Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

6.4 to 7.3 idi swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 AM
ghunt
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot how crappy the speedometer was in my old truck. It read off the ring gear and jumped all over the place...I couldn't even use cruise control because the truck would accelerate, let off, accelerate, let off...it was awful.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:36 AM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as gauges go I will have to see what works when the cab is finally down and connected. For the brakes I have a hydraulic hose making setup and i will cut the 2009 pressure hose and splice it to the 1991 pump. I dont know the specs on the pumps but Im sure it takes more pressure to turn a two ton truck (PS) than push on a 2.5 in caliper piston to apply the brakes. I do have an instrument pod in the old 7.3 turbo van has EGT, Boost and RPM, but Ill wait on that. This 2009 is a stripped model which makes it easier, it has crank windows and mechanical 4 wheel drive lever.
My goal is to get decent fuel mileage and a trouble free truck. This 7.3, Banks turbo and Gearvendor combination in the old truck would easily get 20+ miles/gallon.

the gas pedal was a direct fit I just need to add the hole to run the cable

with minor work the 4X4 is in place

I have used this set up for years to transfer fuel to other equipment

Nothing worse then running low on fuel on a job or what ever and waisting time

Pumps almost a gallon a minute, worked great on the old truck with two fuel tanks. Empty one and drive on the other

If you worked on cars when three on the tree was common you mite know what this diagnostic tool is. Runs off air pressure

Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
I've seen some stupid posts on this site and this one definitely is on the top 10. Thanks for not disappointing.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:11 PM
Krisverde
Elder User
Originally Posted by CrazySob
I would rather not find out.

There is enough stupidity involving 6.4s these days that ideas like this just add to the google clutter of "6.4s are trash"...
Most people who say the 6.4's are trash are ones who heard it from a friends, brother's, cousin's, friend.

Plus it seems people like to skimp on maintaining them. So no **** they are going to fail.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by Krisverde
Most people who say the 6.4's are trash are ones who heard it from a friends, brother's, cousin's, friend.

Plus it seems people like to skimp on maintaining them. So no **** they are going to fail.
I think a lot of it is how difficult they are to work on. If it were as easy to work on as previous generations I don't think it would have the bad rap it's developed. The relatively sensitive fuel system doesn't help matters.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:42 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm really excited to see how this turns out! I love to watch people fabricate things. I never was good at figuring things like this out. You will have a very unique truck. One to be proud of for sure.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 PM
pgg00
Posting Guru
Subscribed. I swapped an IDI into my 97 as well

Old 03-05-2016, 01:59 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id swap a 6.9/7.3 into anything, but you couldnt pay me to put a C6 into anything. Great transmission in its day, but robs so much power and mpg...

To the guy talking about putting an IDI in a 7k pound pickup, mine gets along just fine, even gets along with the backhoe on the trailer.

I agree with all the gismo crap going wrong, which is why ill keep my 92. We have a '15 Ram 5500 at work, not even 20k miles on it, has random "ghosts". One day its a wheel sensor, next its a message about the brakes, batteries are randomly dead on it, nothing but a gutless headache so far. Beyond that the grandparents have a 6.0 and 6.7, playing the injector / headgasket / turbo replacement game is bad enough, let alone dicking with sensors all the time. On top of all that, i just had my engine rebuilt for what it costs to replace injectors in the 6.0

Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM
farmnfly
Senior User
I thought this forum was started to share information and ideas but apparently I offended several members with my project. I will no longer update this project. I may post some pics of the finished project!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by farmnfly
I thought this forum was started to share information and ideas but apparently I offended several members with my project. I will no longer update this project. I may post some pics of the finished project!
We'd all like to see this as it comes together.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
It is! Keep the updates coming!

Originally Posted by Tom
We'd all like to see this as it comes together.
I agree! The naysayers can go take a hike.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 AM
85F350IDI
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No body Said ypu couldn't move this thread to the IDI section!! I'm with the previous 2 members, the naysayers can take a hike/find a new thread, or hush it and watch!
And to add to that, it's not their truck, money or build you've already got your plan so they should see that you are content with swapping an idi into the truck, now hopefully ypu can get some help with electrical stuff, etc etc!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:55 AM
pgg00
Posting Guru
I agree with above. Post it in the IDI section. We love things like this

Old 03-07-2016, 12:07 PM
ametzker
Senior User
Keep the updates coming. If you do move the thread let us know. I would say it's fine where it's at. The problem with these people that like to argue and gripe on the internet is like being the in the Special Olympics....you may win but you're still retarded.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:33 PM
rufushusky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 388 Likes on 275 Posts
I second this going to the IDI section... very interesting swap...

Just curious, I am guessing NY doesn't have OBII scans as a part of their inspection? In Mass, even though under 9999# GVW diesel are visual inspection only, they still hit the OB2 with a scanner to make sure you don't have any CEL codes or will this just be a yard/farm truck?

Quick Reply: 6.4 to 7.3 idi swap