1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 02:59 PM
jawdoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jawdoc
Ok here goes...
1license plate lights work(one was blown,now replaced)
2 separate side marker lights work(one was missing the other was blown now both replaced and working)
3 single rear wheels
4 yes it has a rear parking aid which hasn't worked in 2 years
5 standard box with a cap. The light in the cap also stopped working.
I have not done any continuity testing. I have traced wiring looking for broken ones, visual inspection of bulbs which all look fine and checked all fuses.
Ok went out to check continuity and the side marker lights Dont work. They were fine 15 min ago.
Is there some relay the could be going bad? Fuse 22 in cabin fuse block is fine. No power to side or rear lights when switch turned on.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:09 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
I won't be able to further dig into this until later, probably this evening, my apologies for the delay.

If F22 were blown, NONE of the prating/running/marker/license plate lights would work. Scratch that.

standard box with a cap. The light in the cap also stopped working.
I can only assume (there's yet another vague piece of information) that you're referring to a high-mount stop lamp in the aftermarket cap. If so, it's irrelevant to the tail lamp issue. If your cap also has running lamps, then it's important as they are likely spliced into the vehicles running and marker lamp circuit. If this is the case, that would be the first thing I'd check for corrosion or other damage.

The factory schematics for this truck were either done by someone whose work was not double checked or parts of the wiring design were done by someone with schizophrenia. There are several illogical connections shown and they don't have a diagram for a standard bed with single rear wheels.... Sigh...

As near as I can tell, the rear side markers and the rear tail lamps are spliced together in the harness on the inside of the rear bumper just forward of the left side of the license plate. I'd suggest finding the wiring from the left side tail light and markers VIOLET/WHITE wire and open up the harness until you find a multi-wire splice, assuming you didn't have a slice into the running lights from the add-on cap.

The schematic inexplicably shows the license plate lights fed from a splice up on one of the roof marker lights which I'm sure is an error. I'd expect them to be fed from the same splice as the tail and marker lamps, designated as splice S412 or S423 in the diagram.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 PM
jawdoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
I won't be able to further dig into this until later, probably this evening, my apologies for the delay.

If F22 were blown, NONE of the prating/running/marker/license plate lights would work. Scratch that.

I can only assume (there's yet another vague piece of information) that you're referring to a high-mount stop lamp in the aftermarket cap. If so, it's irrelevant to the tail lamp issue. If your cap also has running lamps, then it's important as they are likely spliced into the vehicles running and marker lamp circuit. If this is the case, that would be the first thing I'd check for corrosion or other damage.

The factory schematics for this truck were either done by someone whose work was not double checked or parts of the wiring design were done by someone with schizophrenia. There are several illogical connections shown and they don't have a diagram for a standard bed with single rear wheels.... Sigh...

As near as I can tell, the rear side markers and the rear tail lamps are spliced together in the harness on the inside of the rear bumper just forward of the left side of the license plate. I'd suggest finding the wiring from the left side tail light and markers VIOLET/WHITE wire and open up the harness until you find a multi-wire splice, assuming you didn't have a slice into the running lights from the add-on cap.

The schematic inexplicably shows the license plate lights fed from a splice up on one of the roof marker lights which I'm sure is an error. I'd expect them to be fed from the same splice as the tail and marker lamps, designated as splice S412 or S423 in the diagram.
Figured it out!!! The plug connects front harness with tail light harness had two burned out terminals. One of the had the VIOLET/WHITE wire you mentioned. The other is a yellow wire which was connected to the third brake light on the cap. Normally what does that yellow wire attach to?
My side mirror lights still don't work.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:44 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 876 Likes on 728 Posts
My side mirror lights still don't work.
Post #18 and you're just now bring that up?

You're on your own, I give up.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:17 PM
jawdoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Post #18 and you're just now bring that up?

You're on your own, I give up.
actually it was mentioned in 14 and 16 as well.
I really appreciate your help despite your condescending attitude!!