1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT Does anyone remeber the 4 track player?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Ok I give - What was the purpose of a Reverb? I've got nothing
on this one - no idea what a Reverb is. First car was a Rambler American - 0 - 60mph in 67 seconds - not kidding - we timed it...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
The Reverberator, or Reverb, generates a controlled "echo" to give the music (or whatever else) the sound of being played in a large venue, such as an auditorium or arena.

It gave the early recordings a fuller sound that is engineered into modern recordings.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:44 AM
eman92082
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
My brother had a Muntz 4 track in his '65 Mustang in '67 or '68. Didn't last long in the city.... It seemed great at the time.

FWIW on edit. This player looked almost identical to an 8 track player. The tapes looked the same as well.
We called them the "Muntz Blue Light" and yes, they were stolen as fast as you could install them..... Remember beating the crap out of the cartridges on your knee when they would seize up?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:42 AM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This months Hemmings has an article about 4 tracks. My sister had one back in the sixties. I've never seen another since. The picture of the player in the article is the exact one she had.

Old 08-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Bridgeford
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Jim, but I have not been able to find the 4 track player yet. I have too much stored away in boxes. Not even my wife has been able to find it, though she did find some more 4 track tapes. Eventually when I find it I will post a picture of it. It is likely I put it in that safe keeping spot where all my other lost stuff is.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:38 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
*Click* Music fades back in. Ah, 8 tracks. Anybody remember the "album of the month" club? You'd send in a nickel or something, and pick five albums (or 8 tracks)

But of course then they wanted the subscriber to purchase more albums at regular price. Growing up we had a Wards combo stereo - Phonograph, 8-track and Radio. My favorite record was Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans" one of my older brothers finally broke it in half because I played it too much. Hm.
Was that album of the month thing called "Columbia House"? I got sucked into that one back in the day.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedster9
*Click* Music fades back in. Ah, 8 tracks. Anybody remember the "album of the month" club? You'd send in a nickel or something, and pick five albums (or 8 tracks)

But of course then they wanted the subscriber to purchase more albums at regular price. Growing up we had a Wards combo stereo - Phonograph, 8-track and Radio. My favorite record was Johnny Horton's "The Battle of New Orleans" one of my older brothers finally broke it in half because I played it too much. Hm.
Was that album of the month called " Columbia House"? If so I fell for that back in the day. Of course you got all the albums you really wanted when you pasted all those stickers on the sheet for the free or almost free ones. Then you ended up with a bunch of stuff you didn't want anyway paying full price for them, right.

Originally Posted by Bridgeford
Sorry Jim, but I have not been able to find the 4 track player yet. I have too much stored away in boxes. Not even my wife has been able to find it, though she did find some more 4 track tapes. Eventually when I find it I will post a picture of it. It is likely I put it in that safe keeping spot where all my other lost stuff is.
Carful Ted, once you start going thru old boxes Its hard to stop, and could end up in a big yard sale. This thread kinda got me excited to the point that I ended up on EBAY. Then I remembered what a pain they were when they were new, I can only imagine how frustrating they would be today. LOL

Old 08-15-2015, 10:35 PM
Ibuildmyown
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
Ok I give - What was the purpose of a Reverb? I've got nothing
on this one - no idea what a Reverb is. First car was a Rambler American - 0 - 60mph in 67 seconds - not kidding - we timed it...

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
The reverberator made the radio sound like a music hall in your car, the echo was awesome when working right. Close your eyes, and you thought you were in a big empty building.