Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety Stickers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:53 AM
Leo_T
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Stickers

My ABS light came on again a few days ago. The last time it came on, the repair cost almost a thousand. It was under warranty, so it was covered. Still, I think you worry about these expensive bills all the time you own that truck.

I went to my local RMV site to see what it said about ABS light and air bag light in regards to state inspection.
I was surprised to see that niether one was cause to flunk. The vehicle must have a safety belt, and the red brake light couldn't be on. I felt better after reading that. I live in Ma. and they're pretty fussy about that safety inspection.
Hope this gives others a sigh of relief.
Still have to pass that pesky emission test though.
It makes sense when you think of all the cars and trucks on the road that aren't equipped with abs or air bags.
Still it's nice to know that when things are tough you can wait a while to fix them. I'm sure some states require them though. Check your own state. Good to know one way or the other.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:34 PM
steve83
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Safety Stickers

The Haynes manual ($12 at most parts stores) shows how to pull ABS codes with a paperclip, and has a list of codes.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:40 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety Stickers

Thanks Steve 83

If I can get the info I'd like to find out what's wrong..could be a cheap easy fix, like the banjo speed pick up. Something cheap would be nice, and good to fix for trade or selling. I unhooked the neg terminal yesterday, and the light's been gone since. Maybe it will stay gone. I'll get the Haynes. I have the Chilton, but couldn't find any info except listing the Ford test equipment number.
Thanks again!