Sponsored by:

Broken headlight switch. Workaround?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 PM
Mary_Kate_Olsen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday night my headlight switch stopped turning on my dash board lights and the outside marker lights (altought the headlights still work). One of the pins on the switch is totaly fired (B2). And the plastic pigtail connector is all melted. Here is a picture of the circuit right now:

Here is a picture of how I plain on rewiring it for now:

My question is: Could whatever caused the malfunction in the first place cause a short or a fire in my new circuit?

Also are there any Ford dealers known to give give discounts through their parts department? My car is a Toyota and I know a Toyota dealer who will sell me any part for almost cost. A new switch and pigtail is almost $45. I found the switch for almost half price from www.carparts.com" but they charge a ton for shipping so I would only save a few bucks (and have to wait weeks).

Last edited by Mary_Kate_Olsen; 08-07-2003 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:14 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic

I'd pick it up at the junkyard; I found tons of them on Monday while I was there. If you are a repair shop, you'll get a hefty discount. Find/make up a friend who works for a large shop, and get him to call the part in for you, then pick them up "for the shop" and pay cash. But you'd probably do better to cut the harness and several inches of wire out of the junkard and get the switch too.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Mary_Kate_Olsen
Senior User

Well I got the switch installed and it is working great. I used smaller guage wire and a 20A switch so nothing I installed should be the weakest link. But I can't help being worried about somthing drawing too much current, and seeing a repeat of the first melted pin.

Originally posted by bigric
I'd pick it up at the junkyard.
I asked a mechanic friend of mine, and he didn't think the junkyard was the best way to go. He seamed to think a "new" one with 100,000 miles on it is just a timebomb waiting for the same thing to happen. I tend to agree.

The switch I installed is just there until I get a job or I find a good deal on a new switch.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:34 PM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic

A headlight switch really isn't terribly prone to failure. I haven't replaced a switch yet in a vehicle that I've owned, including my '67 and '68 F100s. But as long as your repair works, go with it.