6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New to me truck help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 PM
RmMillertime
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to me truck help!

I just bought a 2008 f250 king ranch 6.4l diesel. It has the dpf and egr delete and I am guessing a tune. I am really worried about not knowing what the tune is and not having gauges. Is there anything I can do to figure it out? It came from a dealer so previous owner information is not available. Curious what I can do for piece of mind. Is it possible just to buy my own tuner and gauges and delete the tune what ever it is so I know and can be safe towing and what not.

Don't beat me up to bad. I bought the truck because my old triton v10 blew a tranny three days before I needed to pull my camper out of state. It is super clean and runs like a champ. But I have read a ton on bad tunes. And want to be able to control and have a little more know about the truck.

Thanks guys!

Old 07-26-2015, 11:31 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
New to me truck help!

Perhaps the easiest and cheapest way at this point would be to download the Torque Pro app ($5) for Android and order an ELM 327 adapter from eBay and have a look see at your numbers. Meanwhile, just play it easy!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:53 PM
RmMillertime
New User
I have that set up .... what numbers should I be looking for? I've been reading a lot of forums and it a bug flood of Info. Just looking for a baseline of things to pay attention to.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:57 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
New to me truck help!

I would monitor:

1) EGT. Exhaust temp is probably most critical. Personally I would set that one up on an alarm at about 1100F. That's plenty low but that way your alarm would warn you BEFORE it gets too hot. If the tuning is good you'll be pulling hard before your temps get up to 12 or 1300.

2) BOOST. A tuner can make your boost go much higher than it would stock. I don't know exactly where the danger line would begin. If it briefly went around 45 I probably wouldn't be too concerned.

3) TRANS TEMP

4) COOLANT TEMP

5) OIL TEMP

If you make sure you keep these in reasonable ranges it should be fine.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:05 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 73fan
I would monitor:

1) EGT. Exhaust temp is probably most critical. Personally I would set that one up on an alarm at about 1100F. That's plenty low but that way your alarm would warn you BEFORE it gets too hot. If the tuning is good you'll be pulling hard before your temps get up to 12 or 1300.

2) BOOST. A tuner can make your boost go much higher than it would stock. I don't know exactly where the danger line would begin. If it briefly went around 45 I probably wouldn't be too concerned.

3) TRANS TEMP

4) COOLANT TEMP

5) OIL TEMP

If you make sure you keep these in reasonable ranges it should be fine.
I'll note here that EGT is pretty irrelevant under 1500 degrees, as long as oil temperatures are in order.

Start getting over 245 EOT with high EGT's, and the top piston bowl edges start to degrade and melt. With oil cooled pistons (and the high temperature alloys used in these pistons), oil temperature is the real critical variable.

The rest of the aforementioned parameters are correct.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:07 PM
RmMillertime
New User
Yso I hooked up the app and a few of those perameters didn't communicate with the app. Is there an extension download I need ....
I got it to tell me the stuff down below but it would give me an egt reading or an oil temp. I could get boost, Trans temp, coolant temp, and I could get the temp reading from either bank cat.

Also I guess maybe spartan can answer my question on being able to delete the tune and put my own on it so I can change between fuel economy and towing. I want to be able to monitor it all and know for a fact what's on it. Is there anything I can look for? Etc....

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by RmMillertime
Yso I hooked up the app and a few of those perameters didn't communicate with the app. Is there an extension download I need ....
I got it to tell me the stuff down below but it would give me an egt reading or an oil temp. I could get boost, Trans temp, coolant temp, and I could get the temp reading from either bank cat.

Also I guess maybe spartan can answer my question on being able to delete the tune and put my own on it so I can change between fuel economy and towing. I want to be able to monitor it all and know for a fact what's on it. Is there anything I can look for? Etc....

Any race tuner will allow you to do what you are looking for there.

Couple of benefits with our device:
1.) Huge selection of tunes and power levels ( from 40HP to 350HP, over 30 to choose from)
2.) Best monitoring on the market for 6.4L applications
3.) As of September 1st, we will be offering full custom tuning available again, for the first time since 2010. If you end up changing additional hardware in the future, or want something tweaked, we can take care of it with the tuning device you'll already have.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:33 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
New to me truck help!

Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
I'll note here that EGT is pretty irrelevant under 1500 degrees, as long as oil temperatures are in order.
Thanks for setting that straight. I wasn't too sure where we get into the red. And being one who always tries to stay on the "easy" side, I have my tuner set to defuel at 1,200. It has reached that point once in the 10 months I've had it.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:36 PM
73fan
Laughing Gas
New to me truck help!

Originally Posted by RmMillertime

Okay, not too sure here since I normally don't use Torque on my 6.4L beings I have the tuner plugged in all the time.

If you go into settings>manage pids> menu> add predefined set> and add the "Ford". Maybe you have done that?

Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 AM
RmMillertime
New User

[QUOTE=SpartanDieselTech;15531835]Any race tuner will allow you to do what you are looking for there.

Just want to verify. So any of the tuners yours included will erase any mystery tune that is currently on my truck since I don't physically have the original tuner? I was worried it would be locked into the ecm.
Man that would make my life so much easier. End game here I want a dash outed touch screen gauge/tuner.
I'm not sure what direction I should go with tuning. As I am not sure what's been done to the truck. And I know if I just blindly walk into a ship they will bend me over the coals. The pics I posted with the reply are just what I can tell has been done. Am I right saying that is has been dpf and egr deleted?

Old 07-28-2015, 12:16 PM
RmMillertime
New User
Originally Posted by 73fan
Okay, not too sure here since I normally don't use Torque on my 6.4L beings I have the tuner plugged in all the time.

If you go into settings>manage pids> menu> add predefined set> and add the "Ford". Maybe you have done that?
Thank you! I didn't have that plug in installed. Still after that I didn't gain EGT. Only temp at the cat. Which can I still use but just set my alarm at a lower temp since it will cool a tad by the time it makes it there?

With the plug in I gained oil temp and tranny fluid temp.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:47 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
[QUOTE=RmMillertime;15532703]
Originally Posted by SpartanDieselTech
Any race tuner will allow you to do what you are looking for there.

Just want to verify. So any of the tuners yours included will erase any mystery tune that is currently on my truck since I don't physically have the original tuner? I was worried it would be locked into the ecm.
Man that would make my life so much easier. End game here I want a dash outed touch screen gauge/tuner.
I'm not sure what direction I should go with tuning. As I am not sure what's been done to the truck. And I know if I just blindly walk into a ship they will bend me over the coals. The pics I posted with the reply are just what I can tell has been done. Am I right saying that is has been dpf and egr deleted?

Yes, it will over-write the existing tune. It will save that tune as stock, however, so you'll need to get one of my crewmembers to make you a replacement stock file using the as-built data for the truck. That, however, isn't a problem.