1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Nice! But I don't think real Custom Cabs had pink fuzzy seats! LOL!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
Yep, it's an addiction!
You went all fancy on your seat. I just grabbed a drop cloth and covered mine when I had it. No padding at all.
I would be interested to hear oil suggestions as well. I wouldn't be surprised if it was all over the map though.
I've never heard of Archer Aircraft Oil, but it does have a cool can.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:42 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Dropped the pan today to clean out the gunk. I found something that I need help identifying. It is a round tube, slightly bent and about 3" long. Probably the first time the pan has ever been off. Since I have never taken apart a 239 I have no idea what it is. At first I thought it was maybe a pick-up tube, but when I removed the screen it was obvious that it did not come from that. Also the screen was completely plugged with gunk. I plan on rebuilding the engine in the near future but thought I would clean it up in the mean time. Boy was I in for a surprise.

So a couple of guys (Thanks Dennis and Joe) helped me identify the tube. It is the drain back tube from the road draft tube canister filter. That must explain why oil has always leaked out the draft tube. I already had the pan back on and oil added so I will be putting the tube back in tomorrow. When I started the Truck after cleaning the pan and screen the Oil Pressure went to over twice of what it was to begin with. This was a definite positive step forward.

My research of oil types yielded about as many options as comments. I ended up going with Castrol 10W-30 and a Zinc additive. Not really a big deal since I plan to rebuild the engine sometime down the road. It sure seemed to run better after I changed it. When I gave it a little gas the pressure accually went up to 80 psi. When it drys up I'll take it for a little spin and see what it does.

For future reference - https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...entifying.html

Old 09-13-2016, 09:51 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 764 Likes on 374 Posts
I changed my oil after it had been in there a couple of years with only a handful of miles and it seemed to really help.

Get that rain moved on. I will be up on Saturday. I will start the morning at Pioneers Park for the cross country meet then go to the game. We aren't sure if we will stay in town Saturday or at least start back. Hotels are double the normal price on game days. Just normal trip to Lincoln for us, a whirlwind. Since Sam has homecoming friday evening, we will probably only get to Platte city or St. Joe Friday and get up at the crack of dawn to make it to the meet Saturday morning.

Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Got a couple of things accomplished today. First I wanted to get the drain back tube from the road draft tube canister filter welded back on. Evidently it was installed before it was attached at the factory. My welder guy had to insert the base plate in the cartridge body before he welded it. Otherwise I would not have been able to insert it in the hole. It's great to know talented people! I also stopped at a local shop that had advertised Ford 53 - 55 parts for sale. Got a good deal on a driver side widow as mine was cracked in a million places. 10 Bucks can't go wrong with that. I also fittle-farted with the dang window handle. WHAT A PAIN IN THE $%&*! Finally got it. Not sure what I am doing, but will do a little research here on FTE and I will get through this!!!!!

Last edited by df85732; 09-14-2016 at 07:35 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 PM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Any updates this week, you do have a following to keep informed. Lol

Old 10-17-2016, 08:54 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SumDayDryvr
Any updates this week, you do have a following to keep informed. Lol
Thanks for calling me out SumDayDryvr! I've been kind of lazy posting as I am kind of at a slow down period. $$$$$ I did install a new Gas Tank that I got from MACS. I was a little disappointed in the quality of it. The filler tube was bent so I had to straighten it out. The pick up tube was already rusting. I'm sure it was not made in the USA. Also, flushed the cooling system. Found a good method online where you remove the thermostat, remove the upper and lower radiator hoses at radiator, insert a garden hose in the lower hose, put a rag around it, and turn water on. Ran water for 5 minutes, started coming out the upper hose until totally clear. I flushed the radiator and the heater lines prior to do this. Boy were they dirty. I have taken the truck on a few short runs (2-3 miles). The Temp gauge goes up to the third mark and I get worried that I am going to over heat. I still have oil dripping from the draft tube and many other spots. My plan is to rebuild it next year but want to enjoy a few rides before I make that move. I did order some tail lights from Midfifty. More on that later! I promise!

Damage from MAC's

Rust already forming on the inside.

This is not the correct way to hook it up. Had to switch the wires to make it work properly. Daaahh!

Just for fun. Saw this at a Craft Show that my wife drug me too!

Last edited by df85732; 10-17-2016 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 10-18-2016, 07:31 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Thanks for the update. That is too bad about the fuel tank damage but is good to know maybe we will need to look at the plastic tank instead. And that is a waste of a good tailgate since they are so hard to come by a good one. Always good to see what we have to work towards.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:24 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Fall Ride

With harvest in full swing I thought I would go for a short ride today. I put the Hood back so she would look good for a couple of pictures plus it just looks so much better with the "big front" look. All good till I got to the bottom of the hill and it died on me. For some reason it would not restart and I drained the battery trying to restart it. Luckily my neighbor was home and able to pull me back up the hill. So, as my dad did many times, I let it roll back down the hill, popped the clutch and I was off. Still only driving a couple of miles at a time because the "tired" engine. It has never been rebuild, it is covered with oil, blows smoke, and is leaking a lot. I think I will be biting the bullet this winter and pull the engine. As much as I would like to drive it, I think this is in my best interest.

Old 10-26-2016, 07:50 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Good for you! You got the hood on nice and even. We can't get my 54 hood even with the right front fender. Did you have help lifting the hood on?

Hope you find a good rebuilds for your engine.

What's the story with that patch on your cowl where your mirror is attached?

Old 10-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts
Nice job, coming along nicely. I wonder if your Gramps or Dad had switched over to detergent oil back in the day? By the looks of the inside of your engine maybe not. The new oil you have put in may start to clean all that gunk. I remember my Dad talking about people changing to the new fangled detergent oil and start burning oil, etc because all that gunk was what made the rings seal better....

Old 10-31-2016, 10:06 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Good to see it out in the light of day on it's own power. Enjoy it now.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:16 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Set up some temporary tail lights today. Ended up buying all new since it would have cost just about as much as repairing the old ones. The lenses were both broke, gaskets gone, the lamp sockets were all corroded, and the pigtails bare. I will keep the old tail light bodies just in case. Of course they are the original so if I ever have some spare time I might clean them up. Now I am officially road ready. That is unless the law requires the wheels have a cover over them. It's one of the deals were I'll just plead ignorance if stopped!!!!! So far I've driven on the local gravel roads 2-3 miles at a time. Tomorrow I hit the Black Top!

Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by abe
Did you have help lifting the hood on?
What's the story with that patch on your cowl where your mirror is attached?
I put the hood on myself Abe. I am a big guy plus I'm not to worried because I have lots of Body work to do down the road. I will definitely be more careful when it gets painted.

As far as the patch were the mirror is mounted.......it has always been there. It is either an after market add on or something my Grandpa came up with. The patch just re-enforces the mirror. Not sure if I will keep it or try to get mirrors like you have on your truck. I will try to get a better picture for a future post.

Thanks again for sending the Upper Radiator pipe!

Old 11-04-2016, 08:53 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by df85732
I put the hood on myself Abe. I am a big guy plus I'm not to worried because I have lots of Body work to do down the road. I will definitely be more careful when it gets painted.

As far as the patch were the mirror is mounted.......it has always been there. It is either an after market add on or something my Grandpa came up with. The patch just re-enforces the mirror. Not sure if I will keep it or try to get mirrors like you have on your truck. I will try to get a better picture for a future post.

Thanks again for sending the Upper Radiator pipe!
No problem! I hope you like it.

Quick Reply: Grandpa's 55' F350 restore