Georgia Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: ChiefM SPONSORED BY:

September Chat Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiefM
Too bad I don't live close to you Bronco, I have a screwdriver and know how to use it!!! I figure I have about a year left in the Army so I will be looking for a job, I have not done that in over 30 years!!! I am not a big fan of Windows 8, I have RT on my tablet and it is OK. I will stick with 7 Pro on my laptop and will keep it.

Hugh
I am also on the RV web site but have not been on there in a while since I have been deployed and not done anything to my RV, except for the last 2 days. I installed 2 new roof vents, replaced the roof AC blower motor and fixed an exhaust leak. The coach battery is dead and hoping I can bring it back to life with a slow trickle charge. The battery on the riding mower is dead too, it's on the charger now.

Today was vehicle maintenance day for me. I worked on my commute car, checked tire pressures, cleaned air filter, clean throttle body and mass air sensor. Really cleaned the wife's SUV interior and going to wash it tomorrow. Then I am pulling up the Lighting and going to start looking into the miss. I also have to clean the air filter.

I have found Sam's Club to be cheapest for batteries. They are made by the same company that makes them for Oriley's

Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I will have to check them out. I never got around to working on the truck. I went out to finish the wife's ride and found the rear was leaking, thought it was the pinion seal ended up being just the cover. But I dropped the spare tire and pressure washed it, then decided to go ahead and do the engine while I had the pressure washer out. Well I then ended up washing it and waxing it too. It will need rear brakes and disc's soon. But it is clean and has a good coat of wax on it before winter hits. Plus I feel better knowing what the over all condition it is in.

I have the Lighting pulled up on the parking pad and will start on it tomorrow. The days are getting short till I have to go back to work but the list of things I want/ need to get done is slowly getting shorter. I do want to get a good wax job on all the vehicles since it has been at least 2 years since they had a good hand wash and wax.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:57 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
I will have to check them out. I never got around to working on the truck. I went out to finish the wife's ride and found the rear was leaking, thought it was the pinion seal ended up being just the cover. But I dropped the spare tire and pressure washed it, then decided to go ahead and do the engine while I had the pressure washer out. Well I then ended up washing it and waxing it too. It will need rear brakes and disc's soon. But it is clean and has a good coat of wax on it before winter hits. Plus I feel better knowing what the over all condition it is in.

I have the Lighting pulled up on the parking pad and will start on it tomorrow. The days are getting short till I have to go back to work but the list of things I want/ need to get done is slowly getting shorter. I do want to get a good wax job on all the vehicles since it has been at least 2 years since they had a good hand wash and wax.
You find a place to park for a year?

Old 09-21-2015, 07:03 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
They have long term camping spots on post. Living in an RV seems to be growing for career soldiers. I feel like I have been run over in my sleep. My shoulder hurts so bad from all the waxing yesterday. Ready to work on the truck finally and it looks like rain outside, great

Old 09-21-2015, 07:23 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
They have long term camping spots on post. Living in an RV seems to be growing for career soldiers. I feel like I have been run over in my sleep. My shoulder hurts so bad from all the waxing yesterday. Ready to work on the truck finally and it looks like rain outside, great
CBS 46 weather said partly cloudy with scatter showers. Maybe the will miss both of us. Add something else to your list of pay someone else to do it. Waxing

Old 09-21-2015, 04:08 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Rain held off and got some stuff done. Finally got the firewall bent/cut enough to get the downpipe and Uppipe in. Cut the metal heat shield out (the one under the passenger floor). Put the low e insulation on the firewall and and where the metal heat shield was at. I should have enough insulation left over to do the hood and maybe inner fenders.

Turbo goes in tomorrow, want to get a fresh start on it.

Tools for firewall mod: 4# hammer, 3 ft round pipe, 4 ft 4x 3 steel bar,die grinder, sawzall, whole bunch of ##@$@$$#.

Here are some pics

Old 09-21-2015, 06:21 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Pretty much drizzled all day here so no work on the truck today. Not complaining.. The turbo install is coming right along.. looks good.

I finally added 4 new members to the Georgia Forum, Big Hello to evan1242, sengel1975, FATJOE, krazy_horse.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:36 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Pretty much drizzled all day here so no work on the truck today. Not complaining.. The turbo install is coming right along.. looks good.

I finally added 4 new members to the Georgia Forum, Big Hello to evan1242, sengel1975, FATJOE, krazy_horse.
Welcome guys. I plan on putting in place tomorrow. That is if there is no headache and arms are not hurting. Will not be 100% operational till first of the monthy.

Got to get the Glowshift oil pressure and water temp gauges to match the 3 in 1 I got this month and will have to build the air intake.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:03 AM
GTFun06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome guys!! Sheesh, I been gone for a couple weeks and you almost got the turbo done! Looking good.

We went to Blue Ridge last weekend...(the Sunday that it was like 45 in the morning and never got to 70). It was awesome. I want to move up towards some Mountains now.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:17 AM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Well the first plug I pulled out and it was missing half the electrode, guess I found the miss. I will post a pic later. I am off to the parts store for new plugs.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:50 AM
hturner12
Postmaster
I got the rain today.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:37 PM
sengel1975
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Chief for the add!

Seems to be a pretty active community here. just worked on my 82 F100 after teh engine was finally in and all setup done. Got the exhaust been put on, the first thing I went to the pros as i have no glue about welding.

During the engine swap, I had to replacethe rear seal of the C5 trans and also lost some fluid due to a linkage fluid from the cooling lines to the new radiator I put in. now the damn thing goes out of gear suddenly, when I slow down sometimes. Have to refill it soon and will also replace all the seals....

Question for the GA community: Sometime midterm, I´d like to attack the body and get rid of the old paint and get the pickup repainted. As I believe MAACO is not first choice, do you have any recommendations for getting that paintjob done?

finally ready to roll again....

I like the straight setup.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Does it need painting or is the paint oxidized or do you want to do a color change? Check the loral shops around you. I am going to be brave and do mine myself.

The day I got it

New generals and hubcaps

You can see the differance 3M polishing compound on passenger side

You can get it at Oriley's it in a pink bottle about 30 bucks a quart

Last edited by hturner12; 09-22-2015 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Add pic
Old 09-23-2015, 05:11 PM
hturner12
Postmaster
Getting closer on the turbo. Ypipe is inplace and connected, up pipe connected to pedstal. Pedstal inplace. Had an abrupt stop when the neighbor oven caught fire. Got to go to Griffin in am to get am to get a stainless steel 1/4 to 1/8 bushing for the new EGT gague

Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM
ChiefM
FTE Chapter Leader
Welcome sengel1975 !
I have one more week of Leave and then I am heading to Ft. Benning and working at the Armor School. Been a pretty busy 2 days. I found the reason I had a bad skip. 3 plugs just totally burnt out. I wasn't even hot rodding it. It took me about 4 1/2 hours to replace all the plugs and it runs like a top again. I have a before pic of the front end. I sanded and clear coated the headlights, replaced the fog lights, repainted the the lower grill and then polished it. The headlights looked so good I had to do the tail lights too.

Attached Images     

Quick Reply: September Chat Thread