EBP sensor install....what went wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:18 AM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EBP sensor install....what went wrong?

Good morning.

After reading many threads on here and trying to get my new-to-me excursion to a level of mechanical comfort for me, I came across EBPV sensor and KOEO test. So I did the test and it showed EBPV to be a few (2-3) psi lower than the MAP sensor. Now I am assuming, and yes I know what assuming does, that the MAP is reading correctly since it is around 14 and unless memory serves me incorrectly, that is atmospheric pressure at sea level....give or take a bit (I am also assuming that this is what the MAP sensor reads since it is atmospheric pressure).

So I ordered a new on through Riffraff and installed on truck. Since I already installed a new tube a few months ago, I went ahead and ensured that all fittings and the tube were not blocked or plugged. Completed install and once done with my Redhead group buy steering gear install, I tested again. This time KOEO and EBPV read 0 and MAP 14. UGH What did I do wrong or what should I check next? I was under the impression that doing this KOEO test that EBPV and MAP should be about the same. Seemed like a relatively easy install process and everything hooked back up so not sure where I could have went wrong. Oh and when driving around, EBPV did rise to high of 5-6 according to go pedal position so that tells me that sensor is working.

Oh and before you ask or say anything, I know that my sig line is not yet setup and apologize so here is background. 2000 4wd 7.3l Excursion. 270,000 miles. FRx, HPx, intake plenum inserts, new boots, new radiator, 6.0l 31 row trans cooler, Edge Insight CTs, Redhead steering gear, all fluids changed, 4" exhaust, AIS intake, TS 6 Position chip. Not sure if I have missed anything else but that should cover it for now I believe.

Thanks guys. I really would like to get this fixed b/c getting ready to head down to GA today and would like the better mpg if I can get it.

**Edit** Can I possibly be reading the wrong "MAP" reading on the Insight CTs?
When I pick the PID it says "Manifold abs Pressure". I think that is what MAP stands for but want to make sure that I didn't have a brain fart and make a boneheaded mistake. Also, right now I am running the "stock" tune on the TS 6 position but I do not believe that this would make a difference.....again I could be wrong. Just trying to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks

Last edited by MK_snipe; 08-08-2015 at 10:39 AM. Reason: wrong part referenced in the title
Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 AM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 6.0 w cts won't read EBP values.

I bought a new sensor only to find that out after the fact.

Not sure this helps but brings it back to the top for you anyhow.

Old 08-08-2015, 04:41 PM
MK_snipe
Junior User
Hmm that is interesting indeed. Thank you for that info. I do have A PID that I can bring up for "Exhaust Back Pressure" but maybe it is not reading what I think that it is.
TBH, as my 12yr old daughter would say, this is now the least of my worries since the truck is still running. I just found out on the trip last night from NC to Savannah, GA that my TC is not locking and throwing code P1744 and I have to hope that I don't blow the TC or tranny (insert funny joke here and if you missed it that is good) when we drive back in a few days......but I guess that is for another thread. Right now I am spending my leave/vacation doing a bunch or research and possible repairs.
When it rains it pours, right? But on the bright side, I do still have an excursion and a running 7.3 at that. That is something bright to look at.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:01 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct, shows the capability to monitor it but it just doesn't do it.

My mechanic hooked up a snap on reader to it and it was all in spec though.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:17 PM
MK_snipe
Junior User
So I called Edge today to find out exactly what value was being displayed on the monitor for EBP. Well long story short, I did not get a good answer.

But what they did tell me that on this monitor the EBP should match the boost, which it does. Not sure where he found that info and why it differs from the values that Tugly has compared to but at least from what they report I am within specs.

Now I just need to figure out the TC not locking up. . Thanks everybody.