Transit Connect 2010+ Ford Transit Connect

strange glitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 10:12 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George;

Thanks for the info. I find this to be one of the more confounding kind of problems. With 3 or 4 possible causes there is no clear solution. The dealership might keep the truck until eventually the trans locks in place, but nothing has been learned except that I'm not imagining the problem. As the problem is intermittent, a sensor could be replaced and everything might be fine, for a while, and then the trans might one day lock in park, and the vehicle would have to be towed, again.

I would think that the way the dealership would want to deal with the problem would be to check with as many service departments as possible to see if any one else has had this problem and resolved it. If this is the first reported incident then maybe the service department should replace all possible causes and ship them off for some serious diagnostics in order to find out what is going on. It might be the case that I am the only one in the universe with this problem, but this could be an emerging problem that should be resolved before it gives the vehicle a bad name.

I have no idea how my service department will deal with the locked-in-park problem, but I hope it's taken seriously and resolved.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Lost In Transit
Hum.. One things if I recall correctly.. when we first purchase the van.. I recall the salesmen having trouble with it starting.. He went inside and brought the sales manager out to the van. He (the sales manager) pushed a button located high up on the center console 5 or 6 times then pressed the gas pedal 5-6 times.. the van started up afterward. I'm sure theres a correct code/method of doing this. Inform the tech to re-enter the code to see if this helps.
Lastly and so I've been told.. everything is electrical these days often simply disconnecting the battery, waiting 15 min will reset the system.

Old 10-24-2015, 10:07 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by EvanBly
George;

Thanks for the info. I find this to be one of the more confounding kind of problems. With 3 or 4 possible causes there is no clear solution. The dealership might keep the truck until eventually the trans locks in place, but nothing has been learned except that I'm not imagining the problem. As the problem is intermittent, a sensor could be replaced and everything might be fine, for a while, and then the trans might one day lock in park, and the vehicle would have to be towed, again.

I would think that the way the dealership would want to deal with the problem would be to check with as many service departments as possible to see if any one else has had this problem and resolved it. If this is the first reported incident then maybe the service department should replace all possible causes and ship them off for some serious diagnostics in order to find out what is going on. It might be the case that I am the only one in the universe with this problem, but this could be an emerging problem that should be resolved before it gives the vehicle a bad name.

I have no idea how my service department will deal with the locked-in-park problem, but I hope it's taken seriously and resolved.
Good luck. I did give you the manual approach to unlocking the shifter in an emergency. If you are ever caught anywhere with an unresponsive shifter, use the manual approach.

Unlikely the dealer will call other svc departments--they may call their svc resources at Ford for any reports on TC issues. If Ford has issued a TSB on the problem that would be helpful. Your best bet is to do your own research parallel to the dealer's research.

I am guessing it is the solenoid that unlocks the shifter after getting the signal that the TC is running but a possibility exists that it is the etronc signals to the solenoid. Also remember that your engine and trans are the same as what is used in the Escape and Fusion so look for problems with those as well. The trans is a 6f35 but it's not a trans problem; it's in the release solenoid.

Good luck,
George

Old 10-24-2015, 10:34 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
George;

From what you say it seems like the best option for the service department is to change out the solenoid and give the vehicle a run every hour or so to see if that does the trick.

I will be checking out the manual defeat trick and looking up similar problems in other Ford models.

Thanks for the advice.

Evan

Old 10-26-2015, 10:02 AM
EvanBly
Senior User
Well, this is getting messy. I received a call from the service department and was told that my TC was ready. I called my service representative and he told me that they could not duplicate the problem so I am getting the vehicle back without having the problem resolved. I suggested that maybe I should get a rental until the problem was resolved and was told that Ford would not support a rental and, besides, they did not want to have my vehicle just sitting around taking up space. I also asked if there was a manual over-ride on this problem and the service representative was not sure.

Needless to say, I am not happy with this situation. I am going in now to pick up the Connect. This is turning out to be a headache and in my estimation Ford is not handling the situation in a proactive way. If I sound irked it's because I am.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:13 AM
2LostInTransit
Junior User
Evan, Although my issue is not related to Ford.. at least not yet.. I asked and maybe you missed what I said.. Disconnect the Battery for 15 mins and reconnect.. this resets the comp/system.. I actually have to leave the net for a time to correct a few of these problems.. No ETA on if and when I'll return.. I'm getting tired of the crap, thus we may resort to just not doing anything to the van.. But I wouldn't bet on it.

TC Evan.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:36 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
...Needless to say, I am not happy with this situation. I am going in now to pick up the Connect. This is turning out to be a headache and in my estimation Ford is not handling the situation in a proactive way. If I sound irked it's because I am.
I want to alert your regional customer service manager, EvanBly; I know they'd appreciate the opportunity to get this resolved for you. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll get the ball rolling.

Crystal

Old 10-26-2015, 03:58 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Crystal;

Thank you for the PM. I have taken your advice and I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Evan

Old 10-26-2015, 04:35 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
So this morning I went to my Ford service department and spoke with the manager, Lisa. I ran over the story and indicated that I did not want to leave with the truck until the problem had been resolved. Lisa explained that Ford was not willing to supply a rental without repairs being underway and that Ford was not willing to simply dig in without actually having the problem surface while at the service department. I can understand that; but I also understand that me taking the vehicle without resolution was not a viable solution for me--I am in a rural area without cell service, I've had to walk home twice and that's enough for me.

So I left the truck and Lisa provided me with a ride home. So, I'm down but not out, hope springs eternal, behind every cloud there's a silver lining, and so forth--I'm trying to remain up.

