North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:04 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Dustin.

Gathering parts Huh? OK what are you up to. Fess up now.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HEAVYDOC
Looks good
Thanks!!!

Old 06-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Marty the gauge pod looks good.

I'll be in the shop some more this weekend. It's time to finish this project up. Trying to decide if I want to respray the hood while it's still off, due to orange peel.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:05 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, y'all are staying busy!
Dave, I've crawled and laid on rafters, not fun, even on a padded guy. Hope you got the garage door opener working like it should. You have the same luck that I do with something that "Should" be easy, will normally stomp a mud hole in me.

Marty!!! Glad to see that you did finally get our transmission serviced, and that pillar mounted gauge looks fine. Even matches the stock color pretty well.
Josh, if your painting this weekend, keep an eye on the temp, and humidity. Too high humidity can/will kill the paint by making it flash too quick.

Y'all behave

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Thanks fellas...the gauge pod is growing on me...lol. I really don't have a beef with with the pods per se', I just don't care for them. Call me old school...lol. I have to admit it does make installing a gauge much easier than finding a place in or under the dash. I just don't want my truck looking like a jetliner on the inside. Some folks have suggested that I should've gotten a ScanGauge or such, but hanging wires ain't gonna cut it with me...lol. I just wanted one simple Gauge, properly installed.

Josh, I plan on coming over Saturday to give you a hand.

Bob, Yep, finally got the fluid changed. Sending a sample off to Blackstone. I've noticed that my RPM's at a given cruising speed have dropped +/- 200rpm., even lower than what they should be according to Ford. The 154* temp that you see in the pic is after 2hrs of highway driving. Very satisfied with the readings.

Be Good!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:38 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Josh, looking good. I know it feels good to get color on the body.

Wife was in NY city last weekend so I was fur kid sitting.
I also R&R the garage door opener, the old one would not stop when it closed and the adjustments no longer worked.
Not a fun job by your self but it worked with the 2 car remotes.
The old wall button would not work with the new opener so wired up the new wall switch and temp hung it in the garage.

Got out early from work so figured I would mount the new switch inside above where the old one was. The old button was on the inside wall and wire ran up inside and above the finished garage ceiling.

Figure put a string on 1 end and pull it thru put new wire on string and pull it back thru easy right? Nope a few feet in and the string is not on wire. Pissed off I yank the old wire out as I cant get to it to pull it back where I started.
About 5 min after I get the wire out I start yelling calling ME every name in the book!
Why because I DID NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE OLD WIRE, I COULD HAVE USED IT!

Another day out early and was able to get a new wire run, not easy.
Wife kept telling me "do it another day". Thing is it was cool out side but not so upstairs in the crawl space and would only get hotter when hotter outside and why I had to do it then.

The crawl space upstairs is open rafters, ever try to crawl on rafters? Lucky I had a bunch of 2x6x6 boards I laid out a little help from wife and wire snakes and got it run.

And of course my trucks door button does not work with this new door so had to order a bridge to talk between old truck and new opener.

Because of the door opener no work got done on my project. Maybe tomorrow as no work because of the rain we have had.
Dave ----
Just around the corner when you need a hand. Just holler, you've got my number. I may not be 20 and nimble any more but I am still scrawny and haven't fallen through a ceiling (well in the last 15 years at least).

Old 06-22-2017, 10:49 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Marty, you'll see, multiple things in mind. Josh I can come over Saturday if you need a hand.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:34 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like we will all be busy this weekend..

I'm not sure what I am gonna tackle first, but I plan to get some work done on project reincarnation.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,123 Likes on 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Marty the gauge pod looks good.

I'll be in the shop some more this weekend. It's time to finish this project up. Trying to decide if I want to respray the hood while it's still off, due to orange peel.
Marty, I think the gauge looks good too.

Josh, what type of paint are you using and how many coats did you lay down?

Originally Posted by ubereal2
Wow, y'all are staying busy!
Dave, I've crawled and laid on rafters, not fun, even on a padded guy. Hope you got the garage door opener working like it should. You have the same luck that I do with something that "Should" be easy, will normally stomp a mud hole in me.

Marty!!! Glad to see that you did finally get our transmission serviced, and that pillar mounted gauge looks fine. Even matches the stock color pretty well.
Josh, if your painting this weekend, keep an eye on the temp, and humidity. Too high humidity can/will kill the paint by making it flash too quick.

Y'all behave
Yes I did get it all installed. Only thing left is the key pad for outside, 2 screws and program. Never had one before but should not be hard to install, famous last words!

Josh, That is vary true and one reason I have not painted the inside of the cab on my truck.
To help some get a slow drying high temp thinner/reducer.
I did get some for my paint but I don't think it is enough for the job and the other reason I have been putting it off.

Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Just around the corner when you need a hand. Just holler, you've got my number. I may not be 20 and nimble any more but I am still scrawny and haven't fallen through a ceiling (well in the last 15 years at least).
To tell the truth I forgot you are around the corner.
All turned out good and the ceiling has no holes so I guess I did good

My weekend plan is to spray the foam between the roof panels of my project. Hope this will stiffen the top panel & insulate for heat & cold.
If that goes good and not too hot maybe get paint on the inside of cab.

If that does not pan out then get back on the dash pad repair. If it works out great if not oh well it was junk any way.
Dave ----

Old 06-23-2017, 08:26 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Dave, anytime I can help just give a call, text, or send a smoke signal. There is a BBQ joint over near you somewhere that I passed a while back that I wanted to try I think, but dang if I can remember the name. Once i figure it out, we'll have to go grab some grub. Since I'm in Fuquay most of the time I try to grab people to eat lunch with, to break up the monotony of the days. I tell you living where you work ain't all it's cracked up to be.

I'm spraying a single stage CHEAP paint. It's an acrylic enamel, stock off the shelf color from a budget on line store. I bought a kit which comes with 1 gallon of paint, the correct amount of hardener and reducer, sticks, mixing cup, filters. All for around 100 per kit.

So for those pieces, Marty and I did a nice quick 400 grit wet sand (with just a touch of dawn) then wiped it down with grease and wax remover. The paint cup I have is on the small side, so we mixed up in about 3 batches. After mixing, I tack off each piece before spraying. The first batch i sprayed on very very light, just to have something to stick to. Then after giving it about 15 minutes (the recommended flash time) I go over it with a tack rag (if I remember), and then lay the next coat on pretty wet, but I think i'm moving to fast or dont have the gun adjusted right, as it was tiger striping. Another 15 minutes, another tack off and then another wet coat. Using a 1.5 tip I believe, which is what the instructions with the paint call for. 1.3 to 1.8 I think, or maybe that's the size of the tips I have... can't remember right now.

Dave, If you get tired of working on your project, or feel like it swing by tomorrow afternoon. I call them work days, but we do spend a majority of it talking, and I will always appreciate any and all additional knowledge, as I'm primarily doing this as a learning experience. Just let me know if you'll be here before lunch, so I can make sure I have a burger on for you. Bacon Cheddar burgers, I cheat and buy them from the HT as it's about the same as making my own.

The shop is shaded pretty well, so with the little ac unit and keeping the doors closed it stays pretty cool. Thought about taking some time and building a wood box to cover half the door so I can put a fan in front of part of it. But I swear this project is just nickel and dimeing me to death.

However if I was to keep the shop, I would plan on a dehumidifier and another AC unit or two as well as insulating the rest of it When I hang the tarps, the insulated half stays really cold and comfortable during the summer. The tarps just seem to reduce the usable space a lot.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:47 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Sight glass for ac compressor. So my day is shot!

Old 06-24-2017, 09:58 AM
dlibson
Hotshot
That sucks Josh.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:43 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Well got out there is morning and pulled the rear bumper off. Got 2 bolts in the new one, either got to drill 2 more holes, or do a little welding.

Name:  20170624_091519.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  187.5 KB

also got the rear driveshaft extended and welded up. Just need 4 U joints now and they will be ready to bolt in.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:35 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Did a little more work this morning, Got the carb bolted down, took the accelerator cable off the other EFI 300 and cut it down then drilled a couple holes and got it mounted. Just got to pickup the little nipple to clip the cable on and that will be done. Got the solenoid bolted back in, starter wire ran down, and a positive wire ready to connect to the battery. Also got a negative hooked to the battery and routed down to be bolted om the ear of the starter, just got to go pick it up and bolt it in. Got the toolbox set in, just got to bolt it down. Drilled 2 holes in the bed and the tool box, then routed the power wire in and the negative back out and up to the battery.

Current to do list:
Pick up/bolt in starter
buy U joints/instal driveshafts
Mount and connect shifter
Mount electric fan and connect wiring.
Mount coil
connect ignition box to coil/distributor
Buy a fuel cell or boat gas tank
Mount fuel tank and fuel pump then route fuel line
connect and bleed brakes
measure and buy a belt
buy/instal radiator hoses
new spark plugs/wires
new oil filter/add oil
fill transmission with fluid
check/re pack front axle bearings and hubs

test/tune and hope for the best.

really sounds like a lot but it just little tinkering stuff and buying a lot of little stuff that will add up quick.

Bout to start pricing things I need locally and online and figure out what I am buying from where.

Old 06-25-2017, 01:15 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
So plugged the compressor site glass and added a questionable amount of oil yesterday, which allowed me to spray. Marty and Dustin from the club came out, and a friend, John, as well. We were able to get the cab wetsanded and wiped down, along with the fenders the doors and the cab.

Got the first coat on the cab, and it looked great. However it started raining though, and the humidity in the air I think killed the second coat, orange peel on everything. So we stopped, pretty defeated about 8 or so I think.

However, everyone absolutely agreed. The burgers we grilled out for lunch were some of the best! Man I'm ready for another one of those!

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread