6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Question on the valve issues on the early 6.7L

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 04:16 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on the valve issues on the early 6.7L

My 2012 was built in January of 12'. Do you know if the valve issues that Ive heard of on the early models was fixed by the time mine was built. Im just curious.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2015, 04:54 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine and built on or before 3/29/2011 were affected therefore your truck will have the updated parts.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:01 AM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first model year as usual is the problem child, 2011 prior to the end of March 2011 had some problems, 2012 was unaffected, enjoy your truck, and just keep it serviced. use the right oil, Aluminum cylinder heads always scare me, Duramax had a tough time keeping them sealed, so they lowered the compression ratio, and they are holding up much better. You have no worry's.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:22 AM
longrange1971
Junior User
SWEET!!!!!! Thank you very much. That is a relief for me!!!

Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 PM
wharrell
Tuned

After a pause since March 8, as of today my active regeneration jackhammer valve issue is back.

I was merging into traffic and a regeneration started as I was merging building speed to around 45 mph and the engine valves started jack hammering at a level around 60% of the most severe case I have had.

This proves Ford full synthetic 5w-40w oil, Ford PM22A Cetane boost nor Archoil diesel catalyst to reduce soot will not fix the problem.

It is a factory defect with mine first showing up 3 months in at 4100 miles.

I would not doubt at all that the real truth is those engines that were held back and rebuilt due to issues February thru April last year were gradually dispersed out over the past year and i was one of the unlucky ones to get one of those engines. Many individuals don't give any concern, use no additives, use non Ford Oil, buy their diesel anywhere they please and do not drive their regenerations to completion and have no problems what so ever.

It is time for a full replacement truck from Ford.

1:38 video around 198mb in size in .mov format recorded on an iPhone the best I could in traffic.

Google Drive Shared Link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByXo...p=docslist_api

Old 05-21-2015, 05:17 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Originally Posted by wharrell
After a pause since March 8, as of today my active regeneration jackhammer valve issue is back.

I was merging into traffic and a regeneration started as I was merging building speed to around 45 mph and the engine valves started jack hammering at a level around 60% of the most severe case I have had.

This proves Ford full synthetic 5w-40w oil, Ford PM22A Cetane boost nor Archoil diesel catalyst to reduce soot will not fix the problem.

It is a factory defect with mine first showing up 3 months in at 4100 miles.

I would not doubt at all that the real truth is those engines that were held back and rebuilt due to issues February thru April last year were gradually dispersed out over the past year and i was one of the unlucky ones to get one of those engines. Many individuals don't give any concern, use no additives, use non Ford Oil, buy their diesel anywhere they please and do not drive their regenerations to completion and have no problems what so ever. This affects 2011 though 2013 model year 6.7L engines if I am not mistaken.

It is time for a full replacement truck from Ford.

1:38 video around 198mb in size in .mov format recorded on an iPhone the best I could in traffic.

Google Drive Shared Link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0ByXo...p=docslist_api
This is not the same issue being discussed in this topic. What you are describing is an engine that exhibits a runs rough/misfire condition only during the exhaust regeneration process that usually produces a knocking sound. There is a service bulletin (TSB 13-9-15) that addresses this by diagnosing/verifying the concern and replacing all of the exhaust valves and seals on the left cylinder head.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:18 AM
wharrell
Tuned

Originally Posted by Ford_Doctor
This is not the same issue being discussed in this topic. What you are describing is an engine that exhibits a runs rough/misfire condition only during the exhaust regeneration process that usually produces a knocking sound. There is a service bulletin (TSB 13-9-15) that addresses this by diagnosing/verifying the concern and replacing all of the exhaust valves and seals on the left cylinder head.
Thank you Keith. I was told initially that the TSB does not apply to the 2015 and if I am clear it states 2011 to 2013. I was told the 2015 has new valves

In talking with some people who had their 2011 to 2013 engines torn down, the problem came back after a few thousand miles

Also, the most recent individuals (6) who have had this issue show up in new 2015s in the first few thousand miles of use have not been told to tear the engine down and rebuild the valves. Instead they have been told the issue is under 'engineering investigation' and to monitor oasis for further updates.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:12 PM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Received 104 Likes on 36 Posts
Hmmm. This is the first I have heard of this and I have a very early built 2011 Super Duty with the 6.7. Can you point me to more detailed information?

