oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nick too! LOL

Old 11-13-2015, 09:14 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
I didn't read all the posts , I suspect I am not real popular right now . But I will start out with an apology to Glenn . ( I don't expect you to accept it )

Next , I can't see how 43 degrees of water temp can contribute to melted pistons when the temps in the exhaust are so temporary . Considering exhaust gasses are only pertinent 50% percent of the piston stroke, how fast does the gauge respond to the temps .
Keeping the engine hot enough to remove moisture is a very important factor, along with increased mileage

I am still interested in hearing from someone that melted their motors due to EGT's

Most that are running chips are using open air filters & open exhaust. Big sticks with a larger turbo may be needed but have not been an issue for me .

Just for the record I know Glenn is a good guy . We butted heads a few times but he didn't deserve me jumping on him .I deserved his Ire . Sorry Glenn

I have been here since 06 & IIRC only asked for help one time ( for a friend ) with a lack of power issue ( A map question ), almost no one responded . Before my friend Bill died ( Madvan ) . He left me with a crap load of info most of us would never figure out . I'm just passing it on as needed . Let me have it if you feel so inclined I can take it . I only come here to help . I can just as easily stay away .

Old 11-13-2015, 11:39 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Action4478
Remember this ?
yea. That was pretty funny.

So I may as well toss in my .02 on the Tstat. I find that on long pulls with the 203 my eot will regularly hit 235*. I've seen it hit 240 in the heat of summer. I can't tell you what the coolant temp is though, all I can say is the gauge never goes past the m. My next thermostat will be a 195. For my uses I think the 180 is to low.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:12 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
It's good of you to apologize Rick. I realize you have a wide knowledge base. When I was younger and being an arrogant little SOB about what I knew about riding and training a horse, my grandpa said something to me that changed my life. He said, "who cares how much you know when your an azzhole about it"....stuck with me ever since. How we treat people is paramount, not how much we know or don't know. I say this from a position of humility because I am guilty of it too, but trying like heck to change it. Thanks for listening. Again, your knowledge is appreciated.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:31 AM
finallyo3gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now if I could just get my torque pro app to communicate, I might know my engine oil temps....

Old 11-14-2015, 08:36 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Originally Posted by finallyo3gt
Now if I could just get my torque pro app to communicate, I might know my engine oil temps....
And those are important!

Old 11-14-2015, 08:45 AM
finallyo3gt
Senior User
stupid OBD port...

Old 11-14-2015, 09:26 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
my grandpa said something to me that changed my life. He said, "who cares how much you know when your an azzhole about it"....stuck with me ever since. How we treat people is paramount, not how much we know or don't know. .
Your Grandpa was a wise man, Byron. Words to live by.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:22 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
yea. That was pretty funny.

So I may as well toss in my .02 on the Tstat. I find that on long pulls with the 203 my eot will regularly hit 235*. I've seen it hit 240 in the heat of summer. I can't tell you what the coolant temp is though, all I can say is the gauge never goes past the m. My next thermostat will be a 195. For my uses I think the 180 is to low.
This is my point

Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Bill (MadVan) was a sweatheart. Very, very intelligent and helpful.
that's the attitude this forum needs. It's also the attitude people like to see. It's probably the reason I've heard that name on multiple occasions from different users. Rick I don't want to sound harsh or arrogant, but I will ask you this, he gave you a wealth of information on these trucks. How would he like to see it put to use? Sad really. Years of info that most people disregard because of an attitude

Old 11-16-2015, 07:09 AM
Vertrees
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No doubt we are here for information, and realistically everyone here has great information. Not everyone learns the same way. Some of us need to fail to see the mistakes while others do not.

This whole argument is nothing more than an ego boost. Its a pissing match between right and wrong. Just because you present right information in the wrong manner does not make you right, as well as the other way around. You must have a fair balance between the two.

All of you have been most valuable in my learning experiences. Brad, your ability to do body work impressing the hell out me, but I would not assume to just ask you about it because you are not as approachable as others.

Humility is key in life. This forum to me, and I believe I speak for the majority of people here, is that this place is a community. While knowledge is power, it is not a right away to be an jerk. Power is responsibility, and the responsibility of the person who has the power is to better themselves to better serve the people.

If it is presented any other way it is no longer a group effort but a dictatorship. I have such admiration for this group. Lets not ruin a good thing. No need to stoop to the chevy guy's level lol

Old 11-16-2015, 07:15 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Agreed Vertrees....but as I am finding out, you can't reason with big egos. I'm out. Unsubscribed and ignore list added to. So tired of the drama.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:01 AM
finallyo3gt
Senior User
Well, I use the heck out of the search feature. It I stumbled on this thread, I would have stopped reading about page 3. Too bad, because there is good information here. I hesitated to comment because I didn't want to alienate myself from anyone or preclude myself from any information in the future. If I may make a suggestion.....
Let's keep the pissing matches and bickering in the PM boxes. Everyone here has agreed, we are here for information. But we now have a thread that is about 1/2 great info (albeit different opinions, facts, and experience), and half people acting like butts and scolding each other. I once heard it said, "You should not argue with and idiot, lest someone see you and confuse the two".

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Reading this reminded me of other forums i've been in and ill tell yall, when this sort of thing happens is sad, were here to instruct our selfs with knowledge and wisdom from other members and clockwise. Some just can't take what others have to say, and the best they can do is backfire with arrogant replies instead of just eating it and not reply back even if your right or wrong, some of us have life experience with our trucks, we all live in different parts of the country meaning that all trucks perform differently with different t-stats. The reason I like this forum because it's not filled with a-holes, like the other forums ive been that think that just because they read a book on trucks they think they know everything.
"Experience counts more than what a text book offers" just remember that.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:05 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by z31freakify
"Experience counts more than what a text book offers" just remember that.

That is why I went to the motor swap on glen's trucks...

There was collectively more information in that garage, through both hands on experience and text book knowledge, than I will ever be able comprehend...

Not to mention the absolutley great people I got to meet!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Real world EGT's ??