1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 08:09 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Thanks
Got more done today
Pulled the clamps off and glassed the areas I could not with the clamps in place.
Wile that set up I spaced out the tail gate hinges, 1 washer between body & hinge worked but I don't like it so going to find flat stock and make a spacer the full size of the hinge base.

Back on the fender with the 2nd fuel door, I found another crack so mixed up more rosin when I put a 2nd coat on the door glass.
When that set up I mounted fender to the body so it would not move when working on it.
I mixed up filler that has fine fiber lass in it for the first coat on the out side of the fender and finished off with normal filler. Also did the cracks on the outside and sanded both fenders down.
Have 1 more crack that needs filler and more sanding on the fenders along the edges.

As you can see the truck is outside under it's own power. When out I cleaned up the mess and blew the truck off.
Dave ----

Old 04-30-2018, 10:24 AM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On the tailgate chain coating(s); back in the day when I was chroming HD parts - or to be accurate, having it done - I would also have things only nickel plated. It's part of the chroming process and much cheaper if you have them just do that plus a very durable finish. Food for thought, but if you have a chromer nearby it might be worth a phone call.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:53 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by fljab
On the tailgate chain coating(s); back in the day when I was chroming HD parts - or to be accurate, having it done - I would also have things only nickel plated. It's part of the chroming process and much cheaper if you have them just do that plus a very durable finish. Food for thought, but if you have a chromer nearby it might be worth a phone call.
AMC only nickel plated their "chrome" valve covers & small air filter lids never the full on chrome.

That would work and look nice but I don't know any platers down here and the hours I work no one is open to go see any way.
Right now I am looking at treating the rust and then painting them or get new but the pocket book it pretty low right now.
Dave ----

Old 04-30-2018, 02:07 PM
fljab
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Those OEM AMC parts are pricey these days. I'm getting ready to pull the '70 390 out of my American and rebuild it. I'd like to add some of those items but not likely as the prices have gone up so much.

On your parts, that could be done anytime so good call to just treat them at home for now. If it's an issue later that you would like to do, can pull and send them off.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Not to the truck but for the truck.
My brother in CA sent me another care package with more flare side parts.
Got the 2 steps, 1 got crunched by the fork lift it looks like, and all the brackets and fender opening support brackets.
I also got the rear fender opening support brackets too.

He sent the 2 tail lights, 1 housing is cracked, both lenses and 1 side leans are gone.
The big thing is they came with brackets to bolt to the bed!

He also sent all the bolts & nuts needed for the parts sent.
Now I need to get in gear and finish the body work and get paint on this truck!
Dave ----

Old 05-02-2018, 04:38 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Really starting to come together nicely Dave!!

Old 05-02-2018, 05:47 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks Scott,
When I showed my brother in CA, he has sent me parts for the flare side bed, a picture of the truck today he said it looks like a truck again!

I got to get this truck done so I can get back on the Javelin and get it on the road.
Dave ----

Old 05-06-2018, 09:17 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
We had one of our foster pups adopted yesterday and some yard work so a late start on the truck.
Ever since I blead the brakes I have had a leak at the right rear wheel. A week ago I checked the line & bleeder and were tight so I pulled the wheel & drum thinking I would find my new shoes soaked.
Well was happy the shoes were dry but the new wheel cly was leaking from 1 of the cups down the backing plate and out. The wheel cly has been in about a year but only had fluid no more than a month.
I checked my local AZ and they have a power brake cly in stock but do not even list a non-power one so have to dig deeper to see if they are the same or not.

On the tail gate I use a washer between body & hinge as a spacer. It worked but needed a little more and I did not like the 1 washer look so a better spacer needed to be made.
Looking around I came across the fiber glass fuel door cut out. It was a little thicker and easy to work with. I laid the hinge on the sheet and traced the "foot print" so it supported the full hinge base on the body.
Did not get a picture but don't know if you could see them as they are the same foot print as the hinge but the spacing is good now.

Just as I was finishing that up my new rear lic. plate mount from Ron aka Reamer, showed up so had to test fit it on the truck.
Had to drill 2 holes on the bracket to mount to the truck but other than that it fit like a glove!