-gascan

Old 05-25-2015, 06:16 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Originally Posted by wharrell
Instead they have been told the issue is under 'engineering investigation' and to monitor oasis for further updates.
This means exactly what you might be thinking. Ford does not know exactly what causes it OR they do and they are not sure how to correct it. YET. I have full confidence that the Ford engineering team will figure it out and issue a repair. This is the common progression for this type of situation.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
This means exactly what you might be thinking. Ford does not know exactly what causes it OR they do and they are not sure how to correct it. YET. I have full confidence that the Ford engineering team will figure it out and issue a repair. This is the common progression for this type of situation.
Great.... Now this will be in the back of my mind while I travel. Fortunately I have 75,000 trouble free miles on my 2011. I plan on making a long haul with my 5er from Austin, Texas to South Dakota in July. I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

-gascan

Old 05-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Ford_Doctor
Elder User
Personally, I don't think it's worth being on pins and needles over since you have 75,000 miles on a four year old-ish truck it's probably safe to say your truck is fine. ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Don't get me wrong on this - I fully understand the potential for a failure to present inconveniences, unexpected repair costs and such but statistically the number of failures is very small in the grand scheme of things. This is one of the negatives with respect to the Internet and public forums. We read about problems and horror stories and get worked up into a tizzy over something that will most likely never happen, failing to realize how small of a percentage of vehicles are actually affected. Remember, you are more likely to read about someone else's misfortune more than all of the happy truck owners but if you peruse the forums long enough there are many feel good posts as well. Think about it, do you ever hear someone COMPLAINING about how awesome their truck is? Again, ENJOY YOUR TRIP.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 AM
gascan
Laughing Gas
Personally, I don't think it's worth being on pins and needles over since you have 75,000 miles on a four year old-ish truck it's probably safe to say your truck is fine. ENJOY YOUR TRIP!

Don't get me wrong on this - I fully understand the potential for a failure to present inconveniences, unexpected repair costs and such but statistically the number of failures is very small in the grand scheme of things. This is one of the negatives with respect to the Internet and public forums. We read about problems and horror stories and get worked up into a tizzy over something that will most likely never happen, failing to realize how small of a percentage of vehicles are actually affected. Remember, you are more likely to read about someone else's misfortune more than all of the happy truck owners but if you peruse the forums long enough there are many feel good posts as well. Think about it, do you ever hear someone complaining about haw awesome their truck is? Again, ENJOY YOUR TRIP..
You make a very good point and I appreciate you pointing it out. My 2011 Super Duty is absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned. It consistently out performs my expectations. I have always taken very good care of it and all preventive maintenance steps have been taken at the correct times. I always try to use high quality fuel and have used PM-22A since I purchased it new. I appreciate the re-assurance.

-gascan

Old 05-25-2015, 07:21 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a May '10 build truck. The only noise issues I have is occasionally it will sound like and old Cummins and it'll do that for a few minutes and then go to quiet mode. This only seems to happen after it has been just started and for a few minutes after the start. Of course there's the standard typewriter noise all the time.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:27 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
Mine is a May '10 build truck. The only noise issues I have is occasionally it will sound like and old Cummins and it'll do that for a few minutes and then go to quiet mode. This only seems to happen after it has been just started and for a few minutes after the start. Of course there's the standard typewriter noise all the time.
My 2011 250 does the same. It will be kind of loud for the first minute or so of running , then it will quite down . It doesn't sound like anything wrong with it just a little different sounding for the first minute or so. I also agree. My truck is only 4 months old now. Bought it with 68,000 miles on it. I absolutely love this truck. It's a king ranch fx4. You always hear about the bad more than the people that don't have any problems

Old 05-25-2015, 11:13 PM
ColdH2O
Senior User
My F 350 was built in June 2010 and is just days short of 5 years old. The truck runs and looks like it is brand new. With the exception of driver's side electronic mirror that failed a couple of months ago, I've had no problems. And as one poster indicated earlier in this thread, this is perhaps the best vehicle that I've ever owned.

As Ford Doctor has suggested, there's probably quite a few like us out there that have had few if any problems but you don't hear from them very often. Yes, we aware of the potential for a valve issue, but there is not convincing evidence that catastrophic engine failure due to the valves is an inevitable fate for our trucks given only a small number of trucks that have actually had this failure. And many of us have insured ourselves against this small possibility with Ford ESP or other plans. The cost of that mirror was $1200, but I only had to shell out $100 to get it fixed under this plan.

Quick Reply: Question on the valve issues on the early 6.7L