1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 08:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by df85732
Yes Abe I did mean striker plate. Thanks for correcting me. Also, thanks for the ebay link. After my Son left I got to thinking about how I was going to put it on. I guess I got the horse in front of the cart😱 Luckily he only lives 20 miles away. Might have to bribe him to come out again with some homegrown Nebraska Beef. LOL I will evaluate it a little closer tomorrow. He is getting Married in October. It is my goal to use my truck as a prop. I haven't told the bride yet though😂
If the striker plates on eBay sell before you buy them, I can sell you some NOS striker plates but I wanted to keep them as extras of my two trucks. You certainly don't want shiny bright chrome striker plates like you buy at MidFifty on your truck after you put in that Dark Side seat !!! LOL

Those doors are heavy, aren't they? The first time I had my truck painted, it was finished in late July 1999. Soccer preseason started in mid August. So with games and practices I didn't get the weather stripping on until December. I took them off myself and carried them into my basement workshop, through 3 doors and down the basement steps. But I was a lot younger than!

In 2016 my paint guy said I should just cut the rubber and put it on with the doors on. I cut the one rubber and contemplated it but it would have been very difficult getting the weatherstripping on around the hinges. So I took them off but since it was spring I could do it in the garage. With my 55 this spring, he had a helper working for him and I told him the weatherstripping must be put on with the doors off so that's how they did it.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
If the striker plates on eBay sell before you buy them, I can sell you some NOS striker plates but I wanted to keep them as extras of my two trucks. You certainly don't want shiny bright chrome striker plates like you buy at MidFifty on your truck after you put in that Dark Side seat !!! LOL
This statement did it for me Abe. I ordered them Thank you for the offer but I would have felt bad taking yours. That would be like taking another Mans dog. LOL

Old 07-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
That's a dangerous game letting your boy sit in the drivers seat. Before long in conversations about the truck he will start throwing in phrases like "My truck". The he will want to borrow it for something. He will only need it for a little while, then the next time will be longer and so forth. Just be careful out there.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:50 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Started on the front clip today. Fit great and everything lined up well. Since I knew the truck was never involved in a collision and with no modifications I was hoping it would be this easy. I did have to purchase all new bolts because the old ones were rusted beyond reusing. I also am putting the 3M product below between all the metal to metal surfaces. The original had something similar to this and I would highly recommend it. I have run out of body parts to install so I called my paint guy. He started off with a bang and has slowly slowed down at finishing my stuff. He still has the hood, fenders, and grill parts. I do have a lot of little things to do but am getting excited to get it back together so I can drive it. My goal is August 19th. There is a Car show about 8 miles from my house and that would be a good "test" for me and the ole girl!

Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Looking good, Dave! Hope you make your August 19 deadline! And then you'll be ready to drive to the Central PA Mountain Truckstock!

I'll tell you the same thing I told Tom, Pinecone Ford, .... tell your painter to get moving! Good luck.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 765 Likes on 375 Posts
Looking good!

Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
I shared a Thread earlier today called Flatbed $100 CL You might have already seen it but I wanted here on my build thread. I resigned to the fact that it is going to be awhile before I get my 9' express box completed, so on a whim, I decided to make the truck a flatbed. Half a day labor and 100 bucks in supplies I made this. I like wood working so this was no problem. I have been harassed about not using my truck after it is done, because it will be to pretty. I just want to put that to rest I have to admit though, that when I see guys using your trucks I'm a little jealous. Actually I have an alter motive. I wish to drive it and possible take it to a show this fall. Hopefully I get the rest of front metal soon so I can finish the front end. Anyway back to the bed. 4- 4x4 cross members, 10- 2x8, 4 bolts, and a bunch of screws. Easy Peasy!

Here is a bonus picture not on the other Thread.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

That looks great Dave! You work fast. I couldn't tell it was your truck until I saw the long running boards.

So you think your bed will take a lot of work and therefore a lot of time? Then this is a quick way to get your truck on the road. You may want to make a headboard to protect the back of the cab.

Old 07-10-2018, 07:32 AM
SumDayDryvr
Mountain Pass
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Dave the truck is looking great,my favourite colour. The flat bed is a good option to be able to get out and use your truck. I agree with Abe about protecting your paint job with a headache rack and would also include large mud flaps on both sides of the rear wheels.
You don't want your trailer queen all stone chipped. Lol. Get out and enjoy drinking it as soon as possible.

Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by SumDayDryvr
Dave the truck is looking great,my favourite colour. The flat bed is a good option to be able to get out and use your truck. I agree with Abe about protecting your paint job with a headache rack and would also include large mud flaps on both sides of the rear wheels.
You don't want your trailer queen all stone chipped. Lol. Get out and enjoy drinking it as soon as possible.
Thanks Rick! Maybe I'll get some of those "BACK OFF" mud flap! I'm sure I'll be holding a few people up!

Got my striker plates in the mail today! Thanks Abe! Notice a difference?
Old on the left. New on the right. Got to love the NOS boxes!

Old 07-10-2018, 12:49 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

For a moment there I thought you got ripped off by the seller slipping in a used one! But those are your old ones on the left? Yes, big difference. Is that what you mean?

Old 07-12-2018, 04:10 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
Hung the doors (again) today. Had them in once, then realized it would be best to put the weatherstrip on first. (Abe's suggestion also) I used the new Hollow weatherstripping based on the suggestion from Mid Fifty. I cleaned up door handles, working mechanisms, and installed them along with the new striker plate locks. I had to mess with the hinge adjustment bolts a little bid to get the doors to latch but I got them to work. It has been a long, long time since they have worked correctly without slamming the doors multiple times. The doors do stick out so very, very little but I am going to readjust them as the rubber hopefully will relax a little bit over time. With the doors secure, I decided to take it for a little longer cruise today. I noticed on my last windowless drive, my speedometer was not working. I need to check into that. It is a brand new cable. Since you guys had been talking about a speedometer App on another thread I decided to download one to my phone for this trip. Below is the following results. 8.04 miles and Max Speed 58 MPH. I felt good about that considering I wasn't really "pushing" it. Truck has the 5.14 rear end. Temp gauge went just above the 3/4 line which I think is normal. Outdoor temp was 95 degrees. Now I need to get that darn Air Conditioner (Cowl vent) in If you have any ideas or suggestions concerning the speedo cable please let me know. Thanks, Dave

Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 AM
Hotrod350
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave, I am starting to go through your thread and I'm finding out that you are running into a lot of the same problems I am. Your truck looks great now, I hope I can do mine justice.

Looking at your rear wheels the hubs, drums, and axles look to be the exact same as mine, but mine is a DRW not the single and your front hubs don't have the 40lb attachment

Old 07-22-2018, 01:45 PM
df85732
Fleet Mechanic
My paint guy contacted me yesterday and said he was done with the rest of my front body panels.. He delivered them this morning . While he was here I had him help me with mounting the hood. It looks so much better than I ever dreamed of when I started this project. Also, over the last few days I have been cleaning/painting various parts for the mirrors and grill. This will keep me out of trouble for a few days

Old 07-22-2018, 02:24 PM
53 tonner
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
That looks great! Interesting how your flatbed even serves as a good place to store the shiny fresh painted parts.

Grant

Quick Reply: Grandpa's 55' F350 restore