1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Possible Ranger Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 12:38 PM
cbzdel
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible Ranger Project

Hey all I have been going back and forth on what type of project vehicle I want. I used to have a 1993 F150 and I loved that thing but it was more work that I wanted to take on. That being said I have no need for a full size truck anymore, but I would like to have a truck. This has me very interested in the 1989 to 1992 Ranger body style. I could buy one of those and pretty much do everything I wanted to do to my F150 but it would be more reasonably sized. The truck would not be a daily driver, it would be just something to tinker with and really only be used to to go hunting, fishing or a home project.

A couple questions that come to mind:
In the 1989 to 1992 body style what is the most reliable combination for engine and transmission? I do want to get a 4x4 for sure, I have never needed it in the past but its something I would rather have and not need than need and not have haha.

Here is another big one, the truck would be 26 to 23 year old. Say I wanted to keep it for another 10 to 20 years (I have never held onto anything that long but lets say I do haha), were the rangers popular enough that parts will still be around for that long? I guess that is the big one for me, I would hate to get really into this and then the alternator goes out in a couple years and I cant locate a new one. The only old project I ever have had was my 72' beetle project which parts for those are still a dime a dozen for those haha.

Knowing what I have in mind, would a Ranger be a good pick for me or should I really think more into the F150? I am not bothered by the F150, it is just much bigger than what I need.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:56 PM
Mikeman
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cbzdel
A couple questions that come to mind:
In the 1989 to 1992 body style what is the most reliable combination for engine and transmission? I do want to get a 4x4 for sure, I have never needed it in the past but its something I would rather have and not need than need and not have haha.
Here's my opinion and you know what they say about opinions. My own preference is what I used to have: '91 Ranger with 4.0 and manual everything (except steering): tranny, transfer case, hubs, windows, door locks. '92 would be fine, too. I've heard of issues with the rear main on early 4.0s leaking due to the crank finish being too fine, but mine never leaked during the 170K or so miles I owned it. The clutch master did start to leak a little toward the end and needed to be topped off every couple of months. I got rid of mine when the head gasket went out or the head cracked - fairly common problems when they get up there in years. The reason for the manual stuff is that it doesn't break. All that stuff still worked without any problem when I got rid of my Ranger (which I regret to this day). However, a lot depends on the previous owner(s). Radius arm bushings were also an issue after about 10 years. Ford had updated parts for the Explorer of the same years but they also fit the Ranger. Not sure if they're still available. The old A/C systems used R12 and that's no longer available so that's something to consider if you care about A/C. OBDI code readers also seem to be getting somewhat scarce. If you do get a Ranger, get the factory service manual.

Originally Posted by cbzdel
Here is another big one, the truck would be 26 to 23 year old. Say I wanted to keep it for another 10 to 20 years (I have never held onto anything that long but lets say I do haha), were the rangers popular enough that parts will still be around for that long? I guess that is the big one for me, I would hate to get really into this and then the alternator goes out in a couple years and I cant locate a new one.
I can't imagine having any problems finding the big stuff that's produced by the aftermarket: radiator, alternator, water pump, wheel bearings, ball joints, brake parts, etc. What will be hard to find are miscellaneous interior and exterior parts like trim pieces. A trip to the junkyard is almost a certain thing for those kinds of parts. Or ebay.

There were a lot of Rangers produced and I still see a lot of older ones on the road where I live (no road salt in the winter). It was certainly a very popular truck, but if you want to get an idea of how many trucks are currently in the junkyard, just look at the inventory of places like Pick n Pull or other yards on Row 52 or hollanderparts.com.