5.0L Coyote 5.0l Ford OHC Coyote engine for 2011+

Oil Catch Can?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 10:04 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sky Cowboy
No engine issues from doing it for 75 years on cars.
Many motorcycles and other things still do it.
Wow! You've been working on cars 36 years before you were born.

Old 12-08-2016, 10:14 PM
Thorium
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
Screw all that! Just run a hose down below the truck, and let it blow to atmosphere like the good olde days!

Originally Posted by mueckster
Ford does recognize the benefit of a catch can on the 5.0 Coyote engine, but does not endorse its use on street driven vehicles. Ford Racing Mustang 5.0L Coyote Oil-Air Separator (11-16 GT) | M-6766-A50 | Free Shipping! I have the passenger side JLT catch can that also uses factory connectors and can reversed back to stock in 30 seconds. There is no harm it can do. I has only positive benefits and leaves no "foot print".
I agree with mueckster, not exactly sure how much oil is actually collected in the catch cans on the 5.0 in a 5000 mile period but if its considerable, a catch can is a must. This is the catch can that anyone can purchase for there 5.0 and 5.2 coyote.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
GVS
Senior User
Originally Posted by johnday
Screw all that! Just run a hose down below the truck, and let it blow to atmosphere like the good olde days!

My experience with draft tubes in the '50's is in cold weather they would load up with a milky water/oil mix and at temps - freezing they'd ice up as well,not good.I've also seen PCV systems well mucked up too.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:52 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 246 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by GVS
My experience with draft tubes in the '50's is in cold weather they would load up with a milky water/oil mix and at temps - freezing they'd ice up as well,not good.I've also seen PCV systems well mucked up too.
Yes, they did. If warm weather, you'd sometimes end up with a spot of oil under the vehicle too.
Ah, the good ol' daze!! No Cats, no PCV system, and leaded 100% gas. We never realized how bad those engines smelled.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:29 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GVS
Pure poisonous sludge; definitely not good to be dribbling around. If those flows from the crank case are heavy enough to muck up the PCV valve, then the engine must have a lot of blow-by, which is indicating other problems.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:44 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The advantage to using a catch can is there, but it's a question of the relative benefit.

The EB engines (and those that use DI fueling only) don't get the benefit of the fuel washing the backside of the valves off, so DI engines can suffer from a fairly bad build-up of carbon/gunk deposits on the valves. Therefore catching the PCV vapors to remove the oil prior to induction is very beneficial.

Traditional FI (such as MPI) does not have this problem, or has it to a much, much lower resolve. The benefit in this regard to using a catch can is far smaller, and would be difficult to quantify.

One can vent to atmosphere easily on a N/A engine. You are violating clean-air standards, though. And, there are benefits to having a "closed" loop system; very little moisture will make it's way inside the engine.

Overall, on a 5.0 Coy, it's generally an unnecessary add-on. Probably a VERY good idea on an EB.

In fact, I believe that the new 3.5L EB in the 2018 engine has a duel-injection system; both DI and MPI. I suspect it was to address this carbon issue at least in part. They obviously figured a way to also get more torque (which they clearly did), and are quietly enjoying the reduced concerns of carbon on the valves as a side-benefit of the multi-discipline fuel-injection approach.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:30 PM
GVS
Senior User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
Pure poisonous sludge; definitely not good to be dribbling around. If those flows from the crank case are heavy enough to muck up the PCV valve, then the engine must have a lot of blow-by, which is indicating other problems.
Doesn't take much blowby in northern NY in the winter time to muck up the PCVS.Just the cold to warm to cold temp swings with the attendant condensation will do the job nicely!

Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 PM
jimmy-six
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've installed one, a Ford Performance M-6766-A50, on my 2018 5.0 F-150 when it had 100 miles on it. It was supposed to fit the same as a Mustang on the front of the right side cam cover but did not because of the new added port injectors. It can come off in less than 5 minutes and will for all dealer servicing. The longer hose was bought from RockAuto KCV-283 with a little work and a heat gun. I made my own mount for the separator to mount on the battery box. I included 2 photos: before and after

Stock

Separator Installed