1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

New owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Edds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner

Hey guys! Father and I just bought a 54 F100 and are going to restore it slowly. I've been searching around to find which Ford bench seats fit the 54. I never find the answer I'm looking for. So question is , which Ford bench seats fit the 54 without any modifications? Right now she has bucket seats from a Cadillac and they aren't the best especially since the driver seat is off to the left. Thanks guys.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:33 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
You are likely going to have to drill a few holes for the mounts but there are a lot of truck bench seats that will fit pretty well. I think the best way is put a tape measure to your seat and then head to the salvage yard. You will want to stay close to factory measurements or your leg room will be compromised. The height is important of course. Too tall and your head is in the roof or the seat back showing through the window. Check the thickness of the seat back as well. I bought one that was several inches thicker and it was a problem for leg room. I ended up having the factory seat reupholstered which wasn't cheap of course. That doesn't have to happen though. There are seats that will work. I've seen guys install Ford and Chevy truck seats with good results. .

Old 11-02-2015, 04:40 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
You are likely going to have to drill a few holes for the mounts but there are a lot of truck bench seats that will fit pretty well. I think the best way is put a tape measure to your seat and then head to the salvage yard. You will want to stay close to factory measurements or your leg room will be compromised. The height is important of course. Too tall and your head is in the roof or the seat back showing through the window. Check the thickness of the seat back as well. I bought one that was several inches thicker and it was a problem for leg room. I ended up having the factory seat reupholstered which wasn't cheap of course. That doesn't have to happen though. There are seats that will work. I've seen guys install Ford and Chevy truck seats with good results. .
Thanks for the info , do 70s Ford bench seat fit nicely or will it mess with the leg room ? The junkyards here mostly have from 72 and up , there is no classic car junkyard which really sucks

Old 11-02-2015, 04:41 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I can't help you with the bench seat since I have the original seat in my 54.

But in want to welcome you to FTE the best Ford truck forum on the World Wide Web! This is the best place to get answers to your questions. I am sure someone will be along later with your definite answer.

And, and ,and we need to see pictures of your 54 or there will be no help at all.
PS: where are you from? Put your location in the upper right hand corner.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:09 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
I can't help you with the bench seat since I have the original seat in my 54.

But in want to welcome you to FTE the best Ford truck forum on the World Wide Web! This is the best place to get answers to your questions. I am sure someone will be along later with your definite answer.

And, and ,and we need to see pictures of your 54 or there will be no help at all.
PS: where are you from? Put your location in the upper right hand corner.
Thanks man! Yeah I've use the app to get info on my 96 bronco, helps a lot. I thought I put my location already but if anything I'm located in San Diego, California and I'll see if I can post a picture of the truck 👍

Old 11-02-2015, 07:05 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,451 Likes on 1,398 Posts
The cabs on later model trucks are wider than our early, fat fendered models, so the seats are generally wider than the stock seat as a result. Nothing but the stock, original seat will fit without modification. If your floor has been modified to fit the buckets you have not, it may need to be re-modified to fit the stock seat back in.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Edds
Senior User
Name:  ForumRunner_20151102_172249.png
Views: 1092
Size:  691.1 KB

This is the truck, hopefully it works to post.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
The cabs on later model trucks are wider than our early, fat fendered models, so the seats are generally wider than the stock seat as a result. Nothing but the stock, original seat will fit without modification. If your floor has been modified to fit the buckets you have not, it may need to be re-modified to fit the stock seat back in.
Yeah its been modified and it's hard to find stock seats. Hopefully I can find some soon and hopefully I dont have to do a lot of modifications

Old 11-02-2015, 08:19 PM
jhaas63
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take some pics of it and post it here! Welcome!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Edds
Thanks for the info , do 70s Ford bench seat fit nicely or will it mess with the leg room ? The junkyards here mostly have from 72 and up , there is no classic car junkyard which really sucks
If I remember correctly I tried one. A little wide. I think most any fullsize is generally going to be a little wide as somebody already stated. I think John Niolon from this forum had a fullsize Chevy in his. Can't help but think a Ranger or S-10 might be a good choice.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:14 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome from the northern end of the state. Im sure you and your Father are in for a lot of enjoyment working on your truck.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:36 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
Edds
welcome to FTE. I had a bench seat from a mid 80's Chevy truck that fit perfectly... so look at 80 somethings also...

http://jniolon.classicpickup.com/ben...enchseats.html

I've changed to buckets now and it's sitting lonesome in the shed..

later
John

Old 11-03-2015, 09:25 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by fatfenders
If I remember correctly I tried one. A little wide. I think most any fullsize is generally going to be a little wide as somebody already stated. I think John Niolon from this forum had a fullsize Chevy in his. Can't help but think a Ranger or S-10 might be a good choice.
Hmm okay I'll see if the rangers at the yard have any seats. Thanks!

Old 11-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Edds
Senior User
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Welcome from the northern end of the state. Im sure you and your Father are in for a lot of enjoyment working on your truck.
Thank you! We love this truck a lot, even though my mother doesn't we still enjoy having it

Quick Reply: New owner