Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Unsafe observation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
My wife put my panties in a wad this morning...
I just love being old and snickering at the kids doing the same dumb stuff we did growing up..

I had a friend with a lifted toyota and an 8' whip on top of the roll bars that would slap the power lines

My ideas were always perfect of course

Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
In more irrelevance, hell yeah!

Old 07-03-2015, 10:31 PM
DirtyLarry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jdeshler
In more irrelevance, hell yeah!

Right, and who can honestly say they wouldn't be sitting in that while their friend drove them around the neighborhood? It'd only take me a good thirty seconds to be needing a doctor.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:22 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry
Nevermind, it doesn't matter and it's not worth it. Sorry for arguing. We ok bkaul?
Oh yeah, we're all good. I'm not upset, was just trying to make my point. Sorry if it came across too strongly - didn't mean that as a threat to you personally, just using hyperbole.
Originally Posted by paredneck33
Can't we all just get along? Can't we just have a civil discussion with out threats. I get what bkaul was trying to say. And I agree with him. Just not necessarily the way in which he said and described a certain scenario to make his point. Believe me I get it. If someone hurt or killed one of my loved ones in an accident because of an unsafe mod to their vehicle, I want to do physical harm to them as well. But more importantly I'd want justice. Which I believe is what he was trying to say.
Yeah, that's my point exactly. Sorry if the hyperbolic language came across too strongly - didn't mean it as a threat, just using it to illustrate the point.

As for the legal framework, like I said, what I actually think would be reasonable is holding stock vehicles to the FMVSS that was in effect when they were sold new (obviously already the case), but holding modified vehicles to whatever standards are in effect when the modification is made (which means nothing until NHTSA comes up with a standard on the issue).

Old 07-04-2015, 01:18 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Like everybody else I think of my self and the personnal pleasure that I'm going to get from using my vehicle. But I also remind myself on occasion that I'm not the only person on the road and most times take that into consideration to. Unfortunately not everybody realizes we're all cogs in the machine and the better everything runs in sync the better the machine works, hence the reason google is into drone cars. For some peopl we're better off having people in drone cars. But we're indepedent of thought and don't want to live like lemmings. Thats okay don't be a lemming but dont be the village idiot either and demand that you have your right to do what you want no matter how it affects others.
Theres people who do all sorts of things to their vehicle with out thinking all the way through. Rechipping your diesel and removing the dpr and egr so that they burn black and stink out the street light. Guys with new wide duallie wheels on back that stick out 3" and through small stones at youhead as you drive and spray the windshields of others with slush. The idiot in the rice rocket who thinks he's a drifter car driver. Foolishness and silliness is something we all specialize in, its how we impose our acts of les than great thought patterns on others thar makes the difference. More people should remember to think and drive.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:50 PM
brian1080
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's my thought. I drive big trucks every day (new garbage trucks, front and rear discharge mixers, cranes, boom trucks, etc) and I know how traffic is. These trucks are massive, some of the trucks have the door sill above the roof on most cars. If a car and one of these trucks collide, no bumper is gonna help the car survive. Todays cars are throwaway cars, made to crumple and pitch. The problem to me isn't the height of the trucks, it's the speed of the CARS. I regularly see cars doing 80+ on the highways, it's the new norm apparently. I base this off my gps, so it's not just a guess. Now, cars are safety tested at 55mph??, so people buy them because they have good "safety reviews". Well, throw that out the window when you're going 90mph. A jacked up mall crawler with no bumpers will not really do much to a car on city streets where they are going around 30-40mph. How often do you see jacked up trucks on interstates where 70-80mph speeds are more common?

On top of that, when's the last time anyone heard of a jacked up truck running over a car?

Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 AM
wdfp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are already laws pertaining to bumper height in relation to modifying it higher or lower. Some states do not allow any change while others are more lenient, private or commercial use makes a difference also. Georgia allows 2" up or down, Vermont no change is allowed, most seem to be between 22" and 31" for heavier vehicles.
These laws have been on the books for a long time so maybe they should enforce the old ones before making new ones?
BTW, that drifter thing, I thought might be a wind up key... Looks like one anyway..

Old 07-05-2015, 10:51 PM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by wdfp
These laws have been on the books for a long time so maybe they should enforce the old ones before making new ones?
Absolutely!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:23 PM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
There's only one thing wrong with our highways and roads, everyone with a lisence and a vehicle gets to use them.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:21 AM
Jdeshler
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by bkaul
Absolutely!
X2

Originally Posted by privateer, eh
There's only one thing wrong with our highways and roads, everyone with a lisence and a vehicle gets to use them.

I agree! We were in the mobile bay last night watching the fireworks off the battleship and i didnt spy anything unnecessary but the police were swarming like hornets

Old 07-06-2015, 12:12 PM
HoustonDave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
wdfp- I thought I remembered hearing of those - I was working in dealerships back when the safety bumpers first came in and there were limits on how far a vehicle could be modified... bumper height X inches to Y inches sort of thing. Supposedly any vehicle sold in the US had to fit into that range... that destroyed many old sports cars back then, as they just could not meet the height standards. My understanding was that these laws are still on the books, but there is zero enforcement.

Just for what it's worth - I'm all over anyone modifying their ride any way they want. But, like ultra loud stereos, the aforementioned example of excess-emitting diesels, etc - I think YOUR freedom to modify your ride to do something outrageous stops when "it gets to my nose" - as does mine. Too many folks have the "I can do whatever I want no matter if it screws someone else up or is dangerous because I want to" attitude, and seem to fail to realize that there is NO right to endanger or tick off others gratuitously. OK, rant over...

Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 AM
wdfp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, I figure if they can't be bothered to to do anything about these blue , purple or whatever the color of the day headlights are, or the boom boom stereos, they sure cannot be expected to get out and measure something can they?
More money in Jailable offenses and that's all they are anymore, tax collectors..

Old 07-07-2015, 04:39 AM
privateer, eh
Hotshot
Having the police take the responsibility for vehicle inspections may be more work than they may be able to do. But all your states and our provinces have a Dot/Mot who's job description includes vehicle inspection. Having them set up on the side of the road pulling over suspicious vehicles the same way they pull over commercial vehicles would be easy enough to do. Unfortunately some ahole would pass inspection and start screaming police state and the press and civil libertarians would jump all over it. That's how our crime rates went down and now the criminals are the good guys and the law abiding citizen is a member of the evil empirealist society.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:30 AM
bkaul
Posting Guru
Inspection requirements vary on a state-by-state basis. For example, in Missouri, a state safety inspection is required to renew your license plates, and would be able to capture this sort of thing. In Tennessee, there's no such inspection - you just pay the fee and get the sticker. No brakes? No lights? No problem.

Old 07-07-2015, 01:36 PM
ZarK-eh
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don' need none no brakes or lites when ah goots deez truk nutz

Quick Reply: Unsafe observation.