Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

Got new tires for my 97 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:11 PM
Big
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Got new tires for my 97 Expy

Bought a set of Yokohama Geolander H/T Y 816 for my 97 Expy 5.4L XLT this weekend and I love them already. I looked around and called around locally for some new rubber and found a lot of good feedback on the Yokohamas.

I finally got tired of the Wrangler RT/Ss that were on the truck. They were loud and hard and may as well have been shaped like a stop sign. I looked on Tirerack.com for the best seller and the price of the Geolander caught my eye. We are looking to update the Expy so if we can sell it this fall (when snow is looming) we will do it, but we could not drive it that long without getting new rubber.

These tires from the moment I drove off were quiter. Once we got on the highway, they were MUCH quiter. They really rode better too. I took an interchange at a good clip and these tires did not squeal at all like the GYs did (the GYs were properly inflated). It started to rain after the interchange test so I did a little wet weather brake test getting off the other highway (with no other cars around) and these tires did as well as I could have expected. Making the left turn from the interchange to the road into town, I kinda tried to get sideways like I used to with the GYs and did not. I am sure if I REALLY tried, I could have but I didn't want to scare the wife with the new tires barely 100miles old!

Anyway this really sounds like a Geolander ad so I will stop now. I had a hard time finding info here about tires so I wanted to throw a post up in case anyone is looking for rubber for their Expy. I paid $101 per tire installed and balanced. Total bill with tax and tire disposal was $426.xx. I know I could have put Michellins on the truck but didn't want to spend north of $150 per tire especially on a vehicle we hope not to have too much longer.

good luck out there.

Big