Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel filter and tank question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:39 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Fuel filter and tank question

Still working on misc issues with the 7.3. Today, I change the fuel filter. It was full of brown looking muck. It didn't look like it had ever been changed. After cleaning, draining for about an hour, I put in a new one and she fired right up.

According to the previous owner, the truck has set up for almost a year! So, I know why it looked like mud, but what about the fuel tank? I'm sure the filters in the tank are the same , but the truck runs fine. By the way, my fuel gauge won't work either. I'm guessing the sending unit??????

I guess my fuel tank is full of old diesel muck too.

Advice ?

Thanks jed

Old 10-29-2015, 09:41 PM
Zwalters
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like harpoon/hutch time for you...

Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
^X2..

It isn't worth not doing and being out of fuel and stranded on "1/4" a tank of fuel

Old 10-29-2015, 10:02 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Ok. I will have to research this one a while. Might be over my head. Other than the 1/4 tank issue, what else should I look out for?

Also, anything I can pour in tank to help unclog filters a bit while I'm figuring this out ?

Old 10-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
All the hype of the fluid cleaners fixing problems is like waiting on a transmission to slip to change the fluid.. Just watch the filter up front until you get it dropped and keep it over 1/4 and you should be fine..

The hutch is a very simple straight forward deal.. The most aggravating ordeal is dropping the tank.. The only other possible concern is the inline pump.. It has a small screen that's prone to clogging that isn't serviceable but I dissected mine 3 years ago, cleaned the screen and its been all good sailing..

Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
All the hype of the fluid cleaners fixing problems is like waiting on a transmission to slip to change the fluid.. Just watch the filter up front until you get it dropped and keep it over 1/4 and you should be fine..

The hutch is a very simple straight forward deal.. The most aggravating ordeal is dropping the tank.. The only other possible concern is the inline pump.. It has a small screen that's prone to clogging that isn't serviceable but I dissected mine 3 years ago, cleaned the screen and its been all good sailing..
Thanks. I will probably change out the fuel filter in a few hundred miles. I'm hoping all the gunk has settled in bottom of tank. Thanks again

Old 10-30-2015, 02:06 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
It would be absolutely best to drop the tank and physically clean it out. Diesel is prone to bacteria growth and development when it sits for a while, so you probably have all kinds of sludgy gunk in your tank if it has sat there for a year.

Since your pickup foot is sucking fuel from down low in the tank, you will fight slugs of gunk every time your tank level gets low enough for the sloshing to stir it all up again, and that is true even if you use an additive to kill the bacteria... you'll still have the dead bacteria sludge hanging around until it is either pumped out or dumped and cleaned out.

That said, once you have the tank out, the Harpoon and Hutch mods are just a rational and strategic extension of the same R&R effort.

One tip... if you do choose to drop the tank, run it as empty as you think possible before doing so and the job will be much easier.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:51 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Originally Posted by F250_
It would be absolutely best to drop the tank and physically clean it out. Diesel is prone to bacteria growth and development when it sits for a while, so you probably have all kinds of sludgy gunk in your tank if it has sat there for a year.

Since your pickup foot is sucking fuel from down low in the tank, you will fight slugs of gunk every time your tank level gets low enough for the sloshing to stir it all up again, and that is true even if you use an additive to kill the bacteria... you'll still have the dead bacteria sludge hanging around until it is either pumped out or dumped and cleaned out.

That said, once you have the tank out, the Harpoon and Hutch mods are just a rational and strategic extension of the same R&R effort.

One tip... if you do choose to drop the tank, run it as empty as you think possible before doing so and the job will be much easier.
Thanks for to information. I will be dropping the tank when I think I've researched enough to do the job.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:57 AM
jed1894
Senior User
Well, not wanting to jump on this project, I went to the Ford place and got a price...not doing that, then I found a good 7.3 mechanic who will do for $200, but he can't get to it for a couple weeks. However, both told me, after looking at fuel filter bowl, that I had algae in the tank which is why my first fuel filter change looked like chocolate milk. One suggested a diesel fuel additive to kill the algae until I can drop the tank. The other said change the fuel filter often until it can be dropped (keep driving). So, here's my thoughts...... Please tell me....I trust you guys more than them:

1. Some StarBrght Startron diesel additive to try and kill the algae. Opinion on this stuff?
2. Do nothing and check fuel filters weekly until tank dropped.

Thanks Jed

Old 11-01-2015, 01:45 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 811 Likes on 592 Posts
I'd do both. Kill the algae before dropping the tank so the biocide can flow through out the system. Also again after.

Like Pete said dead algae clogs just as well as live algae, so monitor the fuel filter and change if looking bad.

Not familiar with Startron, but most diesel additives do not kill algae, they either raise cetane or prevent gelling or both. Buy one specifically for killing algae.

$200 is a good price for that work, IMHO. Make sure his quote includes all the features you want from the Hutch/Harpoon.

Old 11-01-2015, 02:56 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts
Print out the harpoon/hutch mod so the diesel mechanic knows what to do. If he dosn't own a 7.3 chances are he dosn't know about it.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:02 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jed1894

1. Some StarBrght Startron diesel additive to try and kill the algae. Opinion on this stuff?
I've never tried that brand, but a few years back I had an old Benz diesel with a bad case of the bugs. I used this product with great success: Biobor Jf Diesel Biocide, 4 Oz. BB04EZ01US - iboats.com

Old 11-01-2015, 03:09 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Originally Posted by binuya
I've never tried that brand, but a few years back I had an old Benz diesel with a bad case of the bugs. I used this product with great success: Biobor Jf Diesel Biocide, 4 Oz. BB04EZ01US - iboats.com
Dang.... $11 for 4 oz..... Must be good stuff. I will try what I got first and see how it works.

Old 11-01-2015, 03:12 PM
jed1894
Senior User
Thanks for advice. I live in a heavy farming community and the farmers around use this Startron (that's how I found about it) in their trucks and tractors. Maybe because we only have a napa and they carry the product. We'll see

Old 11-01-2015, 03:26 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
I often feel lazy enough to call up one of my mechanics but it puts the fire back under my butt when they quote me 2-3 of my weekly pay checks

If it were me, I wouldn't feel too bad about killing the algae and driving the hell out of it and changing the filter as needed.. Just remember there is a screen that will eventually cause restrictions in the tank and in the outlet side of the electric pump.. Youll know when its happening because the truck will gradually and slowly loose power

Quick Reply: Fuel filter and tank question