cummins. It can make great power, excellent reliability and great mpg's. IMO the 12V cummins in a SuperDuty is a step up from a 6.4....
Locally we have a shop that does swaps, labor costs are usually in the 10-12k range. I considered it many times...often. Finding the right motor is usually the hard part.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:50 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Ok... First thing is first, I have 117k miles on my fuel system and my truck still hold rail pressure just fine. I know of a few 6.4s here in MN that are completely stock and have NEVER had any major repairs that are over 250k miles. Why? Simple... They kept up on fuel filters (only motorcraft) and emptied the hfcm every other week.

I hate to say it but if you take care of things the fuel system isn't an issue. Run an additive like stanadyne and drain the damn hfcm....

And fwiw if you take care of things from day one (rebuild) you will never have a problem with it.

I can only say this so many times and I will probably offend more than a few people (not that I give a crap)... Take care of your truck and it will take care of you. Yes there are freak failures but the vast majority of problems are caused by YOU as an owner. If you bought the truck from someone that sucks... But again, its not the trucks fault or Ford's... Within 10k miles of a hpfp failure you will see it if you monitor or have the truck checked out by a reputable shop. You should know if you have a problem...

And again, Gm and Ram have the SAME problems...

Old 01-06-2016, 12:05 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Within 10k miles of a hpfp failure you will see it if you monitor or have the truck checked out by a reputable shop. You should know if you have a problem...

Checking the filters for shavings every 10k at a shop would get a little expensive.
I'm taking your advice but I still cant believe its all operator error.....................

And the way I understand it once you know you have a problem its to late?

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 AM
CrazySob
Senior User
You will actually see frp drop if you watch it...

You don't need a shop to check for metal, when buying a truck its kinda nice to have someone who knows what they are doing look at it. The signs of neglect are there, you just need to know what to look for. That was my point about having a shop look her over.

All of the 6.0 guys can't believe its operator error either. The fact of the matter is a 5k mile oil change (2500 if you are stock) and fuel filters every other oil change will give you a 200k+ mile 6.4.

But the point I am trying to make is quite simple... The fuel systems on all modern CR diesels are the same. We all suffer just the same and it isn't actually a major failure with the 6.4 itself. The problems with the 6.4 are pistons and lifters (camshaft actually) combined with oil dilution. All diesels share injection issues.... Asking about doing a cummins swap because you have a fuel system problem is makes no sense. The 5.9 has just as many problems with injectors and the 6.4 does piston problems. They don't kill the motor quite as often though (They do melt pistons more than people admit thought).

And fwiw a hpfp job on a 6.4 shouldn't cost you more than $8000... You are being taken..........

Old 01-06-2016, 09:19 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I dont buy into the statement that the opeartor can prevent the failure buy doing more than what the OEM indicates is the proper duty cycle maint for this one reason

this is simply a design problem in which there is no filter between the high presure pump and the injectors. the metal flakes are aluminum and cuased by the fuel pump impeller eating into the pump housing......the flakes travel to the injectors ...and execess fuel from the injectors travels back to the tank....yes the fuel cooler is involved depending on how hot the fuel is. Once the fuel is in the tank....your sump pics it up and you get metal flakes in your primary filter and in some cases (the initial filters do not have a second o-ring) you get flakes in the secondary that get past the primary. so by the time you see flakes in your filter...your pump already failed.

the basic problem is that there is no filter after the high pressure fuel pump to catch metal as a result of failed pumps. The metal flakes you see in the filters is not foreign metal that cuases the pump to fail...that metal is the pump failing.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:32 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by CrazySob
Putting a 12v in place of a 6.4 is a huge step back. And to do it right will cost more than building a 6.4. Trust me, I have watched more than a few 12v swaps top $25k and still not come out quite right. For that kind of money you can fully build a 6.4 and the transmission behind it and never worry about it again (Unless ofc you neglect the fuel system).

If you want to do it do a 6.7 cummins swap just because it would actually be kinda cool. But no matter what you do it will be retardedly expensive.
No doubt it is a step back in technology and refinement. Judging by his situation and questions in the last few threads, he just wants something simple and reliable. Nothing more reliable than a mechanical engine.

The v-10 is also a good idea.

Quick Reply: Change engine?