1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
I hear you about the rattle can paint drying. Rustoleum take forever. I have fount that if you can find an auto parts place that will mix paint and put it in a rattle can is much better, dries faster and paint quality is much better. Price is 2x or 3x as much. Have you tried a dehumidifier that could help.
My paint store caters to the car repair businesses. They mixed up mine from factory codes. I am not using off the shelf colors, but factory paint colors - Boxwood Green in this case.
Not ready to spend more on a dehumidifier that I may never use again in this area. This damp spell will go away.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:29 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Rattle cans are convenient, but there is a price for that. The best compromise is to do what Brian said above, if you don't have a compressor and a good HVLP gun.. Working at home, its always "Tools, The guy who dies with the most tools, wins.. but what?

Baja

Old 05-23-2016, 07:50 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Some rattle can primer progress. Actually, late yesterday I had some rattle can Boxwood Green paint "progress" as well, but did not grab any pictures.
Also steel wooled the heater box (it has a lot of over spray from previous owner's efforts) so It is gloss black (probably should have used something not as glossy). Wondering if I ought to go ahead and replace the heater core while it appears convenient.
I will say, I made a mistake using this "mouse" electric sander I was trying out. Had a heck of a time sanding out/steel wooling the marks it left and I am sure many still exist.
All things being equal, it looks like hell now. Hoping for better once the sound proofing, carpet, firewall pad and steering column are back in.

Attached Images   
Old 05-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things look like there progressing nice. Don't rush it, take your time and you'll be rewarded. Spray guns are not as expensive as you think. I used a junk tool company (Harbor Freight) gun for years. Worked just fine. I purchase a 3 gun set from Max Air when I needed to paint my old BMW bike. I don't think there too expensive. In the long run you'll save money if your painting the truck .(My 2 pennies.)

Old 05-23-2016, 08:34 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Things look like there progressing nice. Don't rush it, take your time and you'll be rewarded. Spray guns are not as expensive as you think. I used a junk tool company (Harbor Freight) gun for years. Worked just fine. I purchase a 3 gun set from Max Air when I needed to paint my old BMW bike. I don't think there too expensive. In the long run you'll save money if your painting the truck .(My 2 pennies.)
Spray guns require more compressor than I have - 20 gallon HF model. Plus, from what I see there is definitely an art and a science to spraying that I have not learned. I guess a lot of the stuff is now being shot with HVLP (I think that is the acronym) setups. Which, honestly, not sure what that means. Just see the reference a lot.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
HVLP, high volume low pressure.
I don't care for them, but I'm old school and haven't really given them a chance.
Practice with spraying primer. You gotta sand it anyway, right. Don't over think it. Painting is like a dance, fluid motions and no bouncing around. Today's products, even a trained monkey can do it.....
I know because I can.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TeachNlive4ever
HVLP, high volume low pressure.
I don't care for them, but I'm old school and haven't really given them a chance.
Practice with spraying primer. You gotta sand it anyway, right. Don't over think it. Painting is like a dance, fluid motions and no bouncing around. Today's products, even a trained monkey can do it.....
I know because I can.
Seem to recall seeing that more stuff is going to water-based paints for cars as well.
Paint booth might be another "little" challenge for me as well. I have seen guys configure booths with the portable "carports."
The thing about spraying with a compressor and gun, if I am not mistaken is clean-up. I know on some house sprayer I used many years ago, I spent more time cleaning my equipment than actually spraying the rooms.

Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 AM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Seem to recall seeing that more stuff is going to water-based paints for cars as well.
Paint booth might be another "little" challenge for me as well. I have seen guys configure booths with the portable "carports."
The thing about spraying with a compressor and gun, if I am not mistaken is clean-up. I know on some house sprayer I used many years ago, I spent more time cleaning my equipment than actually spraying the rooms.
True, but a clean gun sprays well, as designed... the HVLP guns have come a long way over the old siphon cup design, and are way easier to clean... a little lacquer thinner, or Acetone, will clean up anything, if you don't let it sit over night...

Baja

Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've used the water based once! The color was muddy, could have been the brand. The clear is still eurathane so water based paint doesn't make sense to me.
Paint booth, all your trying to do is keep dust and bugs off the wet/fresh paint. Bugs LOVE clear coat. I like the smell of it too.
You can let your imagination come up with po boy ways to get it done. Where ever you paint it wet the floor down as to not kick up dust.
I can clean my Seta jet 95, cups and tools with 1 gallon of lacquer thinner. I buy it in 5's any way. It does take a poop ton of blue shop towels tho.
I don't paint every day so I eat 10 cows to help reduce depleting the ozone layer from their flatulance for as much atomized chemical I release on a paint job.
I did have to paint a neighbors car once to keep em shut up.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Spray guns require more compressor than I have - 20 gallon HF model. Plus, from what I see there is definitely an art and a science to spraying that I have not learned. I guess a lot of the stuff is now being shot with HVLP (I think that is the acronym) setups. Which, honestly, not sure what that means. Just see the reference a lot.
HVLP= high volume low pressure. I spared with a small compressor most of my life. Just takes a little longer. As for science, the mix instructions are supplied be the paint manufacture. I always used to mix without a recipe, but now I mix what they say on the cans. A little practice and you'll surprise yourself.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:46 AM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
Interior reconstruction started up. Provided UPS/Fedex/USPS is not flooded out today, the final gasket/parts needed to start putting things back together should be in today.
Did start getting the carpet in place over the weekend. Unpacked the firewall pad as well to allow it to unwrinkle and to see how much it will cover.

Attached Images    
Old 05-31-2016, 10:33 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Looking good

Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM
bajafishnut
Cargo Master
The firewall pad should help with engine noise, and dampen vibration some too... Keep doing it right... you won't have to do it over again for a long time...

Baja

Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM
hillcountryflt
Fleet Mechanic
I used the sound deadener sold by ACC (Auto Custom Carpets) for my truck and the carpet had a some sound deadening material behind it as well. The sound/heat mat covered the floor pans and about three quarter of the area under the seat. I can picture it starting to come together on the interior.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:58 PM
Randle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like your coming right along with your truck. IMO Sound deadening is some of the best money you can spend on a driver.

Quick Reply: Money squandered - hopefully lessons learned