Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could there be hope in an Excursion return?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:21 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mecdac
DAC/DW/The Queen lured me...

After she got inside she said, "Oh hell no."

Not what she said after being in the Escalade at a recent Caddy event with her mother.

Stick her in a Range Rover, great ladies SUV.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:02 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Stick her in a Range Rover, great ladies SUV.

I'd move in the direction of the Cayenne.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:31 AM
PSUhoss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...or the new infiniti QX80 for my $$.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:09 AM
NCTunanut
Senior User
A burb with a Duramax/Allison combo would be high on my "need" list. My wife would prefer a Escalade HD, actually so would I. I'm sure the price tag would be 6 figures though.

Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by NCTunanut
My wife would prefer a Escalade HD, actually so would I. I'm sure the price tag would be 6 figures though.
The Excalade already tops out at $97,940. Add a Dirtymax

Old 07-10-2015, 07:28 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
If I had plenty of cash to burn, I would want to take a Dually and turn it into an EX....just sayin'

Old 07-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
X is dead and gone. While it would be cool to see a Ford revival, it isn't going to happen.
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Expy is a real JUNK, SUV with full independent suspension, thing is three inches off the ground and can't be used for more than bringing kids to sports events. Put five full grown two hundred pound men, five auto loader guns, two 70 pound dogs, plus all teir hunting gear in the expy PLUS a 18ft enclosed trailer with two 4x4 atvs and about two hundred geese decoys etc and that expy will be literally dragging the hitch in the ground. Then try driving that street princess into a snow covered field with all that gear and trailer and watch it drag it's undercarriage into the dirt! GM is still offering a "real" SUV with a solid rear axle and one that actually sits up off the ground. I don't know ANY hunter or guide service that uses a ford SUV unless it's a ex...
interesting to see all the hate for the Expy. A Expy EL would do perfectly fine in the above described situation...on the road or not. It has the same ground clearance as it's F-150 brothers. And that "junk IRS" actually gives her more clearance out back, plus a much nicer ride.

Yes it has IRS....and it can tow up to 9200 lbs without much fuss. Even with the now venerable 5.4 3v motor, the Expy is a very capable rig. I'll probably get flame sprayed over this, but the 07+ Expy EL is a better tow rig off the line than a X initially. You have to do several upgrades to an X before the X becomes a better puller.

If you park a Expy next to an X, you will see that they are darn near the same sized. Same as with a Suburban. I recently rented a 2015 Suburban while in Texas and it was effectively the same size as my old X...and my old Expy EL.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Big Sky
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylus
X is dead and gone. While it would be cool to see a Ford revival, it isn't going to happen.

interesting to see all the hate for the Expy. A Expy EL would do perfectly fine in the above described situation...on the road or not. It has the same ground clearance as it's F-150 brothers. And that "junk IRS" actually gives her more clearance out back, plus a much nicer ride.

Yes it has IRS....and it can tow up to 9200 lbs without much fuss. Even with the now venerable 5.4 3v motor, the Expy is a very capable rig. I'll probably get flame sprayed over this, but the 07+ Expy EL is a better tow rig off the line than a X initially. You have to do several upgrades to an X before the X becomes a better puller.

If you park a Expy next to an X, you will see that they are darn near the same sized. Same as with a Suburban. I recently rented a 2015 Suburban while in Texas and it was effectively the same size as my old X...and my old Expy EL.
Don't all new Expeditions come with the 3.5 EB? I drove through our local dealers lot this morning and have seen quite a few new Expeditions, more than I have seen in awhile. It makes me wonder if folks are liking the new EB.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:06 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Let's call ford up with a group buy for Ex's. I'm sure that'll sway them

Old 07-10-2015, 02:09 PM
VTENX
Junior User
Originally Posted by Drunken_Unicorn
Let's call ford up with a group buy for Ex's. I'm sure that'll sway them
LOL!

If you go to Ford's suggestion website, you'll find a ton of people suggesting they bring it back.

You know, I was thinking the other day, the X was a really unique ride. Even if you stack the 2v V10 up against the 3/4 ton gassers today, it comes out on top. Nothing beats it for torque, to this day, in the HD gas market.

The 3v even moreso.

The early 2000s was the HD gasburner's heyday.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:48 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
We had a turbo, great for small people... Wife complained from the first day I bought it....they are zippy but ain't no SUV. Wife is 5' 6" and 140lbs not big, from there she went to the 2006 Range Rover Supercharged (first year full size) loved it until I got her back into cars in 2009 I just bought a used supercharged sport, but I will be trading it in before the end of the year for a full sized one.

Mark, I wouldn't point you in the wrong direction... The Porsche is what you can picture your wife in, but the Rover will make her happiest.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Mark, I wouldn't point you in the wrong direction... The Porsche is what you can picture your wife in, but the Rover will make her happiest.
No it's what I can picture me in when I drive "her" car.

She also likes the MDX.

Isn't the Rover in the shop a lot?

Matt and I are having a great time tearing up the asphalt (97°) here, he says The Grand Cherokee with a Hellcat engine.

Last edited by mecdac; 07-10-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: add info
Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by VTENX
LOL!

If you go to Ford's suggestion website, you'll find a ton of people suggesting they bring it back.

You know, I was thinking the other day, the X was a really unique ride. Even if you stack the 2v V10 up against the 3/4 ton gassers today, it comes out on top. Nothing beats it for torque, to this day, in the HD gas market.

The 3v even moreso.

The early 2000s was the HD gasburner's heyday.

I like all of the flak people give the V-10 Triton. Almost like it was such a bad motor it was eliminated from production.

Old 07-10-2015, 03:43 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
No it's what I can picture me in when I drive "her" car.

She also likes the MDX.

Isn't the Rover in the shop a lot?

Matt and I are having a great time tearing up the asphalt (97°) here, he says The Grand Cherokee with a Hellcat engine.
Never, this is our 4th rover... 3 new and 1 used... Regular service they give you loaner always same day repair. Make sure you buy new or at least full bumper to bumper, suspension even though I've never had an issue can cost 10k to repair. I would never own one without warranty. Supercharged is fast enough to put a smile on your face, you guys will look great in it cruising in Buckhead and in Savannah
They do have the extended wheel base, but really only difference would be if you have a driver and wanted the extra leg room. A fully loaded will be in the low 100's and in my opinion worth every penny. These are not investments in any way, but you know how I feel about life and the way I live it.

Old 07-11-2015, 09:15 AM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The Excalade already tops out at $97,940. Add a Dirtymax
True but that's one of the ridiculous hybrid ones, which iirc is a $10k option or so. They have gotten ridiculously expensive. With a king ranch f250 diesel more expensive than my excursion was (and mine has literally every option and snickered at Iirc $59 or something), how much would an excursion be brand new these days anyway?

Quick Reply: Could there be hope in an Excursion return?