I then moved on to the rear fuel tank filler neck & hose, front I had done a few weeks ago.
When my brother sent parts to me, part of them was a stock flare side filler door on down to about a foot from the tank and cut the rubber hose and inner plastic vent tube.
The style side part I had where the bend was it hit the floor. I might of made it work but the flare side hose had the bend farther down and would work better.
I can get that hose and the part on the tank all ready together using exh. pipe & clamps. The inner plastic will take a little more work to join the 2 parts but I have a plan just hope its a good one.

Other than replacing that leaking wheel cly I think I have to get on the rest of the body work as I don't have much more little things to like this to do.
I hate body work and why I have been putting it off.
Dave ----

Old 05-06-2018, 09:29 AM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi Dave
Good to see the bracket.
I decided not to drill the holes for the bed lip mount and the light mount since I don't know if everyone has the same mount holes because of rust and body work on the lip. and I don't know if everyone has the factory license plate light or some after-market set-up.

But did use nutserts for the actual plate. (those holes are standard everywhere)....

Old 05-06-2018, 10:01 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by reamer
Hi Dave
Good to see the bracket.
I decided not to drill the holes for the bed lip mount and the light mount since I don't know if everyone has the same mount holes because of rust and body work on the lip. and I don't know if everyone has the factory license plate light or some after-market set-up.

But did use nutserts for the actual plate. (those holes are standard everywhere)....
On the holes I figured that and was a good call. I don't know what plate light I will end up with yet.
Thanks again for making the plate brackets
Dave G.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:06 AM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Well the weekend is here and gone so it was work on the truck time. Got a late start on Saturday as an AMC car guy stopped by and we spent 3+ hours BS’ing.
Plan was hang parts I wanted to paint so I could paint them with out getting over spray on other things and then paint them. I only got pictures of before painting the parts and not all of them are hanging.

Sunday was to install the painted parts other than rear end on the frame to make room in the garage to pull more parts off of the parts truck.

Also I wanted to swap the small bolt pattern (BP) rotors out from the painted suspension for the large BP rotors that came on the truck so I don’t need to have 2 different spare tires. I also have a post about this but in short you cannot swap them, the spindles are different between the 2 even that they both use the same inner/outer bearings & calipers. So I have to look into swapping spindles, thing is the large BP spindle kingpins are frozen and why I swapped the whole assy. So stay tuned.

The replacement cab corner came last week but was left at a door we don’t use so never saw it till I called to find out where it was. This time I did not trim it too short, the rocker, rear door post & cab corner are fitted so the next day off I will weld them in place.

Once they are welded and nothing can shift I can work the floor panel. I also looked over the parts truck and I think I can cut out the other patches needed for my truck from it. I also bought the weather strip lip at the bottom of the doors so I need to weld them in too.
Then on to the fire wall A/C deal.
Dave ----
So yours came with mis-matched hub sizes too? I just got an ‘82 and it has small in the rear and large bp in the front. I figured someone had just swapped the larger hubs on at some point but maybe not now.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:12 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by vicp21

So yours came with mis-matched hub sizes too? I just got an ‘82 and it has small in the rear and large bp in the front. I figured someone had just swapped the larger hubs on at some point but maybe not now.
No it did not come to me mismatched.
The FS truck had the large hubs my SS parts truck the small hubs.
I did not know this till I got the parts truck front suspension bolted in the FS and went to put the after market wheels on and would not fit.

Then I went to swap hubs to spindles and found the spindles were different and you can't swap the spindles to beams because of different size king pins.
So I ended up replacing the large hub king pins, they were frozen, so I can run my aftermarket wheels.

BTW when doing front brakes I found that was all different between the 2 hub sizes also so had to spend more money on that too.
Dave - - - -

Old 05-07-2018, 06:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner

My large hubs were on a truck that had non-power brakes, what does yours have?

Also know the larger hub rear axle has 11" drums where the small hub is 10" and 11" shoes are wider also.

I would say some one changed out the rear end on your truck and why the miss match.
Or they swapped the whole front suspension but I can't see that was likely done.
Dave - - - -

Old 05-07-2018, 12:02 PM
vicp21
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are different sizes for some reason. My plan is 4x4ttb so I need a bigger rear for mine.

Big (front)

Small (rear)

Last edited by vicp21; 05-07-2018 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Photo
Old 05-07-2018, 04:58 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Mine are different sizes for some reason. My plan is 4x4ttb so I need a bigger rear for mine.

Big (front)

Small (rear)
If you are going 4x4 the front & rear axle ratios have to match so get the rear axle at the same time from the same truck and you should be good.
Dave - - - -

Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side