1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

blinker help 60 f-100

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 09:51 AM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy blinker help 60 f-100

ok, so i got my 60 f-100's headlights, brake lights and parking lights working now. My only problem is that the blinkers do not work. I am pretty sure that the blinker switch is working properly, because when i have the brakes depressed and turn the left blinker on the brake light turns off, and the same thing happens with the right side. I have tried to replace the flasher relay, and it still doesnt work. I have verified that the orange wire to the relay has 12 v and i also have run a jumper between the 2 wires (orange and light blue) that plug into the relay. When i do that, the light will turn on and off (as if the blinker is working), as i touch the 2 wires together. I do not have the factory relay, and my understanding is that the relay is connected to the firewall. What im trying to figure out is if the relay is what would now be a 3 wire flasher relay instead of a 2 wire flasher relay which is in the truck now. I am thinking that the relay may need to be grounded, like the factory relay (connection to firewall could act as a ground). Does anyone know of a relay that will work in the 60? or know if I can retro fit a 3 or 2 wire relay. I have also tried to replace the 2 wire flasher relay and it doesnt do anything either...Any ideas?

Old 08-06-2003, 08:51 PM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
blinker help 60 f-100

I am useing a 2 wire flasher on my 57 and it works fine. If you prob your test light to the blue side of the flasher it should blink very fast(the test light). Than turn the singal one way and see if it works. You may be useing to heavy or to light of a flasher try a 522 flasher.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:02 AM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country
blinker help 60 f-100

Originally posted by 57_ford
I am useing a 2 wire flasher on my 57 and it works fine. If you prob your test light to the blue side of the flasher it should blink very fast(the test light). Than turn the singal one way and see if it works. You may be useing to heavy or to light of a flasher try a 522 flasher.
thanks for the help...I actually went to buy a "variable load" electronic flasher lastnight instead of a thermal flasher. I got them working. I am having all kinds of intermident connection problems with my tail lights. The fuse box and the wiring going to the fuse box, is all messed up . I can turn on the lights, and they will work, then move the wiring and the tail lights turn off. I have figured out that the connectors in the fuse box, are messed up and the wiring is so old and coroded that I just need to put new connectors on it, solder all the new connections and start over. I got so frustrated with it lastnight, that I have decided to just remove the fuse box, and do inline fuses. I may also just pull a fuse box from a car at a junk yard and wire everything through that. I havent decided what I want to do exactly, but I know that I do not want the lights to only work sometimes, or the lights to turn off every time I hit a bump. Even thought I am a DarkSider, I still like the whole stock look and I like to keep all of the stock wiring and stock switches. It just looks like i am going to have to remove all of the factory wiring under the dash dealing with the lights and make my own fuse panel.

anyone have a recomendation on an aftermarket fuse panel (no wiring needed) or know where i can buy a fuse panel that i can use? something simple. I dont need a 16 circuit set up. I think a 5 circuit would work, since the only thing the fuse panel seems to run is the lights

Old 08-08-2003, 09:35 PM
57_ford
Elder User
blinker help 60 f-100

I didnt know a 60 had a fuse box my 57 does not and I had a 59 that didn't eather. May be some one added it to yours. All the fuses in these trucks are inline. With new connectors and some new wires you can make it work. But I did see some were some one selling new wire harness for these trucks that plug into the stock stuff. Sorry I cain't remember where.

Old 08-08-2003, 09:42 PM
mr4speedford
Posting Guru
blinker help 60 f-100

60 was the first year for the fuse box. -4speed

Old 08-08-2003, 10:01 PM
57_ford
Elder User
blinker help 60 f-100

Thanks learn some thing new every day.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:34 PM
atticmole
Senior User
blinker help 60 f-100

I had trouble with the lights on my 60, after replacing rear lights (generic external lights on flatbed, needed it anyway) and playing with the wires it turned out to be the fuse contacts on the light switch, and just moving the fuse would return the connection temporarily. A good cleaning and I have had no trouble since. I Pulled A few hairs out before finding that light switch fuse. Specially because I made the mistake of assuming that the problem was in the lights or connections.

Old 08-09-2003, 03:26 AM
laynrubber
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blinker help 60 f-100

This question could be for anyone.....still trying to get the right reply thing down.
Other than 2 fuses on the front of my headlight switch is anything else fused ?
Heater fan or wiper motor ???
In all my crawling around i haven't seen any.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:43 PM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country
blinker help 60 f-100

Originally posted by laynrubber
This question could be for anyone.....still trying to get the right reply thing down.
Other than 2 fuses on the front of my headlight switch is anything else fused ?
Heater fan or wiper motor ???
In all my crawling around i haven't seen any.
Well, I went through on my 60 and removed the fuse box. I went to napa, and bought a 18$ generic fuse block, and went to town. the factory fuse box supply's power to only the lights from what I can tell. There ARE 2 wires that came off the fuse box that I dont know what they go to. They are red and black. Both came off of the same fuse, and I havent figured out what exactly they are for yet. It was getting late lastnight, and I decided to call it quits. I am planning on looking at it today, while i reuild my instrument cluster. All of the cardboard in side is missing so any light inside the guage cluster acts as ilumination, instead of an indicator light (such as blinkers)....If anyone wants to see how I did it, or a wiring diagram as to where each wire went on the switch and fuse block , I have it all documented including pics...

Old 08-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Sixoh
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
blinker help 60 f-100

Sweet, D! Why don't you stick the documentation on your Gallery?

Old 08-10-2003, 08:28 AM
1960 Ford F100
Cross-Country
blinker help 60 f-100

Originally posted by Sixoh
Sweet, D! Why don't you stick the documentation on your Gallery?
Good idea...I think ill do that once i get the pics uploaded on my pc.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
omilner
New User
ground & wiper motor

the 2 old truck that I have had light/blinker problems with both ended up being ground problem.

Does anyone know where I can find a wiper motor for a 1960 F100?

thanks
og

Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by omilner
Does anyone know where I can find a wiper motor for a 1960 F100?

thanks
og
I have one, send me a private message.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:34 AM
omilner
New User
re new user

I am a new user and it wont let me email for 15 days but you can reach me at ogrady at omilner dot com

Old 05-11-2024, 06:08 AM
kevlicht
1st Gear
Please share your pics

Originally Posted by 1960 Ford F100
Well, I went through on my 60 and removed the fuse box. I went to napa, and bought a 18$ generic fuse block, and went to town. the factory fuse box supply's power to only the lights from what I can tell. There ARE 2 wires that came off the fuse box that I dont know what they go to. They are red and black. Both came off of the same fuse, and I havent figured out what exactly they are for yet. It was getting late lastnight, and I decided to call it quits. I am planning on looking at it today, while i reuild my instrument cluster. All of the cardboard in side is missing so any light inside the guage cluster acts as ilumination, instead of an indicator light (such as blinkers)....If anyone wants to see how I did it, or a wiring diagram as to where each wire went on the switch and fuse block , I have it all documented including pics...
I recently purchased a 1960 F-100. I too am pulling my hair out try to figure out what is going on with my brake lights and blinkers. Where is this relay you are discussing. I think that might be my problem. Thank you!

Quick Reply: blinker help 60 f-100