Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

98 steering rack removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:00 PM
a65merc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 98 steering rack removal

I am having trouble removing the rack from my 98 4x4 explorer. It has a 4.0 v6 w/ ac, ps. I have both lines removed, it is unbolted from the crossmember, the column shaft has been removed at the sector, the cooler has been removed, I have disconnected it from the tie rod ends by unscrewing the rods from the tie rods. do I need to try to remove the floppy rods from the large rack rod? how do I slide it over enough to come out? It won't slide to the passenger side far enough to let the floppy rod come out from behind the front axle mount. it hits the passenger side lower A arm and it will not rotate enough because the shaft that connects to the column shaft hits the AC line that loops under the engine. somebody has to know the secret....thanks
Matt

Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 PM
borland
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 steering rack removal

Matt,

Contrary to the service manual, the rack is removed from the rear towards the driver's side. Only one suspension rubber stop on the drivers side needs to be removed to provide clearance.

As I recall from doing this two year ago, you slide it to the passenger side as far as it goes, then reposition the tie rod for pulling it out the driver's side, with a couple of twists along the way it comes out the driver's side.

You also don't need to disconnect the two tubing lines that come with the rack, and I strongly recommend that you don't, as those gaskets for those lines only come with new lines.

borland
95' XLT, 2WD