Not sure where to go from here-- water leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Not sure where to go from here-- water leak

Looking for bit of advise from more experienced campers here......

Wife and I were making the bed in the trailer since we had taken everything in and washed at once we were done for the season. I found one corner of the sheet wet, found water laying on the top of the nightstand on the left side. Cleaned up water and took the sheet in the house to dry. We've had some nasty storms both before and during some of our recent trips and I've never noticed anything before, can't feel anything wet in the cabinet over the bed, or down between the bed and nose cap. We have left a paper towel there to see if anything continues.

I got on the ladder and took a look around that corner, found 2 spots that I didn't love the caulk so I redid it. I walked the roof and looked at everything and all looked good about a month ago, still all looks good around that corner and front cap.

Could it be condensation? That nightstand top isn't totally flat, has a depression where the water was. The temperature has been really up and down here lately. Or do I call the dealer and drag it up there? It's a 2015 and still in warranty............

Found something loose and poking up under the slide roof, but was hoping to not have to take it to the dealer before January so I can get it inspected too

Old 11-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Scott - water more then a light film of condensation inside of a camper is a major cause for concern especially since you found a wet sheet and a puddle on a table. Unfortunately where there is a water drip is often nowhere near where the actual leak is admitting it. A '15 trailer should still be under warranty but I would still look along that front cap seam, top and sides, to trailer body as well as the corners of the slide as your dealer will probably only get to it after several more rains. A forinstance, our bedroom slide had a leak at the bottom channel where Keystone just didn't use enough silicone. I cleaned it off and reapplied some fresh and 14 months later no new leak. I did use incorrect silicone - regular household stuff, being the only available that day when it should have been an aquarium/water immersion type so I'll need to redo it soon as it's starting to peel off.

Most roof seam sealing is done with Dicor self leveling sealant not silicone which as I noted, will peel. Then there is EternaBond tape.......and something the failing top sealing tape of all four of our 5ers slides will be replaced with in the spring.

Dang but these RV's of ours are FUN!!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most of the people that work at our closest RV center say that they themselves would never own one. The quality control at most of the manufacturers is below par.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:34 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,098 Likes on 998 Posts
I would never mess around with a water leak on a still-under warranty RV. Get it in and documented ! Even if they do NOT find the leak the first time, you have documented proof you had a leak!

Old 11-05-2015, 03:15 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BPofMD
I would never mess around with a water leak on a still-under warranty RV. Get it in and documented ! Even if they do NOT find the leak the first time, you have documented proof you had a leak!
Agree 100%.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Front cap seam is always the first to fail and no, I don't think there is a chance it is condensation. If you open those cabinets over the bed and next to the bed and look at the ceiling line, anything there. To be on the nightstand, it had to drip down there from some place. I pulled you model up on the internet and nothing looks out of the ordinary in terms of design features.

Normally I am will to bet front seam no matter how good it looks, but the side windows are also in play.

Steve

Old 11-05-2015, 04:50 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 69cj
Most of the people that work at our closest RV center say that they themselves would never own one. The quality control at most of the manufacturers is below par.
That comes from the frustration of working on things that were never designed to be worked on. I stopped by one of my large dealers today and they were about to change manufacturers again. Fit and finish so bad they can not keep them out of the service bays (dealers hate warranty work).

Steve

Old 11-05-2015, 06:01 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
You could put the water hose up there to see if you can determine a leak.

Picture of the water and where you find it I think is important.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
I will drag the hose out this weekend and spray it down to see what I can see, just for my own knowledge. We bought it in March so it is still in it's 1st year warranty. I did add the second year though FR to be safe. Dealer has been good so far, guess I will call them tomorrow and see about getting it in. I don't need it til the week of Christmas so they can have some time to screw with it.

The sheets were not on the bed wet until I put it in the puddle. Mattress was dry.

Thanks guys

Old 11-08-2015, 03:42 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
It might take some time and a lot of water to find the issue. Good luck

Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Goes to dealer December 8. I will monitor it til then. Thanks for the advise guys. Was hoping they could get it in sooner, as we leave for Florida with it December 26.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Hey man,

We're headed to Florida the same day. Will be in Fort Meyers by New Years Eve.

Steve

Old 11-08-2015, 06:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Florida over the new year...hmmm not a bad plan.

I have been tasked with a trip so maybe that is the ticket.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:55 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by senix
Florida over the new year...hmmm not a bad plan.

I have been tasked with a trip so maybe that is the ticket.
Man, I know you know this, but given the size of what you are dragging behind, make reservations pronto, if you have Florida in your sights!

Steve

Old 11-08-2015, 06:57 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Wink

Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Man, I know you know this, but given the size of what you are dragging behind, make reservations pronto, if you have Florida in your sights!

Steve

Yeah,
Hadn't even thought of it till about an hour ago.

Quick Reply: Not sure where to go from here-- water leak