General Automotive Discussion

new toy! '68 big block t-bird

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Wow that trunk came out nice from what I can see...

Nothing like those big old trunks that you could hide a body in...

Old 09-22-2018, 08:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks.Oh yeah,I got right in there to lay the soundproofing and the felt in the upper section.You can lay down and take a nap in this thing lol.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Just make sure you leave the trunk open..

They didn't have those safety features they have now to open it from the inside... LOL

Old 09-23-2018, 08:36 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Goodbye 2.80's!

That's air hose for the rear air shocks.I guess that's how they decided to handle the extra length lol.I'll clean them up latter.Maybe even before putting the tires back on.

Here she comes!

Your not having fun until you get some bloody knuckles.Thems' been the rules for years now.

I have to change flange type.It's never simple.

Well she's not going back together without a new seal.

I didn't realize I didn't have any ultra black RTV so I had to run again for some,this set me back until dark but the Pat's don't play until tonight so I might as well keep on cruising.She's in and there goes the axles back in.

I had to run back out during the game to snug up my bolts after letting the RTV set for an hour.

She's ready for some lube and tires again.No fill plug on this center that came from a pickup.I'll have to look up exact capacity for the diff and fill through the vent.Oh joy.
Update:
My shop manual calls for 5 pints (2.5 quarts) and I just slid an axle back out, let one side of the car down and poured the lube down the tube.
Well I bet this car is going to feel alive on take off now.I'll have to make sure I torque down them seat belt bolts putting her interior back together.

Let's go Patriots!
First half,not looking so good.

Oh before starting in on the gear change,I took out the upper,passenger side,rear seat and tweaked it so it's no longer warped.It was bugging me with a gap behind it.It bent back where it belongs very easily and looks so much nicer and cleaner.
Then I finally got around to buying a hole saw and drilled out a hole in my trunks wire cover for the lock.Now I'll put a rubber grommet in it and it will finish it back up cleanly.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:45 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Hey,that worked out just as I figured it would.

Just added a grommet around the hole I cut out for the trunk latch is all.
Brighter daytime pic you can see better.Can see my little custom built relay cover over there too.Cleaned her right up pretty good.Put the lenses and the trim all back together.Decided to leave the lenses alone and left the lock to trap them in.I figured how often will I be in there? It's tight,it's not insanely difficult to remove the trunk lock anyway.

No welder still this week.
I so badly want to put this thing together so I can go test out those 3.25's! Maybe I'll just have to toss the seat in for the weekend.
Though I prefer a bench seat and glad it has it,kinda wishing it came with buckets right now lol.

Side note.Since I took the cam out.Working on my auto crane right now.She has a bad turn gog wheel,the spinner piece that drives it and a bad winch motor.Yes.It's as expensive as it sounds.Over a grand in parts.

With all the man hours this sucker has saved me for a few years now,I can't even cry too hard lol.

Old 11-06-2018, 04:34 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Well,I hate to leave anyone who's been following this thread hanging so I'll update.It appears I've been stood up.Placed on the welders list only in words apparently but not literally.Don't ya love it?! So the cars' just been sitting waiting.
Meanwhile,I could have taken my cam out at night and taken a video of the lights.I should still do this.Was going to show the whole thing together,freshened up interior along with the sequential turns.
As for the sides notes; The retirement fund has been maxed out again for the year,so playing with the t-bird hasn't distracted me from what's most important and that autocrane is running perfect again after a new winch motor,which burnt out one of the relays so replaced along with the turn wheel gog and driver mechanism.She's been working perfect again.Man,having that down for a month or so sucks when your used to having it to save the back.Saves so much cutting and grunting heavy wood.

So anyway,I haven't checked out the 2.80 to 3.25 gear swap or anything and at this point,it's time to put the car up anyway as snow will be here soon.So who knows.I'll have to see about finding someone else to repair my floor I guess so I can get the interior back together.I hate trying to rely on people for anything.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:18 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Hoping for future updates