1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

another bump

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
Received 190 Likes on 174 Posts

i am getting closer to the 'flat-bump being a real truck again.. hope maybe early next week to post some pics of it actually working again..

Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I like the sticker!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
well i guess i should update this thread too... after i got the engine running it ran good for about 30 mins..... then i was adjusting the carb and kept feeling coolant spray.. well i found the leak it it was behind the alt. . like the dummy i am when i put the heads back on i used a gasket set that i have had laying around since the 80's.. let me tell you now dont ever use old head gaskets.. well after getting the heads back off i went ahead and cleaned up a set of heads that i had on a old hot rod many years ago.. they matched the ports on the 64 t-bird intake alot better.. i have most of it back together now.. i decided since the engine only ran for 30 minutes and the gaskets that came with the header started leaking already i would change the gaskets to the remflex header gaskets. i hope they are worth the money.. i also pulled the steering box off after i started the engine and was bleeding the steering system it started leaking. so i ordered some new seals for it.. here are some pics of the progress again..

this is what happens when you use very old dry rotted head gaskets..

the gaskets that came with the jr. headers didnt seal very well at all as you can see

i will try these to see if they seal better

they sure do look better.. i also got some aluminum flange gaskets so maybe they will do better than the cheap ones that came with the headers

i am getting old i guess..it is getting harder to manhandle these FE intakes

maybe the engine will run longer than 30 minutes this time around.. i am not sure if i will use the chrome valve covers or the original ones.. i may clean up and paint a set i have on a 63 galaxie 352 engine.. would be more of a match for the 64 model; intake.. the valve covers would be solid because the breather tube is on the back of the intake instead of the valve cover

Old 03-11-2016, 06:31 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
new heads compared to the old ones..

i think these heads will make the old FE breathe a lot better

the intake ports look huge compared to the 70's heads that were on it originally

Old 03-12-2016, 12:45 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Nice shot of the new heads. Yea, it just might get a little more air. LOL

Old 04-06-2016, 09:32 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
time to update this one a little bit.. i have been busy on the 71 f100 'ole rip' project and the 84 f250 4x4 the past few weeks so not much progress on the 72 f350.. i did start the engine back up yesterday so it is getting back together a little at a time.. i had to weld up the wallowed out clutch linkage's and the z-bar holes, take a 1/2" out of the z-bar and modify the fork to get enough clearance for the headers.. i installed the new remflex header gaskets that i think will seal better.. now if i can get the sheet metal back on, and a few more details worked out i may be able to start using the f350 'flat-bump' to do some work that i have got way behind on..

fits the headers a lot better and are thicker so should seal good

the gaskets that came with the new headers.. did not seal very well

to lazy to lift the intake.. must be getting old

old and new seals

shaft and bearing look good

first seal in

second seal in

you can see where i cut the z-bar to move it up and off the header collector

kinnda tight fit barely had room for a clutch fork spring

the Z-bar don't hit the collector anymore..

had to modify the clutch fork a little to get clearance

the old engine runs again.. sounds great with the open headers

need to do some exhaust work so i can hear myself think....

Old 04-07-2016, 03:53 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Wow, I bet it was loud in there!

Old 04-15-2016, 09:13 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
i have been driving the flat-bump around the yard some.. got most of the sheetmetal back on but trying to get the grille looking decent is taking time...i tried making a video by myself of the big FE running, but didnt think about how dark it is inside the shop..so it is a lousy video..will try making a better one when someone is around to hold the camera for me

http://vid202.photobucket.com/albums...t/MVI_9225.mp4

Old 04-24-2016, 10:04 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
a update..i got a few more things done to the 72 F350 "flat-bump"... i am still doing body work, getting all the lights working or replaced, then build some kind of exhaust to quite it enough to get the truck legal and roadworthy until i can afford the new complete exhaust system .. i have been using it some around the yard and a few short trips.. it has plenty of power and is real handy to have around..

got the hood and valances primed till i get time to do a complete paint job

tried to hammer most of the dents out of the grille

built a swivel mount for the boom on the rear bumper.. simple yet effective

tested the hoist by lifting the old hoist..ha ha ha

sure is handy for moving old trucks with locked up brakes

makes for a much easier job to move things around the yard

Old 04-25-2016, 03:12 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
What did your boom come off of?

Old 04-25-2016, 04:53 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
gary it was on a old truck i crushed a few years back.. that a tire company used for on site farm tractor and road tractor tire service .. no idea what the weight ratings are for it.. but it is fairly stout

Old 05-11-2016, 04:26 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
i have worked a little on the 'flat-bump' today.. got most of the lights working but will need several clearance lights on the bed... and will need some new cab light len's most of mine are cracked and broke.. may have to just buy a new universal set....

hammered on the old 72 grille shell till i got tired of it.. got a 67 grille off another one of my old trucks and lower valance..it looks better i think anyway.... i dont care if it looks original anyway.. just as long as it works.. ha ha ha ha ha

Old 05-12-2016, 03:40 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
I ordered a set of 5 cab lights from O'Reilleys for $19 and some change. They fit perfect.
That grill sets in there good. I like the bumper guards too. I need to start looking for a pair for my F250.

Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
yea gary i was looking online last night.. i seen the lights like you got on there.. but they didnt have any for local pickup so i may have to order them today.... i am giving some serious thought about using one in the 71 f100 i am building..since i dont a very good 71-72 grille shell but i do have a nice 68 model one..

a fairly good 68 grille

may put a different year grille in it since i dont have a good 71 grille

Old 05-29-2016, 06:31 PM
whiskey runner
Lead Driver
been using the old 'flat-bump' around the yard ..i should have it road legal this week sometime..i have all the lights,wipers, and everything else working and ready to be inspected.. i sure do like my new truck more each time i use it..

the old bump dont mind a little weight on the back.. it sure is handy around the yard

the old blazer is full of scrap metal and just about ready to be crushed..

.... i dont know what that old blazer body full of engine blocks, heads, and other scrap iron weighs but the boom did not even grut when i lifted it and the ole truck drove like it was empty.. i think it should make a good shop truck

Quick Reply: another bump