Computer Chips & Tuners  

Questions for Ken

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:05 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Questions for Ken

I have the 5.8L & the E4OD tranny and I am in the proccess of converting my speed density rig to the MAF setup. After the istallation I will end up with two computers, origanal one to control the tranny and a new one(computer = A9L) to control the engine. The kit for this conversion comes with a junction box that both the computers are pluggeg into, along with the Mas Air meter and the two O2 sensors and new injector wiring. Basically, it seems as though it might be the same setup as the '93 Lightning.

Could this type of setup be chipped? and how?

Which one of the two computers would the chip plug into?

Or, would the chip plug in between the junction box and the stock wiring harness?

I'm looking into the three stage Diablo chip
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kimball

Old 08-03-2003, 09:15 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Questions for Ken

Originally posted by tite4x4
I have the 5.8L & the E4OD tranny and I am in the proccess of converting my speed density rig to the MAF setup. After the istallation I will end up with two computers, origanal one to control the tranny and a new one(computer = A9L) to control the engine. The kit for this conversion comes with a junction box that both the computers are pluggeg into, along with the Mas Air meter and the two O2 sensors and new injector wiring. Basically, it seems as though it might be the same setup as the '93 Lightning.

Could this type of setup be chipped? and how?

Which one of the two computers would the chip plug into?

Or, would the chip plug in between the junction box and the stock wiring harness?

I'm looking into the three stage Diablo chip
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kimball
Question, what you are looking for, transmission control or power? Can't control both with your setup with one chip, its a chip in one computer or the other. Seems that it would be simpler to just install a harness to a mass air computer that controls the tranny as well.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:12 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions for Ken

Thank you for reply Ken.

Question, what you are looking for, transmission control or power? Can't control both with your setup with one chip, its a chip in one computer or the other. Seems that it would be simpler to just install a harness to a mass air computer that controls the tranny as well.
I am looking for both power and shifting. Apperentally the conversion kits that I have seen so far do not provide just one computer for my rig. And, since I have the E4OD tranny, the stock computer controls both shifting and power. If I had the AOD or older style tranny, then I would end up with just one computer, not two that I have now

One thing that I forgot to mention in ky first posting, is that the stock harness that pluged into stock computer is now pluged into the junction box from the kit. Then the junction box has the wiring to go to both computers, mass air meter, and BAP sensor. The section of harness for the new second computer also has the wiring for second O2 sensor and Fuel injectors.

Would I be able to be install the chip between stock wiring harness and the junction box?
Or, would I be able to install two chips, one between each computer and wiring harness that goes into junction box?

Thanks again

Last edited by tite4x4; 08-03-2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Questions for Ken

No, the chip plugs into the computer service port, controlling the actions of one computer or another. If you're looking at the expense of two chips, you're better off getting the harness off a newer vehicle and going with a 1 computer setup.