Computer Chips & Tuners  

Custom MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 05:10 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Custom MAF conversion

I'm looking to add a mass-air system to my truck using an A9L Mustang computer, and a Pro-M mass-air meter. Is there any difference in mass-air meters between 89-93 style and the 96-up style other than the electrical connector? This seems to be a fairly straight forward swap, and I think it can be done if I take my time and follow wiring schematics carefully. I know someone has done a custom swap, but I'm not sure the name of the person. Any other tips/tricks that would be helpful in this swap would be appreciated as well. Thanks, and apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:43 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom MAF conversion

I am now getting ready to do the same conversion on my '90 Bronco. I have already purchased the kit from the same company that you mentioned. They provide every thing that you need in order to do the swap; Mass Air meter attatched to new open element air filter, Tube between meter and throttle body, O2 sensor, Wiring harness that attatches to meter & fuel injectors and both O2 sensors, two bungs for O2 sensors(to be welded into the exhaust pipe just below the collector of headers), new computer, and instructions that are pretty thurough. Not only that the techs at Pro-M are very helpful, they basically won't stop helping you until the problem or help that you would need is totally resolved.

From your sig., I take it that you have the 5.0 and the AOD transmision, if thats the case then the kit from Pro-M would be the E.F.I. Truck Conversion Procedure for the NON-E4OD Transmision. It is straight forward. The main thing, is to take your time & be patient, ie, when doing the wiring for the 60pin connector that plugs into the computer from the engine compartment. You would have to take out each wire from old connector and put into new connector that comes with kit per the instructions.

Since my rig has the E4OD tranny I had to get the Lightning Truck Conversion Procedure and kit. Basically, I still have to keep my stock computer to control the transmision. So I'll end up with two computers; old one to control tranny and new one to control every thing else on the engine. I accually just had the two bungs for the O2 sensors welded into place this morning. And I am going to start the rest of the installation today. It's kinda nice to be off work for a couple of weeks to do this.

If you havn't done so check out thier web sight at http://pro-flow.com/

If you already have some of this info, sorry. Also, if you have any other questions that I might be able to help you with just ask.

Hope this helps
Late

Last edited by tite4x4; 07-30-2003 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 03:16 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Custom MAF conversion

Hey, thanks for the info! It's actually a manual 4 speed o/d, but it would likely be the same kit as the aod. How much was the kit you purchased? I'm looking to swap this out for less than it would cost to purchase a kit and give my brain a good work out as well. I was thinking more of buy a computer, and buy a MAF meter separately, and do the wiring myself, and fabricate intake tubes. I found several MAF meters on ebay, but I don't know what the difference is between MAF's for early mustangs, and MAF's for 96 and newer mustangs. I'd like to know if they will interchange, or what the difference is if they won't. I know the mass-air computer uses a BAP instead of a MAP; is that a different part, or is it the same piece, just a different name? Thanks again.

Last edited by EPNCSU2006; 07-30-2003 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:28 PM
E150X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom MAF conversion

Map will convert to Bap if you disconnect the vacuum line on it. Plug the hose.