1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
That 6 cylinder is going to look great painted AMC engine blue!!! Hee Hee!

Old 05-27-2016, 05:30 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,108 Likes on 1,796 Posts
Originally Posted by scottscott
That 6 cylinder is going to look great painted AMC engine blue!!! Hee Hee!
LOL I saw the cans when buying the Ford blue and don't think that did not cross my mind.
Dave - - - -

Old 05-28-2016, 07:59 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Ruff start today, went to pick up parts about 10 miles away and 5 miles out they shut the road down. Not knowing the roads to well took a 20 mile detour. Then 2 blocks from the parts store the fire dept. had that road block too! That was not bad as I know the roads a little better around there. On the way home a mile down the road I realized they did not give me the clutch kit so had to go back for that. A few little jobs around the house and it was time to hit the project.

First was a final washing of motor & trany and get paint on them so it could dry wile doing other things. Changed out the 2 front rubber brake hoses. Found a torch and was able to get the cat off the rest of the exh. System and hung the tail pipe, muffler & front pipe just to get them off the floor. Also pop rivet the heat shield, from parts truck, between exh pipe and passenger floor. Picture of heat shield & exh system.

Cleaned up some brackets, fan and motor mounts and hit them with paint. Once dry (enough) installed the motor mounts and a few brackets.

Moved trany off hoist and got motor off stand. Checked to make sure the clutch kit would fit, disc on input shaft, pilot bearing on shaft, etc. That is when I got thinking why I don’t have a pilot bushing remover? I have a bearing / seal driver but no remover!
Found a wood dowel and ground it down to fit inside the bushing then went with the old stand by…….wet tissue! I can tell you it is a LOT cleaner than grease.

Once the old bushing was out installed the new pilot bearing – yep bearing then the rest of the clutch parts. Bolted up the bell then had to pull it back off because I could not get the throw out lever in place. Once that was fixed I bolted the trany up to the bell so motor & trany are ready to drop into the frame.

Let see what tomorrow will bring
Dave ----

Old 05-29-2016, 09:02 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Got the motor & trany installed in the frame. Had to as I could not close the garage door all the way with the motor/trany on the hoist. It was fun when it is just you trying to do it.

After having to pull the motor back up, missed 1 motor mount bolt, I had to turn the trany cross member 180* and then found the trany rubber mount also had to be turned 180*.

Then started to put things on the motor after cleaning and painting. Alt & bracket, dist. cap & wires, coil, had to swap P/S pumps as the box from the parts truck had a ford pump and the motor had brackets for a Saginaw pump, fuel line from frame to pump and pump to carb.

Cleaned up the trany cover, it had some real nasty sealer for a seal and just as nasty trying to get that off. Need to hammer it straight before I bolt it down but to get it out of the way just placed it over the trany.

The day was still young so I pulled the rear springs on the parts truck, wire brushed & cleaned them up along with the ubolts & spring plates. Then hit the springs & plates with paint and called it a day.

I hope the springs will be dry by tomorrow so I can install the rear, do the rear wheel cly, Ebrake cables, new shoes and finish the brake lines. This way it will be on all 4 wheels and I can push it outside for a little garage cleaning before I figure what I want to do next on it.

Clutch linkage I have to deal with soon.

Dave ----

Old 05-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Looking GOOD! I'm impressed with your progress.

Old 05-30-2016, 04:32 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Looking GOOD! I'm impressed with your progress.
Thanks, I was just saying to the wife when she said come back to bed, and not in a fun way that she gave me to the end of the month to be finished and on the road. We know that is not going to happen but I am still trying.

Beside not having breakfast or lunch, hand full of trail mix here-n-there, gives you a lot of time to work. Beside I need to lose a few more pounds.

Cup of tea, catch up on here and then back to the garage. It will be on all 4 wheels by end of day!
Dave ----

Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Being a holiday I only spent a half day working on the truck.

Installed the rear springs then installed the rear end.
Next up was the rear brakes, had new shoes, wheel cly. And ebrake cables. I knew 1 cly was bad and drum not in good shape never looked at the other side till today and everything went down the drain!

On closer look someone put the 2 small shoes on 1 side and the 2 large on the other! The self adjuster cable guide was missing on 1 side and they used a screw & nut to hold the cable in place – read would not work!
Small shoes & leaking cly side.

Large shoes & screw/nut cable guide

A quick look at auto zone on line and saw they had both adjuster kits, a all spring kit and 2 drums. I also needed brake tools as I think my son grabbed them before I moved down here. Tear down was easy, going back together not soeasy, new springs are tuff!

If you look real close atthe first “done” picture you will see the ebrake cable spring hanging low. The springs were too long on both cables had to cut 2.5” – 3” off the springs just so they would not hang too low. I may need to cut another ½” – 1” off the springs because when you put the ebrake on there may not be enough room for the cable to pull on the arm with out the spring going into coil bind.

Got to say it is nice to have the truck sitting on all 4 wheels

Dave ----

Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM
SVTKID92
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking good my friend!

Old 05-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Yes, it is!

Old 05-31-2016, 06:25 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks guys.
I have been putting off the little bit of body filler work needed on the 2 cab corners and rear of cab so think I will get that out of the way.

Then will look at the 2 doors, 1 I know has a little rust so I will cut it out, treat the rust and weld in good metal. Also need to look into a fix for the mirror mounting holes. Doors have to go back on before the nose and why they need to be fixed next.

All this wile I figure out a fix for the clutch linkage.
Any one know where I can get a new screw in block mount pivot for the cross bar?
Mine is worn down pretty good and new I think would be cheap.
Dave ----

Old 05-31-2016, 07:00 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
See if you can Google it from these:

Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Thanks will do ASAP
Dave ----

Old 05-31-2016, 08:26 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Looking Fantastic!
Really getting there!

Old 06-03-2016, 04:39 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Not to the truck but for the truck today I ordered clutch linkage bushings & mirrors.

When I get the bushings I will be able to weld, grind and file the parts and use the bushings to make sure they are the right size.

As for the mirrors I need them for when I do the body work to the doors to know what holes need welding and others drilled.

Gary, as for googling that part number did not come up with much. The one that may have it did not describe the part or what it was for. It was only about $30 but I think I can fix what I have or give it a good try.
Dave ----

Old 06-03-2016, 04:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I welded one up and turned it down in the lathe.

Quick Reply: New owner 1980 F100 Flare Side