1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Advancetrac going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 03:56 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Service Advancetrac going crazy

2013 F250 4WD gas V8, auto, stripped basic truck, 72500 miles.

I'm driving back to the shop today, chimes start going off, Service Advancetrac comes up where the odometer is & starts flashing. More chimes, airbag, battery, seatbelt & a couple of other lights start flashing, & coming off & on at random. Check Brakes starts flashing where the odometer is. This gets worse & worse, more & more noise, but the truck runs fine, starts & stops fine. Ford saw fit to not put a volt meter in, so I don't know what the battery was doing. This went on for at least 5 minutes. I finally was able to push the button to turn off the Traction Control in the split second when all the lights went out. With Traction shut off, all the noise & flashing went away. I parked it when I got back to the shop & am wondering what I should expect tomorrow when I head back out. Has anyone had this happen to them??

Old 07-10-2015, 08:03 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by scottscott
...I'm driving back to the shop today, chimes start going off, Service Advancetrac comes up where the odometer is & starts flashing. More chimes, airbag, battery, seatbelt & a couple of other lights start flashing, & coming off & on at random...
Hi scottscott,

I'd get these misbehaving lights into the hands of your dealership; I know they'd be happy to get this sorted out for you. Once you've had them look things over, let me know if you need my assistance. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see when you have any news.

Crystal

Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 AM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Give the main power connections a look...eg...battery cables both ends and all the grounds.
Look for rodent damage too.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:17 AM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I've had the advancetrac go nuts on me a few times when I was slowly driving thru smooth parking lots in the middle of summer. Turned it off each time to clear it. That was a few years ago, and it hasn't done it since then (2011 F350 6.2l 4wd).

Modern electronics and gizmos......

Old 07-10-2015, 04:11 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Only put about 7 miles on it today, no issues. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check threads by douginga and my thread re. what ,ugh be a similar issue.

Hector

Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Well, after almost a month & 3000 miles with no issues, its back with a vengeance.

Even more lights on this time, along with all the gauges except fuel are dead. And the AC stops working, even though all the lights for it are still on. If the truck is shut off, it takes anywhere from 4 to 20 turns of the key before it will crank over. Then after a few minutes everything goes crazy again. So, its going to the dealer to see what they can do. I expect little to nothing out of them if past experience is any indication.

More fun electrical problems this truck has: Wipers start without touching the switch at random. Sometimes the wipers move an inch at random. When cruise is engaged, it will suddenly floor the throttle & not let up until you shut the cruise off or hit the brake pedal. I chicken out at 85 MPH & shut it off, who knows how fast it would try to go. Sometimes you press the set button for cruise & it takes off the same way. Key in ignition & lights on chime dings at random, usually doesn't work at all.

Truck is a 2013, just over 2 years in service, 74,500 miles.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM
seville009
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, after almost a month & 3000 miles with no issues, its back with a vengeance.

Even more lights on this time, along with all the gauges except fuel are dead. And the AC stops working, even though all the lights for it are still on. If the truck is shut off, it takes anywhere from 4 to 20 turns of the key before it will crank over. Then after a few minutes everything goes crazy again. So, its going to the dealer to see what they can do. I expect little to nothing out of them if past experience is any indication.

More fun electrical problems this truck has: Wipers start without touching the switch at random. Sometimes the wipers move an inch at random. When cruise is engaged, it will suddenly floor the throttle & not let up until you shut the cruise off or hit the brake pedal. I chicken out at 85 MPH & shut it off, who knows how fast it would try to go. Sometimes you press the set button for cruise & it takes off the same way. Key in ignition & lights on chime dings at random, usually doesn't work at all.

Truck is a 2013, just over 2 years in service, 74,500 miles.
If you haven't already done so, make a video with your phone of the stuff while it's happening to show the dealer in case everything works fine when you bring it in.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:44 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Very good idea seville!!!!!!

Old 08-05-2015, 07:17 PM
DJRAAL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forget the Stealership.
Most likely it's your instrument cluster.
Ford should have recalled these instrument clusters years ago, they know that the crap instrument clusters they put in are just that cheap crap electronics. They just don't want to make it right, I had mine repaired and so far it works. There is a whole industry that has sprung up that fixes the crap electronics that Ford installs, I guess it's back to the old (F)ix, (O)r, (R)epair, (D)aily days. Ford truck are not worth the money they charge for them, they are built from cheap crap that brakes down all the time.

here are some of the problems cause by a faulty Instrument cluster, Gauge problems and a myriad of other problems all originate from the instrument cluster, they can include, Issues with, Dome light, Radio, TCB, VVS, Odometer/ Speedometer, FALSE Error codes, Drain batteries, Damage your FICM. You will not get error codes with a faulty instrument cluster.
Search for instrument cluster repair and talk to those folks

Old 08-06-2015, 08:33 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Even more lights on this time, along with all the gauges except fuel are dead. And the AC stops working, even though all the lights for it are still on. If the truck is shut off, it takes anywhere from 4 to 20 turns of the key before it will crank over. Then after a few minutes everything goes crazy again. So, its going to the dealer to see what they can do...
How frustrating, scottscott. PM me your details; I want to make sure this gets pushed up the line to your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

Old 08-06-2015, 04:45 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
You're most likely correct DJRAAL.

Personally, I'd just drive the thing without the gauges & whatnot until it won't start anymore, or it burns to the ground, whichever comes first. But, I'm not going to drive it without AC, & the chimes going on & off at random would get on my nerves. I have a few numbers for the gauge repair places, they will get a call next.

After not being driveable yesterday, & not wanting to crank over without 20 tries, it ran without incident for 150 miles & 4.5 hours today. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Crystal, the truck is out of warranty (74500 miles) so I don't expect much from Ford. If it continues to act up, & goes to the dealer, I will be in touch. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2015, 11:46 AM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Scott, I just dealt with this issue a week ago. My 13 started this a couple of months ago exactly how you described it. It would go nuts running through "service advance trac, low oil pressure, coolant temp high, etc....." and all the gauges and the blower motor would go dead. I would drive a few miles and it would come back. This happened two times and then went away for a couple of months. Then it came back and wouldn't start at all.

I had the truck towed to the dealer and he replaced a piece of wiring harness and also replaced the ignition switch. He stated he could jiggle the key and get the truck to throw random codes. If I get time tonight I will try and copy the tech's notes of what connector he replaced. The truck has run great now for the past week with no issues.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Bandguy
Senior User
It would be great if you could post that information here ciscofreak. It seems all of our dealers are throwing whatever they can think of at the problem since they often can't pinpoint a cause and Momma Ford is no help to them.

Hopefully, somebody is going to trip over the answer eventually

Old 08-12-2015, 03:35 PM
scottscott
Fleet Mechanic
Cisco, that would be a help if you could post what was done to hopefully fix your truck. I know this problem isn't going to disappear on mine.

Quick Reply: Service Advancetrac going crazy