In the back of my mind there lurks the thought that the service department could keep this vehicle for weeks, have it work properly, have me take it, and then have it lock up in park. This is not a pleasant thought but a realistic one since I drove the vehicle for 1000 miles before it started acting up. I believe that Ford would be acting honorably under such circumstances, but not correctly. There is a problem and Ford should figure it out before I take delivery, that's my attitude at the moment.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Crystal;

I tried a PM but it is not going through...
Hi Evan,

I sent you a PM with your case information; let me know if you aren't able to see it. Additionally, I recommend editing your public post to remove your personal details.

Crystal

Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Thank you Crystal;

I received a call from the regional service manager who re-iterated what other Ford representatives have been telling me. He says that multiple attempts to create the problem have not fingered the problem. He is giving me one more day and then I am to pick up the truck.

I extended my claims with two added thoughts. First, Ford has expended more time avoiding responsibility than it would have taken to just fix the problem: 2 calls to the Ford emergency number and the subsequent calls to the two companies and dealership, several calls with the dealership service representative and then 2 hours with the dealership representative and the dealership service manager, the time you've taken to deal with my situation, and the time-vehicle-drive it took to drive me home after my last meeting.

A mechanic associate tells me that the possible sources of the problem would probably cost less than $100 to replace and the time to replace those parts would be around an hour. It seems that Ford is willing to spend more time avoiding responsibility than assuming responsibility. That doesn't make economic sense.

The prelude to my conversation with regional service manager noted that the phone call would be recorded for quality control. For the record, during that phone call, I indicated my crisis management plan. If I leave the dealership without having the problem resolved, and iff the vehicle leaves me stuck in park, again, my first phone call will be to the local television station that runs a segment dealing with consumer problems. I will first let the station know the history and I will then keep the station's number in my wallet. I will also pursue radio, newspaper, and on-line interviews.

My second phone call will be to my lawyer.

Those are my risk management plans. I think this case should be bounced to a higher level where policy decisions are made rather than simply repeated.

Crystal. As you can tell, I am using this forum for first draft material. It's not like I'm making a big stink (yet). There are only about 5 active members on this particular thread and one of them is taking a vacation, another one is only rarely in attendance, a 3rd participant is a ford representative and probably not going to comment on Ford policy. All of which means that I am talking to one thread participant and you. I'm trying to be fair with Ford and hoping that somewhere along the line Ford will be fair with me.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Evan: I would suggest taking a few deep breaths and not making this such a big deal. It is a minor problem but a Ford dealer does not have the time to spend countless hours trying to replicate an intermittent problem. A dealer's business model involves finding things for its mechanics to do where they will get paid be a customer or by Ford for warranty work.

Have the dealer return the van to you with the access cover for the shifter removed and show you how to defeat the interlock with a screwdriver or whatever the manual suggests. If the problem occurs again, take careful notes as to what the circumstances are (temperature, humidity, etc.) See if you can figure out what will reproduce the problem. This is NOT a problem that will strand you anywhere if you know the manual unlocking approach. You may even be able to see the solenoid operate when the cover is off and help analyze the problem. (Like tap it if it's not working and if it works then, you have found the problem.)

You will always be able to drive the van with the workaround. Escalating this problem is not going to help you with your dealer if you ever have a *real* problem like a blown up engine or transmission. I have always done well with service managers at my dealerships because I understand their position and am not unreasonable with my demands. I have been angry when a prior GM van of mine needed its 3rd transmission replacement under warranty, for instance. That is big stuff.

IMHO, you should relax and work to solve the problem with the dealer as your ally. The problem will be fixed and I believe you will have better results using your energy to help solve the problem, not attack your dealer.

It sounds as though this may be your first new car(?) and I understand how we all hope for perfection, but problems occur and this is a small one.

Take care,
George

Old 10-27-2015, 07:29 PM
EvanBly
Senior User
Yo George;

I love you! I am taking a big breath. l feel better already. I will take your advice and ask my service representative to show me access to the over-ride. Thank you. This is primary reason I like this forum--honest response by people who can save me from stepping on my own toes.

Crystal: Take a deep breath, relax. George is showing a way from civil war. Peace (maybe).

Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
I was hoping you would understand that I'm trying to help you. I've had 45 cars and as I sit, a trusted BMW dealer is repainting the spoiler that they damaged while they were replacing the radiator and all rubber hoses on the cooling and vacuum systems on my garage queen baby toy car...the car is a '91 so it's about time to change them out. I am angry but the damage is done and I move forward. And it took them a month to do a job they said would take a week...but they knew I did not rely on the car. Many more real life problems like health issues put car things into perspective.

In a quick review of my thinking...if you give the dealer an ultimatum to find the problem, they will leave the car in their lot, and start it, shift out of park twice a day, and it may take 10 years for the problem to surface. How else are they going to reproduce the problem?

If you are driving the TC in real life, you are much more likely to turn up the problem again because you are running the engine and trans thru heat/cool cycles, changes in weather including getting the underside wet on a rainy day (we have a couple inches coming tonight). My guess is that it's still the solenoid, but it could be wire connections on their way to the solenoid or even the shifter mechanically keeping the plunger from releasing the lever.

Is there any way to lubricate the linkage and solenoid interface without an electrical problem? That would not hurt.

Confirm with the svc manager that they are suspecting the solenoid or the wiring, or something else to see if there is any other part you should be watching.

Seriously, best of luck with it.
George

Old 10-28-2015, 08:30 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
...Crystal: Take a deep breath, relax. George is showing a way from civil war. Peace (maybe).
I'm glad to hear it, EvanBly. Keep me informed as things progress; I'm always happy to do whatever I can to help things along. Be advised that if you retain the services of an attorney, I'll no longer be able to assist as I don't have any legal training. I will continue to hang around this thread to see when you have any news to share with us.

Crystal

Quick Reply: strange glitch