09 F150 Loss of Power on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:14 PM
FordGirl2009
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 F150 Loss of Power on Acceleration

Hello
I posted on here about a month ago. We had been having a lot of rain here in Ohio and for about a 2 week period my truck began stalling on acceleration from a stop sign or light. On trying to start it up immediately after, it would crank and crank but not start. I'd have to wait anywhere between 5 to 20 minutes for it to start.

After the third time, I got to a garage where they checked it over, no codes being thrown. They kept it for 2 days with the truck not doing a thing--ran beautifully. Of course, it had also stopped raining by this time. So we thought it was weather related in some way (humidity??). I picked it up with the garage telling me that if it did it again just bring it in as soon as I could get it there. In the meantime, my husband put some HEET in the tank on a fill up just to see what would happen.

Fast forward to 4 days ago where the weather has been nice, no rain for a while but the humidity has been creeping up. Tuesday night, we filled the tank as I only had about 45 miles to go until empty. Within 5 minutes of leaving the station, I stopped at a light. As soon as I accelerated, the truck lurched so sharply we thought we'd been rear-ended. The force was so bad, our necks and backs were sore for the rest of night. I realized we weren't hit and it was going to stall but it "caught" and we drove the rest of the 40 minutes home fine.

Today, I had it out (it's extremely humid), still on the same tank of gas. Stopped at a light, accelerated and it lurched somewhat, started losing power and thought it was going to stall so I put on the flashers and began to pull over as best as I could with no power when all of the sudden it didn't stall and ran fine.

Sidenote: Last Friday, my son and I made a 4 hour trip (each way) to Michigan with a car dolly to tow a car home (a substantial Infiniti). No problems whatsoever of what I've been experiencing since June. The check engine light did come home in the final hours but I think this was due to pulling the car---and letting my 25 year old son drive it part way like a race car driver! . My husband put on the code reader and it did say something about one of the oxygen sensors. But again, no issues with the stalling. On that trip, we ran the tank down low with only about 19 miles worth of gas in the tank. Filled it up and it seemed to run fine on that tank.

I am extremely frustrated and worried as we are getting ready to head down south for vacation where it is extremely humid and I really don't want to get into something unexpected.

My husband is thinking it might be the fuel filter?? Is that located in the fuel tank? What else could it be??

Any help?

Thanks!
FordGirl

Old 07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
gDMJoe
Laughing Gas
Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Exclamation

FordGirl2009 ... Tuesday night, we filled the tank as I only had about 45 miles to go until empty. ...
By consistently draining the fuel tank to the point of (or near to) E(mpty) and maintaining it there, you're creating/allowing moisture to condense and build-up/accumulate in the fuel tank.

At this point you'll need to keep-up with the dry-gas treatment and maintain the fuel level to MORE THAN ½ at any point in time (unless on an extended trip).

NOTE: Not only are you creating/causing run issues, the longevity of the fuel pump is also being compromised.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the fuel filter is usually found on the inside of the frame under the driver door.
But, what model and engine do you have?
gDMJoe is correct about fuel. Any pilot will tell you that you should top off the tanks at the end of a flight to help eliminate water collecting in the fuel.